DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firmware . . . v01.03.0800

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I check what firmware I'm on?

Open up the app,enter device then press the 3 dots in top right hand corner.scroll down to the bottom to about.look in there it will give the current fw (Mavic turned on) and the current app.

At 500ft if I take my eye off the drone I cannot locate it again.
I have had numerous people with me from ages 14 to 50 and everyone has lost complete sight of it at around 500ft. I would imagine that if you had 20/10 vision and never took your eye off of it you might get to 1000Ft, but keeping your focus only on the Mavic and never on the RC is not practical for flying.

Rob

Just updated, total time of 55 min 30 sec. Including 3 batteries. At the end, did not received any request to log in to my account...strange?

Call me paranoid if you wish but I believe there is a hidden authority with significant power that dictates to DJI what to do.
I mean these machines are quite capable.
Can you imagine the risk to some of the government's lies with filming from above?
That's why the controls are being restricted.
You only have to see some of the bs pilot reports that are thrown on the news to smell a rat.
Put your equipment in a bubble and stay away from the Internet.
tin-foil-hat-man-with-cat.jpg

The op wasn't just about seeing it out that far it was seeing it and be able to fly it meaning Up , Down, Left, Right , flying away or flying towards you with out looking at the remote or app telemetry if you followed the posts from the beginning . This is where the disagreements started. Flying up ,down, left , right yes it can be see as you know However , flying towards you or away from you and realizing that it is doing so , is impossible at that distance and I'm sure we will agree on this.
Actually whilst difficult it is quite possible to do all those things and I have done so out to 2600' away and then flown it home visually never looking at RC or app. There is a we'll established orientation technique for it that works, so long as you can see the speck regardless of distance.

About to go test .800 Fixed Wing variable gimbal and check out the RC only valet mode.

Reactions: SkunkWerx's
Just updated, total time of 55 min 30 sec. Including 3 batteries. At the end, did not received any request to log in to my account...strange?
Most probably because you have never actually logged out of your account in the DJIGo4 app. This would be the normal scenario for an everyday user. The account verification would have occurred in the background after you completed the update.

To put it another way if you actually log out of your dji account in the DJIGo4 app, it will not actually let you fly with DJIGo4 app, because the interface is inaccessible until you log back in. At least this has been my experience.

Reactions: LongRifle
Most of the guys who have been sounding the warning bells have decided that its just not worth it to keep trying to convince people not to update. I have also gone pretty silent on the issue.

What I will say is that we have seen a progressive move from .500 to .600 with much larger NFZ lists. In .700 we saw a need to login and identify your IP in order to get the update. In .800 you now need to Login and run the app in order to use the Mavic.

A lot of this stuff ties back exactly to what the Chinese Beta testers were saying 9 weeks ago. The only difference is that they seem to be at phase 3 which means they need a constant internet connection in order to fly.

I am sitting on .400 and have my Mavic lands with 2 inches of the takeoff point from a 3000ft RTH. It hovers perfectly, I have no camera tilting issues and my gimble gives me no problems and my range is superb. The best part of all is that I dont get NFZ messages, so I can drive out with my Mavic and not have a fear that when I park my car and get out the Mavic that it will be limited in some way.

Over the years I have Beta tested dozens of products and participated in their Beta user forums. I have seen the posts calling the Beta team to Arms when a PR. problem arises. So all I am going to say is that when the dust settles and you find that internet access is required at all times and that local restrictions are implemented along with tracking of your drone, I will bet that certain forum members are going to be gone.

Rob

.... In .800 you now need to Login and run the app in order to use the Mavic.
Well that's incorrect for a start. I did the update in DJIGo4, checked my settings in the app. Then I logged out of my DJI account from in DJIGo4. Shut everything down. Then an hour or so later having driven to a nearby park, started it all up and went flying with Litchi. I did not have to run the app to use the Mavic. DJIGo4 remained shutdown and I was logged out of my DJI acc.
Given that you acknowledge you are still back on .400 you really should not be telling those of us on .800 how .800 functions when you have never used it.

Well that's incorrect for a start. I did the update in DJIGo4, checked my settings in the app. Then I logged out of my DJI account from in DJIGo4. Shut everything down. Then an hour or so later having driven to a nearby park, started it all up and went flying with Litchi. I did not have to run the app to use the Mavic. DJIGo4 remained shutdown and I was logged out of my DJI acc.
Given that you acknowledge you are still back on .400 you really should not be telling those of us on .800 how .800 functions when you have never used it.

Your App is logged in. Your mistaking logging into an internet account versus logged into the internal Mavic network. The goggles, the RC and the Mavic all have separate IP's and you need to be logged into them with an App running the correct API if they are to function properly. That was not something that was needed before!

As for not using .800 don't worry. I have enough people giving me feedback to know whats going on better than the person who is just casually using it.

BTW are you following the whoa's of the Chinese beta testers? They seem to be several versions ahead of us and so far everything they are saying is happening in the exact same order to us.

Rob

Last edited:
Reactions: wayy510
Most probably because you have never actually logged out of your account in the DJIGo4 app. This would be the normal scenario for an everyday user. The account verification would have occurred in the background after you completed the update.

To put it another way if you actually log out of your dji account in the DJIGo4 app, it will not actually let you fly with DJIGo4 app, because the interface is inaccessible until you log back in. At least this has been my experience.

Thank you for the precise explanation[emoji106][emoji573]

Most of the guys who have been sounding the warning bells have decided that its just not worth it to keep trying to convince people not to update. I have also gone pretty silent on the issue.

What I will say is that we have seen a progressive move from .500 to .600 with much larger NFZ lists. In .700 we saw a need to login and identify your IP in order to get the update. In .800 you now need to Login and run the app in order to use the Mavic.

A lot of this stuff ties back exactly to what the Chinese Beta testers were saying 9 weeks ago. The only difference is that they seem to be at phase 3 which means they need a constant internet connection in order to fly.

I am sitting on .400 and have my Mavic lands with 2 inches of the takeoff point from a 3000ft RTH. It hovers perfectly, I have no camera tilting issues and my gimble gives me no problems and my range is superb. The best part of all is that I dont get NFZ messages, so I can drive out with my Mavic and not have a fear that when I park my car and get out the Mavic that it will be limited in some way.

Over the years I have Beta tested dozens of products and participated in their Beta user forums. I have seen the posts calling the Beta team to Arms when a PR. problem arises. So all I am going to say is that when the dust settles and you find that internet access is required at all times and that local restrictions are implemented along with tracking of your drone, I will bet that certain forum members are going to be gone.

Rob

Hello Rob,

I would like to go back to version .400 is there an simple way to convert to version .400
In the forum there is an description of .400 but it is not simple and also difficult to understand.
I am on the lookout for a more understandable version that is not so complicated.

Best regards, Hans

Rob

I am a fairly new mavic owner for a couple months now. Can you only downgrade to firmware version you had previously installed? Everybody talks about this .400 version but I only get the option to downgrade to 550 and 600.

Hello Rob,

I would like to go back to version .400 is there an simple way to convert to version .400
In the forum there is an description of .400 but it is not simple and also difficult to understand.
I am on the lookout for a more understandable version that is not so complicated.

Best regards, Hans

Wish I could help Hans but the VMWare method is the only one that will work. It's really not all that difficult. If you have a windows machine and start reading up on saturday morning I am pretty sure that within 2 hours you will be able to revert back.

Rob

I am a fairly new mavic owner for a couple months now. Can you only downgrade to firmware version you had previously installed? Everybody talks about this .400 version but I only get the option to downgrade to 550 and 600.

You used to be able to download FW .400 fro the dji assistant 2 via laptop/computer.Dji have now removed .400 and it is no longer available.There is away to do it.Read Robbyg's post above.

Wish I could help Hans but the VMWare method is the only one that will work. It's really not all that difficult. If you have a windows machine and start reading up on saturday morning I am pretty sure that within 2 hours you will be able to revert back.

Rob

Thanks for the quick respons, I ask a friend of mine for help.

Let me expand on that a bit.

There has never been a reasonable expectation that you could own and use a Mavic without access to a smart device.

It was required to activate the aircraft before the first flight and it was required to lift the 'beginner' limits and to configure the many options on the aircraft.

Prior to the current firmware you could choose to fly with just the remote.

With the current firmware you can still fly with just the remote, but only after connecting a smart device upon power-up and then removing the smart device.

If you do not wish to accept this restriction then do not update the firmware.

This is not like the Sony case where there was a claim that failure to update the firmware could restrict use with future games.

In this case you can retain full and unfettered use of exactly what you have now by not updating.

The fact that new features may be offered which require you to update, does not stop you using the aircraft in the way it was originally offered and sold.

This is not the same as Sony and would be a lot harder to show that the owners have in any way not received what they paid for.

Wrong. The goggles equate to future games. If I don't update I get a big red warning status, for nothing which would effect the aircraft's functionality. This same warning is used for very critical flight impacting warnings. By accepting that this red warning is normal for every flight, it is quite likely people using old firmware will miss legitimate critical warnings due to this.

Companies have gotten in a lot of trouble for less than this. I don't understand why these fanboys will do anything they can to defend DJI. You really want a Chinese company tracking and recording all of your Mavic activity? I like DJI, if I didn't why would I have purchased a $1300 product from them? But I most certainly am going to hold their feet to the fire if they decide to change the $1300 product after I purchased it. And why would you discourage that? All that can result in people complaining is DJI getting their act together and making your product better! No lets give DJI free reign to do whatever they want, lets not complain at all and support their idiotic restrictions and tracking so they feel they can continue to make unfettered and unwanted changes with every new firmware. This is just the tipping point, if we allow them to continue it will get much worse and more restricted...

Rob
Excellent post Rob. Many are updating without problems, but everyone has to admit that some who update, can now not fly in the area they used to before updating. I feel for those that this has happened to. They now have to go through extra steps to enjoy the product they did before. If you are going to update, just do so with your eyes open and read as much as you can about the update before doing so. DJI is not helping themselves with loads of information on the updates to completely inform the customers. It was not that long ago that users here were touting the fact that you can still fly without a smart phone. That all changes with the update. Just be informed before you take the plunge, and just don't read all the ..."I updated and fly just fine" posts...read the problem ones too. That's what I have done, and decided to downgrade to .400 once this nonsense started. Was my decision better than yours, if you decided to update? I can't say. If there is a class action suit, I will follow it closely, and if there is an option for a full refund from DJI, I may just go that route too. Or...maybe keep this on .400 and sell it at a premium to someone who needs the earlier firmware to fly in their area. We all have choices.

I know this question is all over the place. But all over the place I see various different responses. So i'm hoping someone can clarify.. I am currently on latest DJI Go 4 app b/c it auto updated. However, I primarily use Auto Pilot. I am on .700 FW. And I always have GEO turned off.

I'm trying to decide if I should update. Attached are a couple photos when I turn on my MAVIC.

First I get prompted to updated NFZ database and I ignore (assuming it's more restrictive) is that true?

Then I get prompted to update firmware. If I click ignore, will I be safe from the new restrictions put on flights from .800? or any other limitations.

For some reason I'm getting a new screen when i turn on my Mavic in my apartment. NFZ limit. This is because I am near a major airport. however, this never appeared before and I never updated the FW or NFZ database. So I'm curious as to how that is occurring. The warning says if I get near the NFZ it will execute RTH automatically. I'm not interested in flying in the red NFZ, but I'm just curious how these additional restrictions were enabled when I didn't update FW or NFZ database.

I have an important flight tomorrow. On the Airspace app it shows hello (caution circle) because of about 15 nearby small heli-ports. Although I will be in a park and not high. In the DJI GEO advanced planning app i was going to use to unlock, it doesn't show any warning circles at all.

I want to be sure none of these new update stuff is going to interfere in my flight tomorrow. and will it interfere with me flying in my own apartment neighborhood because of my close distance to major airport. And will any of this affect Auto Pilot

Thanks

View media item 825View media item 823View media item 824

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore