DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Negative Height

MavBoka

Reactions
How can I get the mavic 2 to go lower than where is was launched... example is I am at the top of a cliff and wanted to lower the mavic down the cliff in a search and rescue type citation... or I took off from a bridge and want to lower the mavic 2 to look close at an object... I took off from a bridge the other day and went to lower it and it stopped at a negative 2 feet and would not go any lower... not sure what to turn off or how to allow it to lower.. I was practicing looking for someone in the event of a search and rescue

That seems odd.
I’ve done the lower than takeoff point and not had a problem.
Bridge made of metal?

I haven't had any problems going below the take off altitude either.. I've gone below -100 feet.

Were you getting any messages on the screen when it stopped descending? Could it have been an object avoidance thing?

Yes this was a metal bike path bridge, also high voltage power lines about 300’ away so I wasn’t for sure what the problem was.. I took off from bridge flew about 100’ away from bridge opposite power lines and tried to lower it would go negative 2 feet and wouldn’t go any more so I flew another 75’ further away and tried again with no luck.. this is my first attempt at flying below take off height and I was using my smart controller.. any bridge in my neck of the woods is metal or concrete with tons of rebar... I’ll try again another location at later date super windy here

Yes this was a metal bike path bridge, also high voltage power lines about 300’ away so I wasn’t for sure what the problem was.. I took off from bridge flew about 100’ away from bridge opposite power lines and tried to lower it would go negative 2 feet and wouldn’t go any more so I flew another 75’ further away and tried again with no luck.. this is my first attempt at flying below take off height and I was using my smart controller.. any bridge in my neck of the woods is metal or concrete with tons of rebar... I’ll try again another location at later date super windy here

If you are unable to figure out the problem then you could also post the flight log(s) here - they should explain what was happening.

Metal anything around launch point may not be a good idea.

There is nothing in the drone's programming to prevent it from flying lower and the bridge and power line had no effect.
Post recorded flight data if you want to solve the mystery.