DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbour complains . And what i did .

themis4

Reactions
Today i flew in a big car parking empty area near my home .
Suddenly a sport car approached me.
Was a man about 40-45 years old and he ask what i am doing there .
In the beginning i confused because 2 min before i did my pis . :p
But the guy talks about my drone.
He complained for the fact that i flew above his company .
Then i showed him from my mobile ,Google maps in details his company .
Aerial photos in high resolution .
Τerrestrial photos from google car .
Thumbswayup
Ηe was surprised from my reaction and left.
Of Course , while he left , I left also , because you never know . ;)
Sorry for my poor English.

when i first got my mavic last Feb i had it hovering in the street in front of my house about 50 ft and a guy from the next street drives over and asked if it has a camera and i said yes,so he says if i see it again he’s going to shoot it down so i shook my head and lol’d restrained my mouth since my 6 yr daughter was beside me,i was just working through the menu’s and such,im thinking what a prick,people are retarded

I got permission from my town to fly in a remote area of its public park. During my first flight there, an employee came over to me and had a very belligerent attitude. I politely indicated I had permission from the town to fly there and then asked him he wanted to try flying the Mavic. After about 15-minutes of flying, his whole attitude changed!

Sometimes, uninformed people present an wonderful opportunity for us to gently educate and, in doing so, we defeat prejudice and promote our passion. Unless they are carrying a loaded weapon, of course. ;)

I was recently flying in a field next to my parent's apartment. An elderly gentlemen came out and started berating me, accusing me of looking in windows, and said if he had a gun, he would shoot it down. I politely replied that if he did, he would go to jail.
He was still 8***** off. Another person came out and enjoyed watching me fly--I showed him the church across the street and the sunset thru the spires--he thought it was a great show.

Reactions: Piggy
I talked to my neighbors that I am flying my MP around the neighborhood and they were ok with it. I promised them that I would not be making photos of them sun bathing in the back yard and I may fly over their house, but I don't hover over their house. I do try to respect other's property and privacy. My neighbor across the street is one of our local police officers, his wife works for the sheriff department, and one at the end of the block is a deputy sheriff. The land east and north of me for a mile or so is a city park, walking and bike trails, undeveloped acreage, and woods. So I figured if I was doing something wrong by now, I would have been talked to. I guess I am pretty lucky where I live.

when i first got my mavic last Feb i had it hovering in the street in front of my house about 50 ft and a guy from the next street drives over and asked if it has a camera and i said yes,so he says if i see it again he’s going to shoot it down so i shook my head and lol’d restrained my mouth since my 6 yr daughter was beside me,i was just working through the menu’s and such,im thinking what a prick,people are retarded

This very same thing happened to me. It’s like dude...you’re not that important to me. I don’t even know your name let alone care about what you have for breakfast. I’m taking pictures of my own house and having fun flying around. Get over yourself.

Reactions: htommy
If I were not in to drones I could see how someone would feel threatened. The few flyers that abuse the privilege and snoop and get in the news do give the hobby a bad reputation. While it is legal to fly over private property I still let my rural neighbors know that I will not be going over their homes. I've also provided them, with permission, beautiful large photos of their property as a sign of good will. Then they asked if they could pay me something for them, which, of course, I declined. One tip is to always fly high when going over private property to avoid being shot down. A high moving target is hard to hit. Even when you're right it can be very inconvenient and troublesome to prove it.

I don't know how much difference it makes but I bought one of theses (Drone FAA UAS Certificate of Registration - Hobbyist ID Card for wallet) online (you know where). To most it looks official and MY opinion is that it when people see it they assume that it allows me to fly there and I have never been hassled. I attach it to my shirt, jacket for all to see.

Last edited:
Love the card!
I've laminated a copy of the local rules (French) so if anyone has a go, I can point to it and ask them to show me which rule I'm breaking. In France the government also has a site showing all the NFZs so I often take a screenshot before taking off, so I can pull it up quickly if anyone questions me. I've had about 6 - 7 people approach me, with a "NOT happy" face, but all have been fine by the end of the discussion. In all cases I've invited them to come have a look at what I'm shooting, which has invariably taken the edge off things. They can see (and hear) that this is the worst spy device around, and also see from the still images and video that I'm obviously shooting countryside.
If I'm shooting countryside and see people working their fields, I've asked if they have any issues with me shooting. Again people have all been cool with this and I've offered to send them pics (which most have said they want). I've even made a few friends as a result.

I simply reply "you shoot at my drone I shoot at you!!"

I simply reply "you shoot at my drone I shoot at you!!"

or "you shoot at my drone, I will kill you".

Seriously though, I am glad other people are now explaining that they experience this behaviour from the public. In my short time of flying, and I am very sensible, I have had people approach me in the UK and say they would shoot my drone if I fly over them. Many months ago I found it hard to find many people who were having these issues and nearly dropped the hobby as I thought it must just be my bad luck and the area I live. It is very interesting to read how people are dealing with these things when they happen, as I find it hard to not get nervous and would love to be able to talk my way out of trouble with these ignorant people.

Same happened to me 2 days ago. Been living in my gated community for 8 years, with know one ever complaining if i fly from my house down to the wooded area below the property. New neighbours moves in 2 houses down from me. Husband comes out yelling at me to stop flying over his house, even if i am at max. altitude of 120 meters. His wife is very paranoid. Just told him that i will stay away from his house, and continued to fly. Thought by myself that no one is that important to spy on.

Reactions: TerryJ
Happened to me as I flew in a beach
A old lady ask me if I spying after her family .
So I showed her the video feed
And the mp was a few kilometres far from us so she can feel safe for her family

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_