DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Firmware . . . v01.03.0800

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must know very little of Andriod and iOS firmware and or devices. Eventually, you will be forced to update the app as it will no longer work with new device control device firmwares.

Are we to keep an old phone with an aging OS for the life of the Mavic?

What if you phone is lost and you get another? Does DJI give me to older version of the app to use? What if I send in my drone to DJI? Is it not their policy to update to latest firmware?
LOL! Ok man. Continue to leave in your own little fear mongernig world. I honestly do not care.

It's not a forced update. Period.

Reactions: Nikon1 and grizzard
Nonsense .... If your drone is working fine why would you want to update and screw up your settings and possibly lose features?
To be able to use some that were advertised on day 1 but haven't been added until now.

I wouldn't complain about an intelligent flight mode or some minor stuff that would give extra functionality that was not part nor an advertised feature at launch e.g. the modes from the Spark being backported, but in the case of the goggles they were announced at the same time as the Mavic, DJI made a huge deal about the combination of both products, and it has played a significant role in the decision of many of us early customers of the Mavic to go on with the purchase.
Nowhere does it say that to use them properly you have to cripple your Mavic as a result of the required firmware version including unrelated changes. If DJI didn't take 8+ months to release the goggles they would probably work properly in .400, but since they took ages to be able to provide them implementation of the goggles' features in the Mavic fimware that ended up being delayed to later versions.

Not even talking of anyone who will receive their Mavic with .800 or later even though none of the marketing materials will have been updated. Nor the fact that while possible staying on current versions needs specific knowledge and care that is not to be reasonably expected from most users.

You clearly didn't comprehend my post. So what if what you stated is true. My point was... so what? What impact does this have on you exactly?
This is not about an impact on me , it is the impact that it will have on other that don't know about it and try to downgrade or upgrade between the GO app versions
For someone who thinks "So What" did you really need to make your tinfoil hat post ?????

This is not about an impact on me , it is the impact that it will have on other that don't know about it and try to downgrade or upgrade between the GO app versions
For someone who thinks "So What" did you really need to make your tinfoil hat post ?????
LOL!

I don't understand how so many fail to understand what is so clear and simple. I'm really wondering if people generally are just dumb and granite.

I've read a few posts across two threads, and that was all I needed to get the complete, accurate picture, which I will summarize here:
  • .800 implements the flight restrictions that have consumed this forum for the last few weeks.
  • With .800, all users must use at least GO4 version 4.1.0 or later (4.0.8 might be okay, but I'd ignore it)
  • After updating to .800, users outside the US must be connected to the internet with their smart device, and log in to their DJI account through the GO4 app after connecting to the aircraft in order to lift the 30m/50m alt/dist restrictions. This is necessary only once outside the US; for China users, login will be required every 3 months.
  • Each time the aircraft is powered on, it must connect to the GO4 app to disable the flight restrictions. However, an internet connection, and login to DJI account is not required so long as the user did not log out in the app.
  • To use third-party apps, the aircraft must first be connected to GO4 to disable flight restrictions. Then GO4 can be exited, and the third part app can be connected and used, provided the aircraft is not power cycled.
  • NFZ behavior is also updated/changed; at least one users has reported that some of the NFZ problems seem to have been fixed/improved
That's basically it. Wasn't hard to distill from the postings. Not sure why people have so much trouble "getting it". Perhaps they aren't bothering to read anything in these threads before they spout off?

Me? I'm staying right where I am on .400 for the foreseeable future.

You criticize people that are having genuine problems with updating as "dumb and granite", yet by your own admission you're clinging to .400 because you're afraid to run into problems you just admonished them for. Seriously?

Then you collected tidbits from the interwebs and pat yourself on the back for being smarter than the average bear by being able to "distill" said info, yet you can't be certain as to their accuracy because you haven't done any of it because you're still clinging to .400 like it's the last Big Mac in the universe. You sir, have zero credibility.

I just updated to .800 and just like when I updated to .700 my Mavic still flies flawlessly like it has since day one. Just update already. Jump in with both feet. The water's fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimesTen
Well if you can see it at that distance you better not take your eyes off of it -- For if you do You will not see it
At that distance you know your looking at something smaller then a nat that's right in front of your face
I usually don't get into these kinds of pissing matches but I have flown my Mavic VLOS out to about 2200 feet and I can still see it just fine. Now I am not talking about altitude I am talking about distance from me. Standing in my back yard I fly out across a field to the nearest highway which is actually 1900 feet from the house then I go across that road and into the second field before I turn around and come back. I can see the Mavic all the way out and make the turn back to the house and see the orientation the whole time. Now two things about it. One if I don't keep a visual on it the whole way out then I do have a lot of trouble picking it back up again visually. Two, if I am below tree level when I take my eyes off it I can't pick it back up until I am about 600 feet away. If I pull up though to where I am above tree line I can see it again even out at 2200 feet.

To be able to use some that were advertised on day 1 but haven't been added until now.

I wouldn't complain about an intelligent flight mode or some minor stuff that would give extra functionality that was not part nor an advertised feature at launch e.g. the modes from the Spark being backported, but in the case of the goggles they were announced at the same time as the Mavic, DJI made a huge deal about the combination of both products, and it has played a significant role in the decision of many of us early customers of the Mavic to go on with the purchase.
Nowhere does it say that to use them properly you have to cripple your Mavic as a result of the required firmware version including unrelated changes. If DJI didn't take 8+ months to release the goggles they would probably work properly in .400, but since they took ages to be able to provide them implementation of the goggles' features in the Mavic fimware that ended up being delayed to later versions.

Not even talking of anyone who will receive their Mavic with .800 or later even though none of the marketing materials will have been updated. Nor the fact that while possible staying on current versions needs specific knowledge and care that is not to be reasonably expected from most users.
Nor the fact that while possible staying on current versions needs specific knowledge and care that is not to be reasonably expected from most users.
What is not to be reasonably specific knowledge and care is needed when dedicating a device and not updating ??? Besides just enjoy flying the Mavic ???
Why are you encouraging people to update ???
Your above statement I find interesting , I'd like to hear your answer to "reasonably specific knowledge and care is needed"

guys! guys! all these arguments could be posted on another thread. This one is about firmware .0800!
Previously we have all been watching the topic of "what is the greatest distance somebody can spot the Mavic with naked eye" and now again of topic for another reason on whether DJI's update is ethical or not.

Please! Try to give us feedback on the actual firmware .0800

guys! guys! all these arguments could be posted on another thread. This one is about firmware .0800!
Previously we have all been watching the topic of "what is the greatest distance somebody can spot the Mavic with naked eye" and now again of topic for another reason on whether DJI's update is ethical or not.

Please! Try to give us feedback on the actual firmware .0800
Sorry you are right , my apology's

If I may, no need for apologies. Everybody here has a good cause, and faithfully give their opinion. Sometime we agree, sometime not.
Let's commonly investigate the specifics of 0.800 in this thread, and continue other discussions on their own thread.

Personally, I would like to see the expert's opinion on the color improvements of the new firmware. My own initial tests make me believe that there is an improvement, I am just not an expert.

Thanks,

If I may, no need for apologies. Everybody here has a good cause, and faithfully give their opinion. Sometime we agree, sometime not.
Let's commonly investigate the specifics of 0.800 in this thread, and continue other discussions on their own thread.

Personally, I would like to see the expert's opinion on the color improvements of the new firmware. My own initial tests make me believe that there is an improvement, I am just not an expert.

Thanks,

There no improvements. Just new color profiles from what I gather. Stick with D-Log

I updated to .800 last night. I'm in the US.
It took about 20 minutes.
I was already logged into the app. I took off, flew around for 15 minutes without issue, landed.
I put my tablet into airplane mode then I shut everything off.
I restarted everything and then flew around for another few minutes, no issues.
I have been getting NFZ warnings before I get 9 sats. This started at .600
I did NOT see that behavior after the update, however I did not extensively test this and it seemed to locate the gps sats very fast, so perhaps I just missed it.

Based on everything I have read here about the latest update, I plan on having my wifi turned off on my iPad mini and Samsung S7 for any future flights with the MP.
I must say though that I am so very happy I decided to keep my very old NAZA controlled DJI F450 Flamehweel AND my Yuneec Q500+ 4K
None of this BS nanny crap that DJI is forcing on us.
Hopefully someone out there is mounting a class action against DJI for these AFTER PURCHASE modifications to our MP's.
If they want to do this to future purchases, I guess there's not much to gripe about there, but we should be grandfathered.

Because it's impossible.

If you asserted that you flapped your arms really hard, ascended to 150 feet, and then flew around for a while I wouldn't believe that either. Because it's impossible.

Or if you claimed you heard a conversation from 2 miles away, unaided. Again, I'd simple say you were either (grossly) mistaken, or knowingly lying. Because it's impossible.

So, we can't just "agree to disagree"; you're promulgating a complete, utter falsehood. If you can truly see a Mavic at 1600 feet -- really, truly, and I'm being serious as a heart attack here -- contact the Stanford Eye Institute and introduce yourself to them. I guarantee you there are Opthamologists there who would drop whatever research they are doing to study you, and I'm certain you could make a reasonable bit of bank in the process.

- OR -

Just drop it and stop lying.

I wanted to jump all over this guy yesterday when I saw his post....seeing a Mavic at over 1600', either he just got over his head by exaggerating and then wanted to stand by his story or he was just a liar. I laid off because he was taking plenty of heat from others already. Even know I had some zingers ready to let fly I stayed off because it was off topic of the original post. Even so I now feel off topic or not a post is warranted. So today I took my Mavic over to the top of the Incline Plane which over looks the city, I put my Mavic up and framed it on nice blue patch of sky and sent her out never taking my eye off of the Mavic. I was pretty far out, about as far as I ever tried to spot the Mavic by naked eye, but I didn't want to take my eye off and see how far out I was in fear of losing it. So I put the drone right on the edge of cloud where I knew I would be able to reacquire it. I looked down and I was out 1153'. WOW, pretty good, I thought maybe 1600' is possible because although it was only a very small spot I could still see it and see it moving up and down. Ok I reacquired the tiny dot and continued to push it further, and further, and still further. Then I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me because and I wasn't really seeing the speck (and I mean speck) I thought was the drone. I stopped and moved it up, yep the speck moved that is it and that is the limit,10 more feet and there is no way I would see it. Ok now was the time of truth, time to take my eye off and look down and see how far out I was. There would be no reacquiring the drone this time. Once I took my eye off that tiny speck it would be lost. I looked down and to my astonishment I was 1889' from my current position. 1889 the just happened to be the year of the first of 3 historic Johnstown Floods. In fact the very platform I was standing on was at the top of the Incline plane that was built because of the 1889 flood. Enough of the history lesson, Johnstown would have been better off washing away. So there you have it, tested and proven. Was there any chance of flying the Mavic LOS at that distance?......NO. Could I still see the slightest speck moving up and down?....Yep. So go ahead and let me have it guys. I'm a big boy I can take the bashing. 1889' and I'll close with this, I had my glasses on, but to be honest my vision still sucks. I wouldn't at all be surprised if someone reported over 2000' What was the name of that eye science center someone mentioned that would want to study anyone who could see a Mavic at over 1600'? Do they pay?

On another note, I updated my firmware today before going out, it also made me update the NFZ. Took it out an flew without any issues. If fact I used to get a warning when flying downtown which I didn't get today.

Loaded it today :)

Went for a spin in my usual test area. It worked fine with DJI Go 4 and then with a dedicated waypoint mission created on Litchi.

My combo seems now to be free from video drops out and hiccups (...up to frozen screens with single color full bands on the image...) I was experiencing in some of my last sorties but I can't tell if it is from the new FW as I've also swapped iPads (...since mine is a quite hot country, I was suspecting the first iPad Mini 2 was overheating, since the video on the SD card wasn't being affected by what I was seeing on the tab screen...).

It was a sweet short Litchi waypoints run, actually, with the gimbal being fully worked out in a overfly stunt. ;)

I will be spending next week in a spot that just begs to be filmed by a drone. Let's see how that goes.

Meanwhile check out how today's run went (...and take notice of the seagulls trying to "intimidate" my Mavic, as usual... :D...)

MK

Last edited:
Reactions: rigor and LongRifle
I wanted to jump all over this guy yesterday when I saw his post....seeing a Mavic at over 1600', either he just got over his head by exaggerating and then wanted to stand by his story or he was just a liar. I laid off because he was taking plenty of heat from others already. Even know I had some zingers ready to let fly I stayed off because it was off topic of the original post. Even so I now feel off topic or not a post is warranted. So today I took my Mavic over to the top of the Incline Plane which over looks the city, I put my Mavic up and framed it on nice blue patch of sky and sent her out never taking my eye off of the Mavic. I was pretty far out, about as far as I ever tried to spot the Mavic by naked eye, but I didn't want to take my eye off and see how far out I was in fear of losing it. So I put the drone right on the edge of cloud where I knew I would be able to reacquire it. I looked down and I was out 1153'. WOW, pretty good, I thought maybe 1600' is possible because although it was only a very small spot I could still see it and see it moving up and down. Ok I reacquired the tiny dot and continued to push it further, and further, and still further. Then I thought maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me because and I wasn't really seeing the speck (and I mean speck) I thought was the drone. I stopped and moved it up, yep the speck moved that is it and that is the limit,10 more feet and there is no way I would see it. Ok now was the time of truth, time to take my eye off and look down and see how far out I was. There would be no reacquiring the drone this time. Once I took my eye off that tiny speck it would be lost. I looked down and to my astonishment I was 1889' from my current position. 1889 the just happened to be the year of the first of 3 historic Johnstown Floods. In fact the very platform I was standing on was at the top of the Incline plane that was built because of the 1889 flood. Enough of the history lesson, Johnstown would have been better off washing away. So there you have it, tested and proven. Was there any chance of flying the Mavic LOS at that distance?......NO. Could I still see the slightest speck moving up and down?....Yep. So go ahead and let me have it guys. I'm a big boy I can take the bashing. 1889' and I'll close with this, I had my glasses on, but to be honest my vision still sucks. I wouldn't at all be surprised if someone reported over 2000' What was the name of that eye science center someone mentioned that would want to study anyone who could see a Mavic at over 1600'? Do they pay?
The op wasn't just about seeing it out that far it was seeing it and be able to fly it meaning Up , Down, Left, Right , flying away or flying towards you with out looking at the remote or app telemetry if you followed the posts from the beginning . This is where the disagreements started. Flying up ,down, left , right yes it can be see as you know However , flying towards you or away from you and realizing that it is doing so , is impossible at that distance and I'm sure we will agree on this. This is what dwallersv's original disagreement was --- The op changed his story to he did have to look down at the app screen --- If you go back and look, the op even posted to me and stated that I didn't understand his post and he stated he was not using the camera FPV on the app at all to fly at that distance. The op's story was contradictive and dewallersv called him on it .
There's no reason to jump all over you if you don't BS lollolllll

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf