DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need for cellular for my air2?

Ntexguy

Reactions
I have recently changed drones from mavic pro to mavic air2. My ipad mini 4 with cellular will not cope with the demands and I need a new pad. My question is...if I purchase
a newer mini without cellular what exactly what am I giving up? Obviously a pad without cellular is less money but, do I really need it. If this makes any difference, I do not fly waypoints.
I would be grateful for any input.
Mike

... without cellular what exactly what am I giving up?..
Mainly nothing besides that the map view will not update. If you really want that to work you can connect the Tab to your phone over a hot spot connection.

I have recently changed drones from mavic pro to mavic air2. My ipad mini 4 with cellular will not cope with the demands and I need a new pad. My question is...if I purchase
a newer mini without cellular what exactly what am I giving up? Obviously a pad without cellular is less money but, do I really need it. If this makes any difference, I do not fly waypoints.
I would be grateful for any input.
Mike
I have been flying an Air 2 with an iphone 11 Pro for two years. It works perfectly. I also have a DJI sun hood in case I need it, but rarely do. My iphone is fitted in a Lifeproof FRE protection case, for which I bought a straight through Lightning cable for the RC input
(as the case obstructs the 90 degree plug, supplied). The iphone screen is very clear plus you have your phone, wifi, bluetooth, apps, etc. 👍😎🇳🇿

I had to upgrade from iPad mini 4 to 5 to use Fly. No cell needed except to use "follow me" as it doesn't have GPS capability. Active track still works though. Save the money.

Mainly nothing besides that the map view will not update. If you really want that to work you can connect the Tab to your phone over a hot spot connection.
I apologize for my lack of understanding, but what do you mean when you say ‘map view will not update’? Thanks so much for your response
mike

To get an idea why not just disable all internet connections with your current iPad and see what happens?

I apologize for my lack of understanding, but what do you mean when you say ‘map view will not update’? Thanks so much for your response
mike
Instead of seeing the live view on the app (what the drone camera sees...) you can bring up a map instead ... that map needs a internet connection to load. So if you're without connection that map will be just blank.

With a WiFi only Tab you can solve this by connecting the Tab over WiFi to your mobile phone (which have mobile data activated) ... this will restore the map.

Below a clip that shows the map view ... both full map view & smaller corner view & how to bring it up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom