DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Air 3/DJI RC2/Goggles 2 & Integra/Motion Controller 2 Firmware Update

Ok for a second there, I thought you meant included in those list of FPV items is the original DJI Remote Controller 2 meant for FPV.

RC-2 is a given, we know that works with Air 3...and now Mini 4 Pro. The others are a little surprising and unexpected but I'm sure welcome for some who would like to try FPV. Not my cup of tea (FPV on a camera drone) but interesting how it is made to work with an O4 drone; this could be good news!

What happened to Goggles V2? LOL

What is "RC-2?" As stated, this all works with the DJI RC 2.
I guess I was thinking DJI FPV Remote Controller 2 which is what some folks are trying to get working with their Air 3 FPV needs. Seems like you'll need to connect your Goggles with MC2 to fly FPV on the Air 3.

Confusing terminology. The Air 3 comes with "RC 2" so please let us know what sw version update to the RC 2 officially makes the RC 2 compatible with the Goggles.

I got tired of waiting for firmware that may never come, so I returned Mini 4 Pro. DJI needs to stop releasing new drones with half-baked firmware. I learned my lesson.
That's now how it works in the 2020s. There's the 80/20 rule, you can't wait until the drone reaches 100% perfect or you'll be waiting forever. That's the entire purpose of the software update over the air so you can fix bugs and provide minor feature updates *after* launch. Back in the 1980s, you got a product from the store and it could never change during it's entire lifetime and you were stuck with the same tech forever; not cool.

I'm super glad DJI released the Mini 4 during the summer giving drone pilots enough time to fly before the winter set in. I'm glad they didn't wait until November or December to start selling the Mini 4 because that would put a dent in the BF/Holiday sales introducing a new drone that late in the year and frankly November launches (previous Minis) kinda sucked. I'm not even sure BBY will take a new sku in November.

Adding FPV to Mini 3 probably does little to nothing for that drone so I would be shocked if FPV Mini 4 capability even made a priority list. The Mini 4 is complete without FPV and should they add it later down the line (no hurry), seems to me they have to make the cutoff to the new Goggles somewhere....maybe this is it? Mini 4 + Goggles 3 + RC2 in 2024. Because who want to get stuck with and continue to complain about MC2.

That's now how it works in the 2020s. There's the 80/20 rule, you can't wait until the drone reaches 100% perfect or you'll be waiting forever. That's the entire purpose of the software update over the air so you can fix bugs and provide minor feature updates *after* launch. Back in the 1980s, you got a product from the store and it could never change during it's entire lifetime and you were stuck with the same tech forever; not cool.

I'm super glad DJI released the Mini 4 during the summer giving drone pilots enough time to fly before the winter set in. I'm glad they didn't wait until November or December to start selling the Mini 4 because that would put a dent in the BF/Holiday sales introducing a new drone that late in the year and frankly November launches (previous Minis) kinda sucked. I'm not even sure BBY will take a new sku in November.

Adding FPV to Mini 3 probably does little to nothing for that drone so I would be shocked if FPV Mini 4 capability even made a priority list. The Mini 4 is complete without FPV and should they add it later down the line (no hurry), seems to me they have to make the cutoff to the new Goggles somewhere....maybe this is it? Mini 4 + Goggles 3 + RC2 in 2024. Because who want to get stuck with and continue to complain about MC2tuank tell me more how it works.

Adding FPV to Mini 3 probably does little to nothing for that drone so I would be shocked if FPV Mini 4 capability even made a priority list. The Mini 4 is complete without FPV and should they add it later down the line (no hurry), seems to me they have to make the cutoff to the new Goggles somewhere....maybe this is it? Mini 4 + Goggles 3 + RC2 in 2024. Because who want to get stuck with and continue to complain about MC2.
You can’t be serious right? Anyone that’s owned a DJI product for more than a year would understand that DJI always seems to release a new version of their pre-existing drone that lacks features already found on the old model. It’s my fault for assuming this wouldn’t be the case this time. Drone returned!

I’m on mobile and didn’t mean to quote you twice.

Reactions: Torque
You can’t be serious right? Anyone that’s owned a DJI product for more than a year would understand that DJI always seems to release a new version of their pre-existing drone that lacks features already found on the old model. It’s my fault for assuming this wouldn’t be the case this time. Drone returned!
Except that's not how it works. When the Mini 3 was launched (before it was compatible with the Goggles), they were probably already working on the Mini 4 which means the Goggles were not working with the Mini 4 either. Later, the Mini 3 would get a sw update after launch to make it compatible with Goggles and therefore they had to decide to drop those same updates into the Mini 4 to make it compatible or leave it out and update it later. They made the right call to leave it out.

They most certainly did not make the right call by leaving features out of a new product. Especially when a cheaper version (Mini 3 Pro) has said features! How does that make any sense to you? lol.

I went ahead and returned my Mini 4 Pro and learned my lesson. Never buying a new drone from DJI as it will come with half-baked firmware.

They most certainly did not make the right call by leaving features out of a new product. Especially when a cheaper version (Mini 3 Pro) has said features! How does that make any sense to you? lol.
If that is what happened then it doesn't make sense to me. Except....that's not what happened.

I wouldn't say the Mini 3 from 2 years ago being $50 less than the Mini 4 today is exactly cheaper. Doesn't matter since the MSRP doesn't dictate feature set.

I went ahead and returned my Mini 4 Pro and learned my lesson. Never buying a new drone from DJI as it will come with half-baked firmware.
Regardless, I guess I get where you are coming from when it comes to your expectations. For a fast-moving company like DJI that keeps the technology flowing, gives the customers what they want, and doesn't let anything stand in their way unlike other companies who you can tell are crippling their portfolio by trying to micro-manage the technology and feature set on the irrelevant stuff, I suggest you skip every other DJI version and that way the new product launches will come closer to your needs. If you give it more than a year, maybe closer to 2 or 3 then you will have a drone ready on the day you are ready to buy it that may stand a chance to having everything you need that day. DJI has to make drones for everybody (not just you and me) so understandably they'll keep the pace brisk. Unfortunately this could mean you may have to pay a little bit more since prices do go up over the years. But I guess the few dollars more are worth it especially if you get everything you want.

I am skipping the Mini 4 and the Air 3 and the upcoming Mavic 4 (if I can resist) and I'm finding it works ok for me.

Reactions: pinballwiz86
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom