DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need to slow yaw rate in N mode but no success. What am I missing?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
My yaw movements with my M2P have always been jerky and I thought I could change things within the EXP settings. I have to be missing something because yesterday I was just out testing how to change the rate of yaw and nothing I did within EXP changed anything. It didn't matter how I set the rudder settings from .40 to .90 the rate of yaw and stick movement didn't change.

I gotta be missing something. How do I get the yaw rate in the N mode to be more progressive and smoother? TIA

i dont own a MP2 but in the settings for the camera and gimbal on my MPP it is possible to set the gimbal smoothness and end rate settings to give smoother video as you are yawing
other than that, a trick i use to give a smoother yaw, is to rest my thumb on the RC and just moving the stick with the side of my thumb, it helps to control the amount of stick movement

Reactions: Cirdan
My yaw movements with my M2P have always been jerky and I thought I could change things within the EXP settings. I have to be missing something because yesterday I was just out testing how to change the rate of yaw and nothing I did within EXP changed anything. It didn't matter how I set the rudder settings from .40 to .90 the rate of yaw and stick movement didn't change.

I gotta be missing something. How do I get the yaw rate in the N mode to be more progressive and smoother? TIA

Are you flying in TRIPOD mode? I think the EXP values are just for P mode. I could be wrong though.

Chris

Advanced aircraft settings same page that is before expo settings under sensitivity it’s “yaw endpoint” or “yaw movement limit” depending on your version of DJI Go 4
6D9C9D51-3506-4E84-9F01-1934EF20CB2B.png
EE479C7E-E4F3-450F-8FFF-367EC7F4160C.png

Reactions: Cirdan
Reactions: old man mavic
@vindibona1 the gain setting is a bit like the damper in a cars suspension ,without it the spring would continue to bounce up and down till all the energy in it had been dispelled
when the giros sense movement such a wind blowing on the drone then the IMU will counteract that movement by using the ESC to alter the speed of the appropriate pair of props to keep the drone as stable as possible ,the gain is set as close as possible to cancel out the reaction of the change in speed of the props involved so that they do not over compensate and then move the drone too far in the opposite direction ,this would result in the drone oscillating back and forth trying to keep it stable, it is best not to alter the gain settings unless you have the knowledge to do so

i dont own a MP2 but in the settings for the camera and gimbal on my MPP it is possible to set the gimbal smoothness and end rate settings to give smoother video as you are yawing
other than that, a trick i use to give a smoother yaw, is to rest my thumb on the RC and just moving the stick with the side of my thumb, it helps to control the amount of stick movement
Ah the wisdom of the elders!

Are you flying in TRIPOD mode? I think the EXP values are just for P mode. I could be wrong though.

Chris
P mode for sure.

I just read breezed through the entire 70 page M2 manual and not a word about these settings. I did learn that the M2 can have dual controllers with a primary and secondary. Seems like a handy feature when you have one guy flying and because the gimbal and move horizontally and vertically you can have another in charge of filming. Can one use a smart controller as the primary and the regular one as a secondary? Does DJI sell controllers separately?

DJI often leaves me scratching my head. They use terms (that they sometimes switch) such as "gimbal endpoint" or "yaw movement limit". What does that actually mean? Is there an instruction manual for this stuff buried somewhere where one can learn what this means exactly? How do these terms relate to yaw speed? It may all be in English but it's in a different language.

@vindibona1 those settings have no direct bearing on the yaw speed itself ,gimbal smoothness controls how the gimbal reacts when yaw is applied and gimbal endpoint is how it reacts when the yaw has stopped,the endpoint setting controls how the gimbal comes to a halt ,depending on the setting, it can stop suddenly or carry on moving for a short period so smoothing out the stop, the other setting starts to move the gimbal as the yaw starts

P mode for sure.

I just read breezed through the entire 70 page M2 manual and not a word about these settings. I did learn that the M2 can have dual controllers with a primary and secondary. Seems like a handy feature when you have one guy flying and because the gimbal and move horizontally and vertically you can have another in charge of filming. Can one use a smart controller as the primary and the regular one as a secondary? Does DJI sell controllers separately?

DJI often leaves me scratching my head. They use terms (that they sometimes switch) such as "gimbal endpoint" or "yaw movement limit". What does that actually mean? Is there an instruction manual for this stuff buried somewhere where one can learn what this means exactly? How do these terms relate to yaw speed? It may all be in English but it's in a different language.
Yea you can that. I actually find the DJI goggles to be a better investment though.

If you want a co-pilot to control the gimbal all they have to do is turn their head and look at where they want the gimbal to look at it. It’s easier to control that way and you can use the goggles as a single operator the same way just as easily.

Yea you can that. I actually find the DJI goggles to be a better investment though.

If you want a co-pilot to control the gimbal all they have to do is turn their head and look at where they want the gimbal to look at it. It’s easier to control that way and you can use the goggles as a single operator the same way just as easily.
I went out to test today and found a couple YouTube tutotials on "smoothing" yaw and gimbal. I got it to yaw slower, but still quite jerky.

Here are the notes that I took and settings I tried to apply. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
1622938526956.png

I went out to test today and found a couple YouTube tutotials on "smoothing" yaw and gimbal. I got it to yaw slower, but still quite jerky.

Here are the notes that I took and settings I tried to apply. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
View attachment 130291
The yaw is pretty jerky on the Mavic. You’ll eventually get use to it but it takes a long time.

I actually hot glued some extenders to my control sticks to try to my them less sensitive. I even went so far is to hack the aircraft firmware and change the yaw speed to even lower then it allows you normally. I did eventually get use to it though after a couple years of flying a lot and now I just have it on normally obtainable speeds but admittedly I use my Inspire 2 for any video recording now.

The yaw is pretty jerky on the Mavic. You’ll eventually get use to it but it takes a long time.

I actually hot glued some extenders to my control sticks to try to my them less sensitive. I even went so far is to hack the aircraft firmware and change the yaw speed to even lower then it allows you normally. I did eventually get use to it though after a couple years of flying a lot and now I just have it on normally obtainable speeds but admittedly I use my Inspire 2 for any video recording now.
I've only been flying for about a year now so I'm still developing fine skills. But I gotta say, getting my Mini 2 set up has been so much easier for smooth filiming. But the M2P's images and video is just better. What I'm trying to do is control the M2 with the sticks and then use a VR headset to control the gimbal. Today I tested both Litchi and DroneVR. While Litchi is clearer in the display the gimbal movement is jerkier than DroneVR. But in both cases getting smooth yaw was a challenge even with modified settings. I was practicing by doing a manual orbit around a local hotel, trying to get the right amount of yaw with the lateral, forwards and backwards movement. It was more controllable, but not smooth enough. I need my videos to look like a professional is piloting and not have to rely on post so much to cut out jerky movements.

Do you think it's truly helpful to have extended joysticks?

Using Tripod mode and the pinch method for the sticks gives me very good control and smooth filming results.

I've only been flying for about a year now so I'm still developing fine skills. But I gotta say, getting my Mini 2 set up has been so much easier for smooth filiming. But the M2P's images and video is just better. What I'm trying to do is control the M2 with the sticks and then use a VR headset to control the gimbal. Today I tested both Litchi and DroneVR. While Litchi is clearer in the display the gimbal movement is jerkier than DroneVR. But in both cases getting smooth yaw was a challenge even with modified settings. I was practicing by doing a manual orbit around a local hotel, trying to get the right amount of yaw with the lateral, forwards and backwards movement. It was more controllable, but not smooth enough. I need my videos to look like a professional is piloting and not have to rely on post so much to cut out jerky movements.

Do you think it's truly helpful to have extended joysticks?
Yea I think it helps. You know with the DJI goggles you can control the gimbal yaw as well so if you look right the camera pans right without moving the aircraft which helps make it smoother. Using the Litchi of drone VR thing pretty much sucks.

I think part of the issue is understanding how the EXP and end point of the yaw work together. Based on one of the videos I reduced my end point considerably where I possibly should have put it at 50%? Has DJI put out any documentation or tips on how to manage the advanced settings?

In this exploration of settings I have to wonder why DJI hasn't created "groups" of settings within each flight mode that one can switch to for different uses so that one can almost instantly switch into different sub-modes. At least in the Go Fly app for the Mini 2 and presumably the MA2 and A2s you can make the adjustments for each mode separately and relatively easily. My feeling, based on very few Go4 updates, is that DJI is abandoning that app/platform and focusing on Go Fly.

Using Tripod mode and the pinch method for the sticks gives me very good control and smooth filming results.
I've tried the pinch method but it feels so awkward. I suppose it would be easier if the controller were fully supported with a lanyard so I'm not trying to hold onto the box which seems to stiffen my finger movements. I'm sure it's just me as with computers I don't deal well with laptop track pads nor standard mice. I use old Logitech Marble Mice on all my computers as I can just roll my fingers over the trackball. I'll try pinching again, but it just feels so foreign.

Reactions: Camino Ken
I think part of the issue is understanding how the EXP and end point of the yaw work together. Based on one of the videos I reduced my end point considerably where I possibly should have put it at 50%? Has DJI put out any documentation or tips on how to manage the advanced settings?
Both settings refer to how stick inputs translate to aircraft movement.

Obviously no stick input or stick center resting position is 0 degrees of yaw per second. Yaw Movement limit is the max speed the aircraft will yaw in degrees per second at full control stick right or left.

So at this point we know how the aircraft will behave at minimum and maximum stick input but what about everything in between? Well that’s where Expo comes in.

Rudder Expo effects partial stick input. More specifically it tells you exactly what percentage of the Yaw Movement Limit will be output at half stick input (halfway between stick center resting and full stick).

So if your Yaw movement limit is 30 and your Rudder expo is .5 then your output at half stick input right or left will be 15 degrees per second.

If your Yaw Movement limit is 100 and your rudder expo is .5, then at half stick input your aircraft will yaw at 50 degrees per second.

If your Yaw movement limit is 30 and your rudder expo is .10 then your output at half stick input will be 3 degrees per second. This means that the first half of the stick input will be very low sensitivity and the second half will be very sensitive.

The key with expo is you want it low enough so that you can easily control yaw in the first half between stick center resting and full stick but not so insensitive that it’s not really doing anything in the first half forcing you to use the second half only where it’s more sensitive and you are moved likely to make jerky movements.

To set these settings, first find what you want to be your maximum yaw speed or yaw movement limit. It should be slow enough that you can control it easily but if it’s too slow you may find it hard to maneuver quickly when you need to. In reality the lowest value of 30 is still pretty fast.

Once you have decided on a yaw Movement limit adjust your expo to taste. A rudder expo of .1-.25 is generally well tolerated. Do a slow panning maneuver and if your stick is past half stick input increase it a little. Expo values of over .5 are almost never used.

Advanced knowledge: There is some what is called dead band which is the small area around stick center resting which will not translate into any movements. This is so if the sticks become slightly uncalibrated it won’t mean the aircraft will move without pilot input. When you are doing expo don’t mistake this for it being too insensitive. You can’t change the dead band so just be aware of it.

Then theres stuff that you just have to develop a feel for. For instance if the aircraft is rolling or pitching (movement laterally) it takes a little more stick input to get the aircraft to yaw due to orientation of the aircraft making it easier to control. Also when the aircraft is ascending it might be harder to smoothly yaw the aircraft than when descending. DJI has done a pretty good job of tuning so these effects are minimal.

I would definitely recommend getting a lanyard as it helps bigly with relaxing and focusing on flying.

Reactions: joeywestside
In this exploration of settings I have to wonder why DJI hasn't created "groups" of settings within each flight mode that one can switch to for different uses so that one can almost instantly switch into different sub-modes. At least in the Go Fly app for the Mini 2 and presumably the MA2 and A2s you can make the adjustments for each mode separately and relatively easily. My feeling, based on very few Go4 updates, is that DJI is abandoning that app/platform and focusing on Go Fly.
Expo settings can be set independently for P mode and Sport mode. Just switch to the mode you want when setting.

To set different yaw movement limits for different modes you can hack the software to do that. I can tell how if you’d like theres a free service to do it.

Gimbal setting are universal. The Inspire 2 has different programmable gimbal settings and on the Cendence remote. You can even change gimbal parameters with custom levers on the bottom of the remote so I imagine this is a feature DJI reserves for the professional models.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000