DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Never flew a drone before until now...

forrestgump

Reactions
I never flew a drone but was so keen to get my hands on a mavic. After a lot of research how to get settings just right i shot this after some small practice in my yard. So approximately 1 hour practice in... Best purchase ever!!!

Congratulations. Not bad at all for being the result of an hour-long practice before capturing the images you did, which I quite enjoyed. Your focus, framing, and subject matter kept my eyes trained upon your video short. I liked your music selection, too. Good production values as well.

I'm no expert here, but let me toss this out to you: You may have already considered this - as I am now - but you may want to look into getting a good ND filter set for your Mavic's camera. They will take your filming/photography to the next level as they allow you greater control over key camera settings and will result in the smoothest, cinema quality video and images you could hope for. I haven't been able to locate a decent set of the ND filters for my Mavic due to high demand for them, but I see a HUGE difference between my Mavic's images and images taken with my other drone which I do have ND filters for. Night and day difference.

Keep doing what you're doing, because it looks good to me. Happy flying and filming!

Congratulations. Not bad at all for being the result of an hour-long practice before capturing the images you did, which I quite enjoyed. Your focus, framing, and subject matter kept my eyes trained upon your video short. I liked your music selection, too. Good production values as well.

I'm no expert here, but let me toss this out to you: You may have already considered this - as I am now - but you may want to look into getting a good ND filter set for your Mavic's camera. They will take your filming/photography to the next level as they allow you greater control over key camera settings and will result in the smoothest, cinema quality video and images you could hope for. I haven't been able to locate a decent set of the ND filters for my Mavic due to high demand for them, but I see a HUGE difference between my Mavic's images and images taken with my other drone which I do have ND filters for. Night and day difference.

Keep doing what you're doing, because it looks good to me. Happy flying and filming!

If someone made the exact same video with & without filters & conducted a poll asking which video they preferred (without revealing which video used filters) then I bet it would be a pretty close vote. Most of us are not professionals & can't tell the difference in 99% of the videos. If you added a lens hood then the vote would be even closer.

Reactions: forrestgump
You're probably right. The Mavic does a wonderful job on its own without ND filters in capturing excellent images, especially if you take the time to make manual camera settings for the lighting conditions present. And perhaps I may discover the costs and time it takes to install the filters aren't worth the differences I may see in the final images once I try out a set of Mavic ND filters. But I do know the filters made noticeable positive improvement on my other drone, and the videos and information out there about ND filters I've seen for the Mavic have demonstrated to me that ND filters do make a difference with this aircraft, too.

Maybe it is just a matter of how critical one is about their final image quality. Me, I want the biggest bang I can get for my buck. And if a ND filter can allow me to achieve that by giving me greater control over my ISO, exposure values, and shutter speeds - which these filters are designed to do, resulting in better overall image quality - then I'm all for them. But this is why they make more than just vanilla ice cream. There are a whole lot of people out there with very different tastes, so in the end it comes down to each his own.

Safe flying, filming and photography.

Last edited:
You did a great job (erg goed gedaan, maar dat begreep je denk ik wel). Keep it up. Wondering what your background is in filming or Photography? You have got an eye for it.

Which part of The Netherlands (Can the Netherlands be second) are you from? I live in the Hague, in Scheveningen.

Happy Flying
Brewsky

Thank you for the kind words. And yes I'm looking in to using ND filters. Especially the opening shot really needed an ND filter. Could not correct this in post... Any suggestions on good, affordable ND filters?

Thank you for the kind words. And yes I'm looking in to using ND filters. Especially the opening shot really needed an ND filter. Could not correct this in post... Any suggestions on good, affordable ND filters?

I wish I did but I'm also still in the market for a nice ND filter set myself for my Mavic. Right now the most popular, most used brands (mainly Polar Pro as well as DJI itself) are all backordered everywhere because of the high demand for them but the short supply available.

And you have to be careful what you buy, too. I recently purchased a 6-piece ND filter set for my Mavic from a company called Neewer. They were advertised as being made for the Mavic Pro and could be used during startup, something you definitely want to look for when you purchase ND filters. However, once I mounted one of the ND filters and powered everything up, I immediately got a motor overload warning message on my screen followed by another error message regarding the gimbal. So, those filters were a no go despite what was claimed in their product description.

Personally, I think I'm going to stick with DJI products and puchase their 3-ND filter set - which is inexpensive but includes the most commonly used and needed filters for most lighting conditions - when they are no longer on back order, a matter of a few weeks. I just think it makes sense to purchase as many Mavic add ons made directly by DJI instead of from a third-party vendor because I'm sure DJI took their engineering into consideration when developing their ND filters, etc., to be used with their product.

I'll follow up with a post after I get my DJI ND filters, but that is what I'd suggest to you. Good luck. I hope you can easily find the answer to your filter situation, too. But like I said, your footage was great even without ND filters, so just keep doing what you're doing because it is good!

Thanks all! I've bought the ND filters straight from DJI. Seems they are available at the moment and not to expensive. Anyone experience with them?

I'm tickled to hear that Mavic ND filters are available again as I'll be making my filter purchase ASAP. How quickly things can turn around in this business. Most of Polar Pro's Mavic ND filters sets are now startup-compliant, too, which is a big improvement over the ones that couldn't be mounted during startup. Means to me that means they are now better designed, then, for use with the Mavic and pose no threat to the gimbal. Cool beans.

Stunning footage for a first video.

You must have a background of filming or cinematography surely! Beautifully framed and produced.

And totally appropriate music score too.

Well done.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Stunning footage for a first video.

You must have a background of filming or cinematography surely! Beautifully framed and produced.

And totally appropriate music score too.

Well done.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Thanks for the kind words. Not yet in the filming or cinematography business but searching my way into it :)

You did a great job (erg goed gedaan, maar dat begreep je denk ik wel). Keep it up. Wondering what your background is in filming or Photography? You have got an eye for it.

Which part of The Netherlands (Can the Netherlands be second) are you from? I live in the Hague, in Scheveningen.

Happy Flying
Brewsky

At the moment i have no background in filming or Photography. Just starting with some video's on youtube because I like doing it :)

Reactions: M4RK
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54