DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New From S. Florida

Zeprider

Reactions
Greetings from Dania Beach, Broward County, Florida. I am Zeprider but most people call me Zep.

This is not my first foray into the world of drones. Previously (2015) I owned a Phantom 3 Pro with everything that could possibly go with it, all in a giant Lowepro backpack. This was a huge kit! I ended up selling it within a year after a small demonstration turned into a crashed drone and broken camera. I bought the parts, repaired it, and she was like new again.

I found the Phantom to be this long legged, top heavy, unwieldy thing, with a very delicate dangling camera system just waiting for a junk punch, and, well, no obstacle avoidance. Couple that with knowing that the industry was in its early infancy, equipment that is prone to disconnects, fly-aways, and absent of any real insurance offerings. Yeah buddy, I sold the kit to a very lucky and satisfied customer.

I have been watching the industry grow since then and I cannot believe how quickly it has evolved. As well as the advancements in drone technology, which is equally impressive and the reason I just bought a Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo & DJI Care Refresh eh…, MA2-FMC+DJICRF?

I ordered direct from DJI which I see some dislike doing but I did not mind the wait plus other options lead to sales tax on $1k+, no thank you. When possible I like to buy direct which in most cases leaves no doubt about warranty or who is responsible for what. With Refresh I guess it doesn’t really matter.

I grew up and have lived in Broward County for many years on and off and finding a place to fly can be difficult. In fact, it is still an ongoing process…

Going out West there is a plenty of Class G

US-27 north of I-75 is uncontrolled but laced with power lines on both sides. South of 75 there are no powerlines on the east side of 27. No shade either which is a shame because these are wide open spaces.

My sister lives in Weston and that is uncontrolled as well but it is a neighborhood and all that that implies. Not to mention it was the scene of my original demonstration crash with the P3Pro. Go back? Not really.

There is Markham Park but not the Airfield unless you are a card-carrying member of the AMA and dues paying member of the Park otherwise you will encounter hostilities. I would stay clear of there. However, the other side of the park offers some opportunity because it is directly adjacent to the Everglades.

Note for Tourists: If you lose a drone in the Everglades consider it lost unless you have a boat. DO NOT enter on foot or you will be eaten.

On the coast, things are a bit different and there are more circles around here than hoola-hoops.

My community is 1mi from FLLs 28L and 1mi from the coast but I am also within a 200’ NFZ. I may try to request authorization and see what kind of response I get.

I can go south towards Hallandale Beach Boulevard which is just outside the zone but I am still scouting the area.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and making contributions.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Greetings from Dania Beach, Broward County, Florida. I am Zeprider but most people call me Zep.

This is not my first foray into the world of drones. Previously (2015) I owned a Phantom 3 Pro with everything that could possibly go with it, all in a giant Lowepro backpack. This was a huge kit! I ended up selling it within a year after a small demonstration turned into a crashed drone and broken camera. I bought the parts, repaired it, and she was like new again.

I found the Phantom to be this long legged, top heavy, unwieldy thing, with a very delicate dangling camera system just waiting for a junk punch, and, well, no obstacle avoidance. Couple that with knowing that the industry was in its early infancy, equipment that is prone to disconnects, fly-aways, and absent of any real insurance offerings. Yeah buddy, I sold the kit to a very lucky and satisfied customer.

I have been watching the industry grow since then and I cannot believe how quickly it has evolved. As well as the advancements in drone technology, which is equally impressive and the reason I just bought a Mavic Air 2 Fly More Combo & DJI Care Refresh eh…, MA2-FMC+DJICRF?

I ordered direct from DJI which I see some dislike doing but I did not mind the wait plus other options lead to sales tax on $1k+, no thank you. When possible I like to buy direct which in most cases leaves no doubt about warranty or who is responsible for what. With Refresh I guess it doesn’t really matter.

I grew up and have lived in Broward County for many years on and off and finding a place to fly can be difficult. In fact, it is still an ongoing process…

Going out West there is a plenty of Class G

US-27 north of I-75 is uncontrolled but laced with power lines on both sides. South of 75 there are no powerlines on the east side of 27. No shade either which is a shame because these are wide open spaces.

My sister lives in Weston and that is uncontrolled as well but it is a neighborhood and all that that implies. Not to mention it was the scene of my original demonstration crash with the P3Pro. Go back? Not really.

There is Markham Park but not the Airfield unless you are a card-carrying member of the AMA and dues paying member of the Park otherwise you will encounter hostilities. I would stay clear of there. However, the other side of the park offers some opportunity because it is directly adjacent to the Everglades.

Note for Tourists: If you lose a drone in the Everglades consider it lost unless you have a boat. DO NOT enter on foot or you will be eaten.

On the coast, things are a bit different and there are more circles around here than hoola-hoops.

My community is 1mi from FLLs 28L and 1mi from the coast but I am also within a 200’ NFZ. I may try to request authorization and see what kind of response I get.

I can go south towards Hallandale Beach Boulevard which is just outside the zone but I am still scouting the area.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and making contributions.
Welcome to the forum from the mountains of Colorful Colorado! We lived many years ago in Plantation, west of Fort Lauderdale. Happy and safe flying!

Lived in Louisville for 19 years. Winters be damned; we were out of there. That was 2015. ?

Welcome to the forum from the mountains of Colorful Colorado! We lived many years ago in Plantation, west of Fort Lauderdale. Happy and safe flying!
Know it well. Went to Seminole Middle School.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forum Zep, congrats on the MA2, I think you will like it very much. I am couple of miles E of 27. Have flown once in Markham during weekday, the place was empty and no issues. Also took off an empty warehouse on 27 and flew over Everglades, very nice scenery but after a few flights it gets old very quick. Enjoy the forum! :)

Welcome ! While you must go west to find uncontrolled. I'm sure you know this already but much of controlled airspace is still accessible via LAANC.

I believe almost all the Broward County and Palm beach county parks are open to flying. The county websites list the exceptions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78