DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New battery firmware - battery hot

• Thread starter Deleted member 109934
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109934

I have loaded new firmware on all my batteries last night and noticed drone gets so hot when turned on I actually got the message: Drone board is hot please turn it off (battery temp was 47C after blowing at it to cool down). I was not even flying, just had it on on my desk and played with DJI Fly app, I drained batter by just having it on in about 45 min.

Did anyone updated battery firmware and noticed the same?

the MM unlike other mavics does not seem to have a cooling fan,or large metal heatsink on board ,so it would be advisable to have one of those small desk fans blowing on it when doing updates of any kind, just to get some airflow over the drone to prevent it overheating

I have loaded new firmware on all my batteries last night and noticed drone gets so hot when turned on I actually got the message: Drone board is hot please turn it off (battery temp was 47C after blowing at it to cool down). I was not even flying, just had it on on my desk and played with DJI Fly app, I drained batter by just having it on in about 45 min.

Did anyone updated battery firmware and noticed the same?
I didn't even know you could update the batteries, how did you update them.

the MM unlike other mavics does not seem to have a cooling fan,or large metal heatsink on board ,so it would be advisable to have one of those small desk fans blowing on it when doing updates of any kind, just to get some airflow over the drone to prevent it overheating

The update took 30-60 sec and was fairly fast, no issues there.

But now on new firmware when I leave AC on and play with Fly app, AC seems to be overheating. I'm not flying or updating the drone, but have AC and Controller ready to fly playing with settings, the bird gets hot quite quickly just by being turn on.

it depends on what the update actually does but after an firmware update a lot of them include the battery so when you do an update the battery that is in the drone at the time will be updated then when you put the next battery in a message will come up on the app screen saying inconsistent firmware please update you then follow the instructions for this procedure,then any more batteries you may have need to be updated as well it also does this if you purchase new batteries the first time you use them

The update took 30-60 sec and was fairly fast, no issues there.

But now on new firmware when I leave AC on and play with Fly app, AC seems to be overheating. I'm not flying or updating the drone, but have AC and Controller ready to fly playing with settings, the bird gets hot quite quickly just by being turn on.
it will get hot there is a lot going on in a small space dont forget it is a mini computer why do you think laptops and towers have fans like i said just have a fan blowing over it during the process dont forget when it is flying its the movement through the air that helps to cool it

Reactions: AIredale1
it will get hot there is a lot going on in a small space dont forget it is a mini computer why do you think laptops and towers have fans like i said just have a fan blowing over it during the process dont forget when it is flying its the movement through the air that helps to cool it

I get it, all I'm saying before the update it was not that hot, and I was not getting messages about being too hot. And I played with it even more because I was trying to get this thing to fly.

Testing now how quickly temp increases by just beeing on, freshly charged battery 100% from cold 23C AC on and just seating on the floor;

5 min - 28.7C battery 97%
10min - 33.3C battery 95%
12min - 34.8C battery 94%
15min - 37.5C battery 93%
17min - 39.0C battery 92%
20min - 41.5C battery 91%

Wow 20min 10% of the battery gone, that fast in my eyes, how many times someone will go out turn the AC on and leave it while doing some stuff to get ready to fly, I guess always keep your "Bird off" is the best solution.

It does sound a lot but it is using its radios, GPS, gimbal and other sensors. It's doing a lot of stuff not just sitting there.

This is slightly positive in one aspect for us cold winter fliers!!

Didn't think about that but yes, totally true, yesterday in -3C I got good 20min flight and still 35% battery left.

Just not to self don't idle the bird :)

it is not really meant to be sitting around for 20 mins no wonder it gets hot but just do me a favour do your test again this time with a fan blowing over the drone and compare the temps that you get

:) without the test I can tell you it will be way cooler :) I cooked him yesterday because I was exploring all the fly app options, and since I'm new I had to look at everything and it took a bit more than expected :) the older I get the slower I am :p

Reactions: old man mavic
:) without the test I can tell you it will be way cooler :) I cooked him yesterday because I was exploring all the fly app options, and since I'm new I had to look at everything and it took a bit more than expected :) the older I get the slower I am :p
no worries but your not old wait till you get to my age then you will have a good excuse for being slow good luck with your new flying venture and keep coming on the forum if you need help

Did a couple 15 min flights today... my hands got cold long before the MM needed a new batt.. the temperatures were all Within normal range ( it was also -5C outside )

Reactions: old man mavic
Did a couple 15 min flights today... my hands got cold long before the MM needed a new batt.. the temperatures were all Within normal range ( it was also -5C outside )
what was the remaining battery power after those flights just out of interest

interesting was it windy during the flights or was it fairly calm conditions i ask because if it was calm, then that just shows just how much the cold conditions affect battery life

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato