DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Drone Enthusiast here!

paazel

Reactions
Hey Guys! Excited to join the community. I just purchased a pre owned Mavic Pro, and have a few questions!

- Does the phone/tablet I use have to have mobile data while flying? Was thinking of using my old Galaxy S7 exclusively for this.

- Cables: The original owner only supplied the IOS Remote cable, so I need to purchase a cable for micro usb, and USB-C. Anyone know where I can buy OEM ones, or just get from Amazon with good reviews?

- Gimbal Lock/Guard. I know the lock should be used when transporting drone, as for the guard, do I fly with it on or off? Is it just there for protection while transporting as well?

- ND Filter: DJI OEM or Polar?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
You do not need mobile data on your phone.

The SD card should be fine.

If I were you, I would use a regular USB C cable plugged into the bottom of the remote.

Gimbal- DO not fly with the lock on.

ND filter. I use the Neweer filters because they were cheap and I love them.. If you are going to fly over water a lot I would go with Polar Pro

You do not need data service while flying. Any good quality USB cable will do.

You need to remove the gimbal lock before powering up the Mavic, but you can leave the cover on if you want (this will generally affect photo/video quality negatively, however). I've never flown with it on, though. I'm not sure what the point would be, except maybe to provide some minimal amount of protection if you're just buzzing around for fun.

Read the manual repeatedly until you understand all of it, ask questions about things you don't understand!

Have fun, these things are a blast.

Hey Guys! Excited to join the community. I just purchased a pre owned Mavic Pro, and have a few questions!

- Does the phone/tablet I use have to have mobile data while flying? Was thinking of using my old Galaxy S7 exclusively for this.

- Cables: The original owner only supplied the IOS Remote cable, so I need to purchase a cable for micro usb, and USB-C. Anyone know where I can buy OEM ones, or just get from Amazon with good reviews?

- Gimbal Lock/Guard. I know the lock should be used when transporting drone, as for the guard, do I fly with it on or off? Is it just there for protection while transporting as well?

- ND Filter: DJI OEM or Polar?

Thanks!
Howdy from Wyoming @paazel , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Reactions: Flynz and paazel
Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Reactions: paazel
You do not need mobile data on your phone.

The SD card should be fine.

If I were you, I would use a regular USB C cable plugged into the bottom of the remote.

Gimbal- DO not fly with the lock on.

ND filter. I use the Neweer filters because they were cheap and I love them.. If you are going to fly over water a lot I would go with Polar Pro

Thanks! Will look into the Neweer, Polar are expensive!

You do not need data service while flying. Any good quality USB cable will do.

You need to remove the gimbal lock before powering up the Mavic, but you can leave the cover on if you want (this will generally affect photo/video quality negatively, however). I've never flown with it on, though. I'm not sure what the point would be, except maybe to provide some minimal amount of protection if you're just buzzing around for fun.

Read the manual repeatedly until you understand all of it, ask questions about things you don't understand!

Have fun, these things are a blast.

Thanks for the tips!

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s.
Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks! Will look into the Neweer, Polar are expensive!
Also, consider PGYTECH, SKYREAT, and Freewell.

Welcome to MavicPilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic, Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02