DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need SD card answers!!

Reactions
Do I need an sd card reader to transfer the video to my computer? Or can I Use the transfer cable that comes with the mavic air?

Do I need an sd card reader to transfer the video to my computer? Or can I Use the transfer cable that comes with the mavic air?
no need to remove SD card, the cable can be used to transfer data onto laptop / pc whichever you use

However if you use the AC as a card reader, you have to have it powered on.
Of course if your recording is on the 8GB internal storage, you haven't any choice.

Reactions: crosswired
remember also that to transfer your videos to your laptop/computer then you do need your battery inserted into the drone and if the file is large and you only have a little battery power left it might not be enough to transfer everything, i simply remove the card ( i know its a pain) and then insert it into the adapter that came with it and i have a slot on my laptop that the sd card fits in and transfer it that way

So the cable can also be used to transfer from the sd card?
You can ... but it's awkward and a lot slower than popping the SD card, putting it in a $3 adapter and using that to copy to your computer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
I find it a complete PITA to remove the SD card so I always use the cable and connect to my pc where it shows as another drive. I then import photos directly to Lightroom and videos I drag and drop into my desktop 'drone vids' folder.
Sure it's slower but it's easier and yes you do have to power on the drone.

Reactions: EricE and Thomas B
I try with a similar removal tool or putting a piece of tape on the micro SD, but removing the card is a mass and there is the risk to damage either the slot or the card. For this reason I always use the cable, that is anyway mandatory to download the files from the internal memory. And, at the end, the time for the complete operation is not so different. The only warning is: remember to remove the gimbal cover, because you need to power on the model to transfer your files.

I always use the cable to remove my files. It may take a little longer but it saves you fidgeting with the SD card. It also saves you from forgetting to insert the card.

Works fine with cable from drone to computer if battery is charged enough. I don’t do it because it is slower than from a fast USB3 card reader, and it uses up some of the life of the expensive aircraft batteries unnecessarily.

Moving parts always risk a chance of damage, especially when we are rushing. Would I rather damage a card or card reader then the port on my drone or computer?

all you have to do is pop the card out with a slight push with your fingernail and then use your nail under the card and it comes right out..I'm 81 I can do it..anyone should be able to. Scotch tape works well too

Or one of our own has this for sale... Erzurum peezy!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato