DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New From S. Florida

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I flew my MA2 yesterday. What an amazing bird! This aircraft feels solid in your hands extended or retracted. The quality thus far is amazing. Speaking of quality, I went with the RLSoco carry case from the Amazon. Perfect fit for the MA2-FMK and plenty of room for other items. I have a 9.6" Galaxy Tab E in there. Need a way to mount it but, goggles, I feel that is where money is best spent.

As stated I am within a mile of FLL but I requested approval via LAANC through DJI Fly so that I could fly in my neighborhood and it was approved. I'm still very leary with flying. I ascended to 100' (200' NFZ) to take a look around. My my! The airport, Port Everglades, the ocean views. Amazing!

The ADS-B AirSense works very well as I received plenty of warnings. One of those warnings (in red) indicated a plane VERY close to me, I heard it fly overhead. Really sweet tech to have.

The wonders of flight will continue, hopefully Saturday.

Welcome from Fort Pierce! FL coastal areas are a bit difficult due to the number of airports. Your area is available other than the obvious runway approaches, although there are altitude restrictions. Happy flying!

Welcome aboard from upstate NY.
I was going to suggest LAANC request until I saw your last message.
I have used it several times when I fly in Syracuse and it always texts me a code within 10 or 15 seconds.
Looking forward to pics from down that way.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome from Lake Worth. Interested in drone group in S Florida. New to drones. Mini 2
Yes, I I pass Lake Worth a lot now. Whenever I ride the motorcycle straight up A1A to WPB turn around and go home. Great ride. LW used to be in my service area back in the 80's and 90's. Our hub was in Pompano.

Greetings from Dania Beach, Broward County, Florida. I am Zeprider but most people call me Zep.

This is not my first foray into the world of drones. Previously (2015) I owned a Phantom 3 Pro with everything that could possibly go with it, all in a giant Lowepro backpack. This was a huge kit! I ended up selling it within a year after a small demonstration turned into a crashed drone and broken camera. I bought the parts, repaired it, and she was like new again.

I found the Phantom to be this long legged, top heavy, unwieldy thing, with a very delicate dangling camera system just waiting for a junk punch, and, well, no obstacle avoidance. Couple that with knowing that the industry was in its early infancy, equipment that is prone to disconnects, fly-aways, and absent of any real insurance offerings. Yeah buddy, I sold the kit to a very lucky and satisfied customer.

I have been watching the industry grow since then and I cannot believe how quickly it has evolved. As well as the advancements in drone technology, which is equally impressive and the reason I just bought a Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo & DJI Care Refresh eh…, MA2-FMC+DJICRF?

I ordered direct from DJI which I see some dislike doing but I did not mind the wait plus other options lead to sales tax on $1k+, no thank you. When possible I like to buy direct which in most cases leaves no doubt about warranty or who is responsible for what. With Refresh I guess it doesn’t really matter.

I grew up and have lived in Broward County for many years on and off and finding a place to fly can be difficult. In fact, it is still an ongoing process…

Going out West there is a plenty of Class G

US-27 north of I-75 is uncontrolled but laced with power lines on both sides. South of 75 there are no powerlines on the east side of 27. No shade either which is a shame because these are wide open spaces.

My sister lives in Weston and that is uncontrolled as well but it is a neighborhood and all that that implies. Not to mention it was the scene of my original demonstration crash with the P3Pro. Go back? Not really.

There is Markham Park but not the Airfield unless you are a card-carrying member of the AMA and dues paying member of the Park otherwise you will encounter hostilities. I would stay clear of there. However, the other side of the park offers some opportunity because it is directly adjacent to the Everglades.

Note for Tourists: If you lose a drone in the Everglades consider it lost unless you have a boat. DO NOT enter on foot or you will be eaten.

On the coast, things are a bit different and there are more circles around here than hoola-hoops.

My community is 1mi from FLLs 28L and 1mi from the coast but I am also within a 200’ NFZ. I may try to request authorization and see what kind of response I get.

I can go south towards Hallandale Beach Boulevard which is just outside the zone but I am still scouting the area.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and making contributions.
You are right about losing drones in florida. I live in naples fl. I fly around my home a lot, but it's surrounded by swamps and forested areas. When flying, I pass over lots of swamps, high brush and tree areas, lakes, canals etc. It's almost impossible to get back in those places to find a drone.. So, I try to stay close to walking paths or roads when i'm flying. I've lost two drones out in the brush and swamps, but they were the cheap kind of drones. Low cost, but It was still upsetting to lose a couple hundred bucks each time.

I fly in controlled airspace often. My community is in Class D. The LAANC system works well in most areas. In some I need to give them a day's notice. I haven't tried in a complete no-fly zone, but I have some areas I need to video that I might get 100ft clearance for. Florida offers almost unlimited opportunities for great drove video IMHO.

I fly in controlled airspace often. My community is in Class D. The LAANC system works well in most areas. In some I need to give them a day's notice. I haven't tried in a complete no-fly zone, but I have some areas I need to video that I might get 100ft clearance for. Florida offers almost unlimited opportunities for great drove video IMHO.
I sometimes fly in downtown naples FL. The naples airport controlled airspace requires me to stay around 100 or 200 ft mostly, while I fly near the Naples Pier. You can get pretty close to the airport, just have to stay low, up to the 0 alt limit zones. Marathon Key florida is almost half airport, but you can still find spots to fly. You have to stay at a lower altitude though. I was surprised I got LAANC permission there.

Greetings welcome to the forum!

Welcome. Good to see someone from around here on the forum.

Note for Tourists: If you lose a drone in the Everglades consider it lost unless you have a boat. DO NOT enter on foot or you will be eaten.

Even if you have a boat and have grown up in Broward County fearlessly tromping through the swamp, ready to eat anything that gets in your way, you probably won't find it... ;)

I'm in a lucky uncontrolled sliver of Davie just east of Weston and can fly to Markham Park and Vista View Park from my roof. It is generally boring so I don't do it very often.

Welcome. Good to see someone from around here on the forum.

Even if you have a boat and have grown up in Broward County fearlessly tromping through the swamp, ready to eat anything that gets in your way, you probably won't find it... ;)

I'm in a lucky uncontrolled sliver of Davie just east of Weston and can fly to Markham Park and Vista View Park from my roof. It is generally boring so I don't do it very often.

Grew up in Davie. Family in Weston. Need to get out and do some flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll