DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New FAA aeronautical knowledge and safety test

davshev

Reactions
Does anyone know more about the new FAA aeronautical knowledge and safety test? Has it taken effect yet...where to take it online?

Reactions: BigAl07
Not available yet. Some people have been getting email update from the FAA, but not me. They have my email, but I’ve not been notified at all.

Reactions: davshev
Has it taken effect yet...where to take it online?
The FAA will issue a notification when the test is available. Their current plan is to have it ready by this summer.

Reactions: dawgpilot
There are no specific details yet, but there is a brief mention of it here.

Reactions: MavicMikeK
it would be better if they had you watch a short video and/or tutorial rather than have you take a test which is likely to be a colossal waste of time and money doing more harm than good.

Watching a video without being asked (Tested) any questions about it proves nothing other than a video was played by your computer. You could hit PLAY and go to the store, come back and say, "I'm good to go".

What harm is studying and taking a test on regulations and safety? I'm not being sarcastic I'm genuinely trying to understand your logic.

Not available yet. Some people have been getting email update from the FAA, but not me. They have my email, but I’ve not been notified at all.
Are you getting the FAA webinar or other ruling notices? If you are not a email newbie please excuse this, but are FAA notices in your spam or trash folder? Also, is there a typo in the email you provided on your account?

Check your FAA account email status here: Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

Reactions: Thomas B
:D
it would be better if they had you watch a short video and/or tutorial rather than have you take a test which is likely to be a colossal waste of time and money doing more harm than good.

Watch a video to learn something without being held accountable for paying attention to it? You don’t teach, do you?

Watching a video without being asked (Tested) any questions about it proves nothing other than a video was played by your computer. You could hit PLAY and go to the store and come and say, "I'm good to go".

What harm is studying and taking a test on regulations and safety? I'm not being sarcastic I'm genuinely trying to understand your logic.

as long as the video is entertaining and comes across as intuitive, it will be watched because it is short and it is to the point. no pressure. video could be posted on yt, repeated and commented on by yt crew, supported by oems like dji....the video can be improved and updated to keep it current and provide on the spot info. eventually it could be known as the go-to video for drone flyers. the video won't come across as a government video and will be embraced by the recreational community instead of mocked and avoided.

it's 7 minutes of the most important details you need to know. people won't avoid it, they will seek it out. it [voluntarily] plays on dji go at start up and it's positive in tone which means you accomplish your goal which is to get the message out. if you like questions, ask the question in the video, give the viewer time to answer it (to themselves) and then answer is later in the video so he'll learn which is the goal, learning, not trying to flunk someone.

i just think it go farther in terms of safety than a test. and it doesn't necessarily have to be a video, there are other forms of communication that is effective. when it comes off as partner with the flyer, i think it is more likely to be embraced (and watched) rather than avoid. remember, the video can be watched anytime during the flyer's tenure and it can we watched periodically.

not saying this can't be done in addition to the test but i personally don't like the test for at least a dozen reasons (not sure you want to see that post, it's not pretty; if you really want to see it, i'll post it this weekend but it's not a good look at all).

:D

Watch a video to learn something without being held accountable for paying attention to it? You don’t teach, do you?

and the online test is going to hold the flyer accountable?

the recreational pilot is not here to go to class and be taught, we're not students in a government classroom. we learn on yt.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: AMann
and the test is holding the flyer accountable?

the recreational pilot is not here to go to class and be taught, we're not students in a government classroom. we learn on yt.
Moot point. The law is made and the test is coming. Best to get ready, and lot’s of study material online for free.

@kensteele Seriously, only those who are interested in learning about the NAS will look for and attentively watch an instructional video about it on YT, and there will be many who don’t care about it and will fly their own way. The FAA’s role is to lessen the risks in the NAS, and has had a good track record of doing it by certifying pilots and providing training. Yea, government training.

@kensteele Seriously, only those who are interested in learning about the NAS will look for and attentively watch an instructional video about it on YT, and there will be many who don’t care about it and will fly their own way. The FAA’s role is to lessen the risks in the NAS, and has had a good track record of doing it by certifying pilots and providing training. Yea, government training.

i thought the idea of the test was to reach hobbyist? this test will fail the hobby flyer community.
Moot point. The law is made and the test is coming. Best to get ready, and lot’s of study material online for free.
i'm ready. but not going to just roll over like most folks. perhaps i'm in the wrong place seeking assistance from those who are willing to fight the good fight? fine, i don't mind my hobby being a joke and the target of wanton laws, infested by a lot of inexperience, careless flyers partially due to an inept government. nothing new.

wait until every major city has a felony law that says you can't fly within 1000 feet of "critical infrastructure" and everything from a bank to the gas station to a wifi router pole is critical infrastructure. LOL

Reactions: Drgnfli
i thought the idea of the test was to reach hobbyist? this test will fail the hobby flyer community.
The purpose of the test is to assess and document that the hobbyist drone operator has a certain defined knowledge of the law. The test may be impetus to learn for many who haven’t so far.

Probably hasn’t heard about the poor bystander boy that lost an eye courtesy of a drone.
Nothing wrong with a little safety spread among the ones populating the air space. Yes there are air incidents, but it has been limited thanks to several organizations, which includes the FAA. I’m not a fan of big government, but I’m also not a fan of creating risk to the general public.

Reactions: BigAl07
To get a fire permit for national forest lands you can take a online test. They give you the rules to read, then take the test. Fairly basic and if you pass you can print the permit so an online FAA test is very possible. As an AMA member I learned the basic rules, but before I joined I didn't have a clue where I could fly. Actually I was surprised I didn't have to take some kind of basic test before buying my MP. These aren't really toys, actually they're model aircraft capable of flying further distances than what the AMA had recommended in the past. No problem with taking this new test but I hope the permit is free and lasts a lifetime.

But I'm curious to what will need to be known to pass the test. What should they ask on a test? This is probably will encompass all RC aircraft types and not just quads. Will you need to be able to read an sectional map?

Just ask and you shall receive...

Recreational Flyers! Please join Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) experts on Thursday, June 27 at 4:00 P.M. ET for a free LIVE webinar on “Recreational Flyers: Fly Safe. Have Fun.”
We will break down the new law that describes how, when, and where you can fly drones for recreational purposes, as well as how the FAA is incrementally rolling out changes.
We’ll also update you on the Low Altitude and Authorization Notification Capability (LAANC), which provides automated airspace authorizations to fly in controlled airspace. You won’t want to miss this!
Register Here!
Webinar Format:
  • Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
  • Webinar sessions are hosted in audio and visual format via GoToWebinar.
  • 24 hours before the webinar, you will receive a unique URL that you will use to access the webinar. Please note: your confirmation email will come from “EON Team ([email protected]).”
  • You must download the GoToWebinar software on your computer, smartphone/tablet app, or use the link provided in your registration email.
  • On the day of the webinar you can access the session via the join link in your confirmation email, or using your 9-digit Webinar ID.
  • You are encouraged to read the GoToWebinar How-To Guide ahead of the webinar.
  • Questions and answers received during all of our webinars are available online here.
Recordings of past drone webinars in the series are available on the FAA’s YouTube Channel:
Questions about the webinar? Please email [email protected].

Link Too FAA: Drone Webinar Series

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
To get a fire permit for national forest lands you can take a online test. They give you the rules to read, then take the test. Fairly basic and if you pass you can print the permit so an online FAA test is very possible. As an AMA member I learned the basic rules, but before I joined I didn't have a clue where I could fly. Actually I was surprised I didn't have to take some kind of basic test before buying my MP. These aren't really toys, actually they're model aircraft capable of flying further distances than what the AMA had recommended in the past. No problem with taking this new test but I hope the permit is free and lasts a lifetime.

But I'm curious to what will need to be known to pass the test. What should they ask on a test? This is probably will encompass all RC aircraft types and not just quads. Will you need to be able to read an sectional map?

I think you will have to be able to read a sectional, and if not, it is something you should be able to do anyways. It’s not only to know where to fly legally, but also if you are ever told you can’t fly there or something like that, you can back yourself up. It is easy with the right training, and there are a lot of good videos on it (Tony Northrup, etc.). His sectional chart intro starts here at 32:15

Last edited:

Most of the questions will be about the regulations, limitations (weight, speed, height etc) and about how to know what airspace you're operating in (reading and understanding a sectional).

The test etc is for all hobby RC aircraft including (but not exclusive to) MultiRotors.

The test will be good for 24 months and after which you'll need to retake it to be current again.

Reactions: AMann and Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78