DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need timelapse advice please

Paul Harvey

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello all. I have a question about time lapse with my Air2s:

I want to shoot a time lapse of some roof repair being done on my one-story house roof. The company estimates the job should take three days working about 8 hours a day.

How long should the finished clip be?
What interval should I use? (most important, I think)
Frame rate?
Shutter speed?
Auto or manual settings (it should be sunny all three days)

Any other suggestions or advice?

Thank you!

(P.S.: I did search the forums before I asked)

Look in YouTube there are several tutorials.
This one was for the mini,just didn’t have the time to search for
the Air but sure ones there. Maybe there’s something in this that might help you.

Reactions: Paul Harvey
Look in YouTube there are several tutorials.
Thanks Dirk but I've already tried searching. I found the one you linked also. However nothing I found answers my questions :/ The nearest I could find told me about settings for long-term construction events. What I need to shoot is just a small fraction of those. But thanks anyway!

Reactions: dirkclod
Thanks Dirk but I've already tried searching. I found the one you linked also. However nothing I found answers my questions :/ The nearest I could find told me about settings for long-term construction events. What I need to shoot is just a small fraction of those. But thanks anyway!
Had wrong video up but changed it. But if that one don’t help hopefully someone will see this and answer you. Good luck 👍

Hello all. I have a question about time lapse with my Air2s:

I want to shoot a time lapse of some roof repair being done on my one-story house roof. The company estimates the job should take three days working about 8 hours a day.

How long should the finished clip be?
What interval should I use? (most important, I think)
Frame rate?
Shutter speed?
Auto or manual settings (it should be sunny all three days)

Any other suggestions or advice?

Thank you!

(P.S.: I did search the forums before I asked)

Are you planning to do this with a drone or with a fixed-mount camera? If you're using a drone, you're only going to be able to capture portions of each day's work, with each portion's duration limited by the battery. So, perhaps you should consider three or four flights per day. Within each flight, I'd try shots at 5 - 10 second intervals.

The best way to do it is going to be to have multiple time-lapses from different angles to keep things interesting (and accommodate flight length limitations). Or even better, include real time shots interspersed with the timelapse (if that's good with the client). As far as interval, I'd probably go around 6 seconds which will give you a 10 second clip (300 frames at 30 frames per second) in a ten minute flight. I usually go for around 10 seconds (300 frames) for a hyperlapse so I have plenty to work with, but the exact length (and to an extent interval) isn't very critical because you can always change the speed in when you're editing. I'd also definitely go with manual exposure because you don't want it to change during the shot. If it's not windy you could also try using longer exposures to get more natural motion blur, but you do risk getting blurry shots if the drone moves.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones