DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Negative height reading

Chips

Reactions
Many people ask about maximum altitude and I am aware that the altitude shown is relative to where you are. If you are 100 metres above sea level and you go to the max permissible altitude of 500 metres, you are actually 600 metres ASL.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has seen a negative altitude reading which I assume would occur if you take off from 100 metres ASL - say on a hillside - and then you descend to lower than the level you took off from.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has seen a negative altitude reading which I assume would occur if you take off from 100 metres ASL - say on a hillside - and then you descend to lower than the level you took off from.

Yes, there are even people who have flow lower than -500m to see if there was a bottom limit. There was not.

Reactions: Chips
I was wondering if anyone has seen a negative altitude reading which I assume would occur if you take off from 100 metres ASL
Like this?
i-xvHVfcz-X2.png

Reactions: zzxrox and Chips
My place in NH is about 200 feet up from the bottom of the driveway. The last time I was there, I took off from the cabin and flew down to the bottom. Yup, negative altitude. I haven't had the guts yet to land somewhere else and then take off and come back, but I will do that soon.
I can't imagine how freaky it would be, to be hiking through there and have this little alien craft descend down from the sky. BTW: This is all my land, so I wouldn't be infringing on somebody else's space. I would never do something like this on someone else's land unless they knew, and approved of my "visit."

Reactions: Chips
I haven't had the guts yet to land somewhere else and then take off and come back, but I will do that soon."

That would reset the altitude. This guy (ab)used it by landing on a skyscraper and then taking off again allowing him to fly well over 500m above his starting point....

That's a clever trick to beat the restriction. I've been thinking about landing at a distant point and taking off again and coming back, just for the heck of it. Presently practicing doing it within walking distance. I have a garden wall so I want to see the effect on the signals when it drops below the wall.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frostseb