DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New firmware appears to be arriving in U.S.

There's not much to trick. Doing these updates are as basic as it gets.
Would not work until I made it happen.
I could have waited to see if it would but I decided not to.

I have two quick jobs today. Normal real estate shoots. So no testing for me of the new features until this afternoon. I am hoping the digital zoom is well implemented. I can’t wait to try all the new or improved functions.

Digital zoom is of limited value on a drone as well as still cameras. It simply crops a portion of the image and creates enough new pixels to make the cropped image full frame. No new information is created, and the new image is less sharp, as it is made up of fewer real pixels than an image created by an optical zoom would have.

You can always do an digital zoom from any source in post with more control over the result, but it still will be less resolution.

Digital zooms are not particularly useful except in situations where quality is not as important as the close up view.

No, it means updating the FW in each battery. Sometimes the drone’s FW update goes hand in hand with a battery FW update, you need to do the all your batteries, not just the one used to update the drone.

edit: I can confirm that there is a battery FW update as well
I just tried updating another battery and it said firmware updated to the latest version. I did get a server error initially but I'm going to try again later with the other 2 batteries.

For those who do not see the "Zoom" option, make sure you are NOT in HDR mode. Apparently HDR mode does not support any zooming.

Below is the battery update message.
Screenshot_20200810-100926.jpg

Reactions: Ace.7 and dawgpilot
Just got the update in Canada. I fly a MA2 with a iPad mini, did not see the zoom function yet, too busy using the new gimbal function. Will look for the zoom function later today and check to see if the batteries need update as well. So glad I decided on the MA2 as my next drone.

Reactions: GARhythm and geneg
Holy Cow what a surprise! I had heard the improvements for obstacle avoidance was coming but I had not clue that ZOOM options were going to become available. Can't wait to go out and play with the new options! Thank you DJI!

What exactly is updating batteries? Do you mean charging batteries?
I had inquired about that with DJI. They responded that the batteries will update as you fly.

Just came inside from doing some backyard flying after the firmware update. Decided to go through a three batteries in an attempt to see if the battery update message would appear. It did not. Tried all 3 and no mention of it.
I did notice that the batteries don't seem to get as not as they did before. Only flew for about 15 minutes each. Wondering if the firmware update address the heat issue somehow.
Any thoughts......

I had inquired about that with DJI. They responded that the batteries will update as you fly.

Whoever responded to you was incorrect. You need to manually hit the update option on the initial screen in DJI Fly for each battery (besides the one that is in the aircraft for the firmware update: that one is updated at the same time as the aircraft firmware).

Whoever responded to you was incorrect. You need to manually hit the update option on the initial screen in DJI Fly for each battery (besides the one that is in the aircraft for the firmware update: that one is updated at the same time as the aircraft firmware).
I mis-spoke. The reply was actually, as Bliz just posted, update batteries when the"Update Battery" message appears.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Did the update this morning. Didn't complain when I rebooted and swapped batteries. Great new features and updates! One I didn't expect was the digital zoom. However, it appears to only work with video. Can't seem to get a zoom option in photo mode. Maybe I'm missing something?

Attachments

• 117537817_704242447093617_1893407019221522017_n.jpg
    117537817_704242447093617_1893407019221522017_n.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 14
Yes each battery need to be updated separately, so plug in one by one and do the FM upgrade. i did update all the 3 batteries of mine...

I mis-spoke. The reply was actually, as Bliz just posted, update batteries when the"Update Battery" message appears.
It can sometimes take several minutes After swop batteries and restart the drone, before it prompts you that the battery needs a FW update. Consequently, if your normal practice is switch your device to airplane mode before flying, the drone may not get a chance to complete the checks Before you cut off the internet connection.

I just connected my MA2 and started it. IT WAS READY TO FLY WITH NO UPDATE MESSAGE. I guess that means the new update does NOT apply to Android. Same thing happened with Mavic Mini, so I am not surprised.
Does anyone know when the Android version will appear?

I just connected my MA2 and started it. IT WAS READY TO FLY WITH NO UPDATE. I guess that means the new update does NOT apply to Android.

I updated my MA2 with Android. Does your phone/tablet have data? It needs that to grab the update.

Digital zoom is of limited value on a drone as well as still cameras. It simply crops a portion of the image and creates enough new pixels to make the cropped image full frame. No new information is created, and the new image is less sharp, as it is made up of fewer real pixels than an image created by an optical zoom would have.

You can always do an digital zoom from any source in post with more control over the result, but it still will be less resolution.

Digital zooms are not particularly useful except in situations where quality is not as important as the close up view.

This is true at the camera's max resolution, but not necessarily as we down-res. Remember, 4K is called that as it it 4 times the resolution of full HD (1080). So, if we use a 4k camera, we can zoom up to 4 times and still have the right information to produce a 1080 video, without making up pixels. With the Air 2's capabilities to shoot 8k, we can in theory zoom a 4k two times and again, not have to "create enough pixels". No pixel creation needed, as the information is already there.

However, that does not mean that a zoomed 1080p video will look as good as a non-zoomed 1080p, if the camera has more capabilities. If we use a 4k camera to create 1080p, we've given the camera 4 times the data to choose how to down-res to 1080p, which in theory results in a better 1080 video to begin with. However, this is no reason that a 4x zoomed 1080p video from the Air 2 would look any worse than a 1080p video from a 1080p camera.

Of course, as you noted, Optical Zoom is almost always a better solution.

I just connected my MA2 and started it. IT WAS READY TO FLY WITH NO UPDATE MESSAGE. I guess that means the new update does NOT apply to Android. Same thing happened with Mavic Mini, so I am not surprised.
Does anyone know when the Android version will appear?
The FW update is for your drone, not the device you use to connect to it. It shouldn’t make any difference whether your iOS or Android. You sure you were on the internet when you connected? Otherwise, as others on here have reported, try deleting the app & reinstalling it.

Just got the new firmware here in Keizer OR! Very cool put in my second battery and said all updated
so i hope second battery has new firm update thanks folks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoenix_00002