DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NEOWISE

I grabbed this shot from 391' with my Mavic Air 2 tonight. Bracketing of eight 8-second exposures, processed with the 'Merge to HDR Pro' automation tool in Photoshop. I am no expert at doing that, but I am learning. With this camera, it's a lot of sky and not much comet. But I pulled as much out as I could.

Attachments

• DJI_0169.jpg
    DJI_0169.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 33
Just took these, not great but I'm happy with it. Somewhere between 300' to 400' up, 4 second shutter and ISO was either 800 or 1600. I could actually see it with naked eye. Wind did pick up and gave me a warning, but calmed back down. May try again tomorrow. Definitely fun!

Attachments

• DJI_0256.JPG
    DJI_0256.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 25
  • DJI_0259.JPG
    DJI_0259.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 22
Last night. ISO 1600, 4 second exposure, Mavic Mini hover at 5'. Interesting to note that the pic taken by Coadyd in Ireland above shows the comet slightly to the right above those 2 stars compared to mine. Shows how far the comet traveled in the 8 or so hours between when these were taken.

Attachments

• COMET 7:18:20 BEST SO FAR.png
    COMET 7:18:20 BEST SO FAR.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 18
I took my drone out last night, but first focused on taking pictures with a more suitable camera. Unfortunately, by the time I was ready to take the drone up, I could no longer find the comet with my eyes or long exposure with my iPhone.

Here is a photo taken with my DSLR and a 500 mm lens (iso 400). 30-second photos are the best I can do from my light polluted city. :(

Attachments

• Comet Neowise C2020 F3 - 20200719-2300h (2 light proc - small).png
    Comet Neowise C2020 F3 - 20200719-2300h (2 light proc - small).png
    5.3 MB · Views: 16
Reactions: dronerdave
Last night. ISO 1600, 4 second exposure, Mavic Mini hover at 5'. Interesting to note that the pic taken by Coadyd in Ireland above shows the comet slightly to the right above those 2 stars compared to mine. Shows how far the comet traveled in the 8 or so hours between when these were taken.

Very cool.

Did you have a lot of throw-aways like I did? Only 1 in 4 of my 4-second drone photos were sharp enough.

If you can get about 10 or more good shots, you can combine them (photo stacking) to increase contrast, and reduce noise.

Very cool.

Did you have a lot of throw-aways like I did? Only 1 in 4 of my 4-second drone photos were sharp enough.

If you can get about 10 or more good shots, you can combine them (photo stacking) to increase contrast, and reduce noise.
Yes, probably took 20 or more pictures. Most were too blurry. Very windy last night so kept it low, tried to wait for calm winds, but almost impossible. I do not know how to do photo stacking but will look into it, still have quite a few good pics, but may not be able to stack because I kept going up and down, if only few feet. Thanks.

I took a handful of pictures last night, almost zero wind, so tried some 8 second exposures. I'll download and stack them tomorrow, hoping to get something decent.

I can see the comet from my porch now with the naked eye, so will be trying to get a many pictures as possible in the next couple days.

Well, this did not work out so well. The cloud that you see on the left of the picture was slowly moving across, since from ground level I could not see the comet I took a handful of pictures and hoped to be able to stack them, but alas, the cloud covered the comet entirely in all but this one. So, it's a noisy and fairly poor image to be honest. 8s exposure, ISO 800, f/2.8

Attachments

• neowise_m2pro.jpg
    neowise_m2pro.jpg
    713 KB · Views: 10
Interesting to note that the pic taken by Coadyd in Ireland above shows the comet slightly to the right above those 2 stars compared to mine. Shows how far the comet traveled in the 8 or so hours between when these were taken.

Combination of comet and Earth relative motion. A little bit of parallax involved.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman