DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Canadian rules

I had passed the Basic Test no problem and decided to try the Advanced Test today - 76% :-(((. Unfortunately, I need to pass the Advanced Test to fly for my employment and I am on the list to become a Flight Reviewer. So close, yet so far. I have concerns about the relevancy of some of the questions. A few I remembered, and "Googled" after finishing the exam. Some of them I could not find a clear answer for online at all. I also reviewed the book that was recommended by a co-worker - Unmanned Textbook for UAS Studies.

Well completed my Basic exam today. First try I received a 74%. I can’t believe that most of the questions did not pertain to flying a drone! With no study material I found the exam to be difficult. It’s nice to know the other “stuff” but you will not use it. Who ever needs to take this.....good luck.
You are right about not needing to know most of that "Stuff" to fly a drone . . that's the issue you don't need it . . . but what they are really asking is "Do you know enough about "aviation?" . . so you are not a threat to other people's lives and property. If you'd like to know better what they expect you to know it's a tough slag through the legalize of the PART-IX Regs. . . BUT here is a Plain English summary of the new rules you can download in a pdf on this page.

I had passed the Basic Test no problem and decided to try the Advanced Test today - 76% :-(((. Unfortunately, I need to pass the Advanced Test to fly for my employment and I am on the list to become a Flight Reviewer. So close, yet so far. I have concerns about the relevancy of some of the questions. A few I remembered, and "Googled" after finishing the exam. Some of them I could not find a clear answer for online at all. I also reviewed the book that was recommended by a co-worker - Unmanned Textbook for UAS Studies.
The Advanced exam is a bit more effort alright. I have had a career in aviation and I found it challenging . . but to be honest, it's fair. It could be better, but it's fair. The Reviewer Exam is likewise pretty comprehensive, but unless you're the guy who designed the exam . . .you need to do some prep. Just trying to read though the regs, it's a tough slag through the legalize of the PART-IX . . BUT here is a Plain English summary of the new rules in 3 pages. You can download some other useful pdfs on that page.

Yeah I agree with that. The regs needed updating and that part of the testing and licensing process is very valid imho. I think what people are posting about mainly are the questions in the testing which do in fact have no relevance to our particular hobby. Things like radio channels to use to call a tower or monitor manned aircraft activity in controlled airspace,where basic operators are specifically forbidden to fly,wing icing, etc.etc. I could go on.... this whole licensing roll out is just another Example of how our government takes something that doesn’t have to be all that complicated and completely screws it up. If TC wanted a smooth transition to the new regulations, maybe instead of having Garneau on tv every day,they should have been busy publishing the bloody handbook so people can look up the relevant information and study for the test. I fully understand why people are frustrated with these government clowns and why people are using search tools to look up information while taking the test.
Download the PART-IX Plain English summary on this page

OK that's enough . . seems like I'm over posing here . . just trying to move the needle on understanding the regs

Took the Advanced Test again today and passed with 82%. I agree with Cookedinlh that those flying under an advanced license need more aviation knowledge than "pushing the left stick forward makes it go up...". I would say that out of the 50 questions, there were 7 or 8 that have very limited to no relevancy to flying a drone, and a couple that appeared to be based more on opinion than established facts. Will be moving forward to the process to get certified as a Flight Reviewer.

Ive been flying DJI drones for 3 years now and wanted to fly my drone to make some extra money doing what i like.I signed up for the Coastal drone course and took my time and did the exam prep questions over and over until i felt confident to take the advanced test.Got a 62 % so i went over my mistakes and found the answers.One of the questions i got wrong was the drinking before flying ( i said 8 hrs as per the Coastal advanced drone course) it was wrong ,the new rules are 12 hrs.I did my homework and took it again and got 68% and went over my mistakes once more.With my knowledge from the first 2 exams under my belt i took the exam again doing the easiest questions first and saving the hardest ones til last.I was confident i did a good test but only scored 60% ,thought i should have had it in the 70s at least.One question i got wrong was airport runway markings i said they were based on magnetic heading but it seems like that is the right answer to me.Also got spell a word using phonetics wrong but i practice that a lot think i was right anyways.Googling is not so good , sometimes you have only a little more than a minute to answer obscure questions.I will research my wrong answers as best i can and take it again but i felt somewhat cheated with the last test i took.The Coastal drone course was great but some of the questions on the exam seemed irrelevant to flying a drone. ie agonic line.Gives me hope someone took the exam 6 times to pass it, i know how you feel !! Thanks guys !!

I'm going to Canada in June from the UK . Have there been any updates or changes , It was a mess last time i looked . ? Or is best for me to Leave my Mavic in the UK this summer ?
I have public liabilty and basic test . But still seems to be not worth the hassle imo.

I'm going to Canada in June from the UK . Have there been any updates or changes , It was a mess last time i looked . ? Or is best for me to Leave my Mavic in the UK this summer ?
I have public liabilty and basic test . But still seems to be not worth the hassle imo.
I'll look tonight and see if there are any updates for visitors to Canada.
Cheers

DJI has finally released a list of their drones that meet the regulations for flying with an advanced flight certificate.

The Compliant drones are:
• M600 Series • M200 Series • M200 V2 Series • Inspire 2Mavic 2 series • Mavic Pro • Mavic Air • Phantom 4 series • Spark

More drones may follow.
Cheers

Wasn't able to find any new information but I sent and email hopefully I hear something back, i'll keep you post if I do.
Cheers

Reactions: Col
The knowledge requirements for the basic and advanced licenses are found here: Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada .

I was able to find the info for section 1 here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/PDF/SOR-96-433.pdf

Where can we find the info required to learn everything that is required in the knowledge requirements? There is a reference section at the end of the knowledge requirements document, but I didn't find it too helpful. Does anyone know where we can find the required info for each of the 8 sections? Is it just all of the documents referenced?

Your help is appreciated!

I noticed DJI drones are now listed on Transport Canada website for approved drones, but none of them are approved for near people and over people, only controlled airspace.

Choosing the right drone - Transport Canada

I hope this changes. There's only 2 drones on that list that can fly over people. I wonder what the Transport Canada requirement is flying over people. I hope it's not a parachute...

Wasn't able to find any new information but I sent and email hopefully I hear something back, i'll keep you post if I do.
Cheers

This may help ...... https://www.inskyphoto.com/new-air-regs-2019.html

Also Ive updated my Licensing page with a few more links to relevant Canadian Regs and other helps
Have a look here Links to info for passing UAV/RPAS in Canada Include link to "Knowledge Requirements" Not exhausting just some topic descriptions that cover everything. The AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual) is 488 pages . . and should have virtually all the answers on each of these topics but not necessarily the UAV specific questions. . . . but those are covered in the PART IX. . . there are links for both the LEGAL PART IX and my PLAIN ENGLISH translation as well, on that page.

Last edited:
Looking at the new "compliant list" from Transport Canada I'm amazed that this thing is approved for flight over and near people but a Mavic2 is not . . Sure these guys at RVRD are PROs but this is not a safe thing to be around when it's hovering 10 ft over your head . . or passing by at eye level!! . . but it's the ONLY one listed for "Over people" while you can't bring a SPARK any closer than 100ft? . . this will have to change.

Looking at the new "compliant list" from Transport Canada I'm amazed that this thing is approved for flight over and near people but a Mavic2 is not . . Sure these guys at RVRD are PROs but this is not a safe thing to be around when it's hovering 10 ft over your head . . or passing by at eye level!! . . but it's the ONLY one listed for "Over people" while you can't bring a SPARK any closer than 100ft? . . this will have to change.
View attachment 68089

it's a stupid rule.. and somebody i know contacted them and asked, well what if we have a family gathering and theres 30 people there and we want to do a family photo. Transport canada told them it was fine and that the distance thing is more of a factor when people are 'unaware' of the drone being used... So right there, we have interpretation of the rules.. . some of it just seems like its so fuzzy when you hear stuff like this.

it's a stupid rule.. and somebody i know contacted them and asked, well what if we have a family gathering and theres 30 people there and we want to do a family photo. Transport canada told them it was fine and that the distance thing is more of a factor when people are 'unaware' of the drone being used... So right there, we have interpretation of the rules.. . some of it just seems like its so fuzzy when you hear stuff like this.
It will only matter when there's a lawyer involved

did anyone took already the small basic exam or the small advance exam... if soo do u have any hand outs or study materials it would be a great help thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+