DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New buyer, should I wait?

What I would expect in Mavic "2's" would be upgraded cameras and/or more flying sensors. Sooner or later,, doubt DJI will drop the Mavic platform any time soon. If you are happy with the size, portability and current photo capability go ahead and commit to the platform and get the best basic deal you can, with the understanding you might crash or replace the drone sometime.

A number of Mavic deals lately, Costco, Fry's, the Alpine white package, etc. You can get quite a bit for near $1000, down from around $1300 a few months ago.

What do you mean by locked firmware?
It's not locked -- you just cannot downgrade below a certain firmware version.

This is probably not a big deal for the average Mavic pilot. I've been running the current firmware versions for some time now and have had absolutely no trouble.

What do you mean by locked firmware? It doesn't update firmware like a MP or MPP?

You can't downgrade to lower versions than 1.4.0100, which means you're limited to 500m ATOP (a big issue for mountain/desert flyers), as well as other limits, such as slow descent rates that only waste battery and make Mavic less fun.

You can't downgrade to lower versions than 1.4.0100, which means you're limited to 500m ATOP (a big issue for mountain/desert flyers), as well as other limits, such as slow descent rates that only waste battery and make Mavic less fun.

I got it. I have the MPP and can't downgrade either. A lot of my flying will be in the mountains and it would be nice to get rid of the 500m limit.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Ordered the Alpine, does come with 3 batteries, confirmed. Even looking at refurbs, a new MP with 3 batteries for $1050 seemed like a great price. Excited to get it!

I hope this is sarcastic... Not everybody has the money to buy two drones so that one can just sit around and collect dust.

One just needs to get a 2nd drone without the remote and the charger (with 10% educational discount, its less than USD700 with a 2nd battery/more props included). The 2nd battery and additional props can be used without activating the drone (which means the 1-year warranty of the spare drone can be extended indefinitely).

After flying more than 15 hrs to a remote destination for sightseeing, one simply cannot afford to spend a portion of the vacation without a DJI drone. Agreed ?

reserve_MP.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. All makes sense. I think I’m going to buy. Looking at the Alpine White version for $1049, it comes with two extra batteries and that seems to be the biggest part of the fly more combo, will also get the new props from DJI, so given that the Alpine White comes with the batteries and I’ll be buying a third party backpack for it to fit other gear, is that my best bet?
Excellent plan. MP2 will most likely be released for next holiday season. You won't regret pulling the trigger now.

I tried to wait for the Phantom 5 or a generation 2 Mavic Pro, but the lower prices “forced” me to get a Mavic Pro last Friday.

I would have liked to have had a better camera in the MP, but I just didnt want to wait any longer. I’m just a hobbyist now so there is no “need” for 4K 60 fps, just a desire.

The portability and it being less loud than my Phantom 4 will keep me happy until I have to replace it due to theft, damage or loss.

Reactions: 51 Drones
Beware of updates and dont do any unless you read up on the outcome first. ... even if the New MP2 comes out , wait on that too. Do not jump on the 1st run , they usually have bugs like any 1st run. .... If you think youll get a lot of fly time in this time a year , buy now. if not wait till better weather , especially if your buying any insurance.

The sentence beginning with the word "Beware" is especially important. If the installed software works well, turn off auto-update for all the connected equipment, including your phone/tablet.

I got it. I have the MPP and can't downgrade either. A lot of my flying will be in the mountains and it would be nice to get rid of the 500m limit.
The 500m limit is relative to the starting point, not absolute. So, starting at 2500m you can still mount to 3000m with the drone.

The 500m limit is relative to the starting point, not absolute. So, starting at 2500m you can still mount to 3000m with the drone.
It's actually 400m, not 500m AGL (above ground level). So if you're launching at 2500m ASL (above sea level) you can fly up to 400agl or 2900msl. However, your drone has no idea what your true altitude is, so 400m AGL is your number.

Oh I see. Sorry!

the real question is: why did you bring back to life a 6 month old dead thread?

I think there may some confusion in this conversation... The 500m (METER) limit is horizontal *distance* (BVLOS). The recommended ceiling, or *height* is 400ft (FEET) not 400m, as you stated. The question at hand, about flying in the mountains is in reference to distance, not height.
What 500m horizontal limit are you referring to? The only 500m limit I know of is the vertical limit put in by DJI. What has a 500m horizontal limit? I think I'm out of the loop on something.

What 500m horizontal limit are you referring to? The only 500m limit I know of is the vertical limit put in by DJI. What has a 500m horizontal limit? I think I'm out of the loop on something.
You're right... I forget some times as my bird is modded. Wasn't there a place to set a distance limit (brick wall)? Even though I don't drink, I still drunk-text at times :).

You're right... I forget some times as my bird is modded. Wasn't there a place to set a distance limit (brick wall)? Even though I don't drink, I still drunk-text at times :).
Lol. There is a distance limit(horizontal) in the settings, but I'm pretty sure its turned off by default.

Ordered the Alpine, does come with 3 batteries, confirmed. Even looking at refurbs, a new MP with 3 batteries for $1050 seemed like a great price. Excited to get it!
Congrats, I got an Alpine White and really like the visibility factor. Three batteries is great, by the time I've made two more flights the first battery is usually charged up again if I don't take them down past 25%.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78