DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Neighbourhood busy bodies

We all know what the law says. We are all entitled to fly anywhere we choose other than NFZ's. That includes basically anywhere. Quit whining about others lawfully flying their drones.
Couldn't have said that better myself.

Reactions: Rpeeps
Everyone thinks we have a million dollar camera on our drones.

I have always had mainly Positive Feedback as I often involve any curious people, show them what Mavic can do etc.
I am very aware of respecting others space , I even actually take this elderly woman dog for a walk with Mavic as it chases it along the beach, Dog loves it! (more like it wants to rip it apart. lol) but of course most dogs will Try grab it on landing ,so I much prefer the Peace and Quiet of many of my Central coast Beaches. Having 20kids all wanting to see this Beauty fly gets a bit to Suffocating.
My local Surf Life saving Club president wants me to do Aerial shark Patrols in Summer ,I also find The Local surfers when I ask them ,don't mind me brushing up on my active Track as they catch waves.
The main thing I believe is that it's up to the individual to Show people we are not Perving or intruding on others Private space .So far many an artist has asked me to Take Pics of Cliff Faces and headlands ,that usually require a Boat or Copter to Do , We all have a responsibility to win pople over ,Not alienate them.
My thoughts anyway.

Being a member of this forum for some time now means I'm fully aware of how drones are viewed by those who dont have them but I have been shocked to learn how just much. After visiting a friend in essex this weekend who has a large garden backing onto a golf course we took the mavic out for a quick 15 minute spin, over the course only and pretty high up 250-300m. This morning he has sent me a link to his community FB page already inundated with 200+ comments from scathing neighbours all wanting to know who it was and how dare someone fly "near their property with a spy drone"! I feel pretty bad for him now as these are his neighbours who will find that witch evetually but I think the world has actually gone mad. Do I post the flight path to this FB page to prove I was nowhere near anyones property or do you think that will stir the hornets nest?

I would just laugh it off and keep flying. People like to complain and *****, that is just what humans do. Keep flying your mavic until the engines burn up.

I have a whole fleet of drones from many manufacturers (and DIY), but I love the Mavic because it is stealthy with a good camera and gimbal. I always fly as if someone will object, so I usually take off from somewhere out of sight. Once in the air, the Mavic is not easy to see if you are more than 100 feet or so in the air. Usually no one knows I'm even flying in the area. Only once did I hear someone complain, and that was a bird watcher cautioning about scaring nesting birds, and he was really directing it towards my son who was flying a large Yuneec (which was VERY visible).

I can SORT-OF understand why someone might not like the idea of me flying a drone there as it's a very peaceful natural place where people go to get away from the hustle and bustle of the world.

exactly

thats why I will not fly somewhere people go to relax. unless the area is generally loud with music or parties or gatherings

but if its somewhere quite, why should I bother others?

its happened to me plenty, I am at the very end of the beach shoreline and a group of guys come and start blaring music and getting loud. like guys sometimes do. nothing wrong with that. i politely asked them to move away a bit and they did

I play golf with the guys a few times a month. If I was on the course and heard a drone I'd definitely look for it out of interest and curiosity. But would it affect my game or my enjoyment level? **** no! I might not even hear it because we'll have the Bluetooth in the cart pumping out Zac Brown and Florida Georgia Line while enjoying cold beer.
My MP is nearly silent at 300 feet so yeah, sounds like a bumblebee.
If you look back at both of our post I think you'll see the complaining and "snarking", that was a good one, lol... was all coming from you my friend. I'm just not concerned with someone who gets their feelings all hurt over something so insignificant.
From here on out, I guess you and your overwhelming powerful society will just have to put your big boy pants on and deal with it.
Cause God knows I'll surely end up in prison flying my drone legally and responsibility.
I needed a good laugh today. Thank you sir!

I'd worry more about my bad slice knocking the drone from the sky. Doubt if the pilot could hear the word "FOUR " !

Each time I told a neighbor or non neighbor I had a drone, first response was "Does it have a camera?" So now I begain conversation "I have a RC airplane." then after short exchange telling how I use I explane the "D" word.

Others experience the camera question? Might break the ice with "airplane."

I'm torn on the subject. I enjoy flying my drone but I enjoy my privacy more. I don't fly into neighbor's airspace. Not because of laws but because of common decency and respect. Flame away.

I have a Phantom 2 and have been wanting to buy a Mavic for a couple of months but Neighborhood Busy Bodies are part of my concern. With the P2 I've had about 50/50 on concern and that's Cool. I always try to be tactful when you get a "You Can Fly THAT Over My House...". This is why I was hoping the Mavic made less noise. I also live in a (Northern) Golf Community (down South). Some of my neighbors are not "fond" of my cars or motorcycles anyway. I have Never flow the P2 over the golf course while people were playing (but there's nothing they can do). My other reason for my attraction to the Mavic is being able to conceal it going a launch location.

It's just the World we live in and how people think today.

get some leaflets made up and get them posted through the doors stating , please don't be alarmed if a observation drone has been spotted in your area, there's nothing to worry about, its only the local council mapping the area for a proposed new bypass/motorway.
they'll soon forget about the drone and focus on the new road way potentially being built

Reactions: hookalakupua
This morning he has sent me a link to his community FB page already inundated with 200+ comments from scathing neighbours all wanting to know who it was and how dare someone fly "near their property with a spy drone"!

I LOL'd at this part. My community's FB page is filled with old ladies terrified of the wild coyotes in the surrounding areas. Terrified that a coyote is going to swoop away with their little poodles in its jaws. They call the police emergency number every time they see one. Everyone needs a boogie man i suppose. Looks like you and your drone are it!

I have seen plenty of talk of drone hate on the forums. I thought it was just an American thing to be honest. Never encountered anything like it myself in the UK. What you're describing sounds as much like a Facebook issue as a drone one. Facebook breeds and encourages utter narcissism. Probably why these bunch of self obsessives believe you would have any interest in filming them. If it wasn't for putting your friend in a difficult position then I'd definitely pipe up and respond.
Curiously, these are the same FB folks who often post selfies on the web. Go figure. Those selfies often have the locations associated with the images as well.

Reactions: Nikon1 and seadog
Being a member of this forum for some time now means I'm fully aware of how drones are viewed by those who dont have them but I have been shocked to learn how just much. After visiting a friend in essex this weekend who has a large garden backing onto a golf course we took the mavic out for a quick 15 minute spin, over the course only and pretty high up 250-300m. This morning he has sent me a link to his community FB page already inundated with 200+ comments from scathing neighbours all wanting to know who it was and how dare someone fly "near their property with a spy drone"! I feel pretty bad for him now as these are his neighbours who will find that witch evetually but I think the world has actually gone mad. Do I post the flight path to this FB page to prove I was nowhere near anyones property or do you think that will stir the hornets nest?

I have had a similar problem with my neighbour. I took off in my garden and went straight up to 150ft and then flew over the fields behind us. When I returned I hovered over my garden for a moment and took some photos of my wife cutting the lawn. I then felt some water and noticed my neighbour trying to hose my drone out of the sky. I landed the drone and had a chat with her to which she said that she didn't like my new toy as it was spying on her. I politely told her that if I wanted to spy I would choose someone younger and decent and not someone her age (60). She has now sold her house so not sure if it was the drone activity or me warning her, in a polite way, that if she damaged the drone we would fall out and I would bill her.

So pleased i read this link. Had a visit from 2 community officers last night. Both were very nice asking if i had a drone as they had, had reports of drones from some people, flying around their house and were scared it was looking inside their windows. These officers had been clearly told it was me and knew the legalities, as do i .

I was pleasant invited them in stated the drone was new and over the last 3 months i'd flown twice over my back garden/yard. I took off from my garden stayed over 100 metres, but under 120 metres and never stopped over anyones house. All video deleted, no nuisance and no invasion of property. I stated i knew the law and was well within it. They asked if i was going to continue to do this and i said very odd occasions, but quite frankly it has nothing to do with others (in a nice way). I also said at over 100m the drone is unable to look into peoples house or identify people and i'm not that sad.

The saying, the best neighbours are no neighbours at all. I insisted they inform the people who had complaint of my intend and update them on the law!!!

Reactions: Jenkins
We have our past times. They have theirs. Why not come together and put a flag on the drone?

You have to watch between 1-2 seconds for the hook shot to pass our Inspire LOL.
#Dronegolf #Wehavetheforcetocontrol #Wewillpunishyou #STNG #borg

I politely told her that if I wanted to spy I would choose someone younger and decent and not someone her age (60). She has now sold her house so not sure if it was the drone activity or me warning her, in a polite way, that if she damaged the drone we would fall out and I would bill her.

My son was flying his Yuneec around his house and the neighbor lady intentionally threw something at it and knocked it out of the sky, breaking it. He called the cops and they sided with my son. She paid a hefty bill to replace his broken drone.

Reactions: zhongfu
We have our past times. They have theirs. Why not come together and put a flag on the drone?

You have to watch between 1-2 seconds for the hook shot to pass our Inspire LOL.
#Dronegolf #Wehavetheforcetocontrol #Wewillpunishyou #STNG #borg
Right handed golfer, that was a slice not a hook.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan