DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need help and recommendations about Yagi antennas

Brancell

Reactions
Hello guys, I'm new here and a Mavic Mini user for about a month.

I've recently bought Yagi antennas with 2.4 GHz. Unfortunately there are not enough stores which sell these products in my country so I could get a bad one which has amateurly placed rods to a 3D printed boom. Reflector and director rods have crooked and twisted shapes, they're not straight and symmetrical. And the signal distance is increased only about 1 km (1.7 km with default usage to 2.7 km with my new poor quality Yagi's).

I've purchased a 3D printer and I want to make a decent Yagi antenna myself. I've searched for sizes and dimensions for different numbers of rods that I want to use ect. but each calculator gave deficient and different results and informations I found were inconsistent. So my first help request is about these: is there a decent online calculator for this or are there websites which have informations or can teach methods or are there some videos about this ect. ?
I wanna make an antenna like this one : Hand-made Yagi Uda adapter antenna

And my second question is
about my unsatisfying Yagi's crooked rods. Could this be the cause of the lower effect than I expected or I'm having an average increase in signal distance with Yagi's? These are the photos of the one of my Yagi's :

forum.png

And this is the same photo with an edit I made to indicate distorted shapes:

forum2.png

1km is a good increase in range for a passive antenna booster

Reactions: Mavic Mini
1km is a good increase in range for a passive antenna booster
Thank you for your opinion. Yes it might be but acctually I'm more interested in making my own antenna, especially provides about 10-12 dB gain.

Also might have done better with 5.8Ghz yogis. Less crowded spectrum.
Thank you for you reply. Yes, I can try to make a 5.8 GHz Yagi's also, But for Turkey and a rural area like I live in, they alway recommended ones with 2.4 GHz. But I think it's worth to try, thank you.

About the crooked rods, I wouldn't sweat it. Large diameter director and reflector elements are much more forgiving in spacing and frequency. Relative to the antenna size, your elements are pretty big.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but normally, the director elements get shorter by about 3% to 5% for each successive element. Your directors appear to be the same length.

A really good book is Yagi Antenna Classsics - yagis, quads, loops and other beam antennas by ARRL.

About the crooked rods, I wouldn't sweat it. Large diameter director and reflector elements are much more forgiving in spacing and frequency. Relative to the antenna size, your elements are pretty big.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but normally, the director elements get shorter by about 3% to 5% for each successive element. Your directors appear to be the same length.

A really good book is Yagi Antenna Classsics - yagis, quads, loops and other beam antennas by ARRL.
Thank you for your help.

Yes, the sizes are like 59mm reflector then 47 mm, 48 mm, 47 mm in order to the end.

I'll check that book, thank you so much!