DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Geo Fencing and Zones a complete mess for 107 Pilot

I have posted in past complaining about not being to take off especially when with clients. Last week I returned from a vacation and had 3 jobs waiting for me all in areas I had previously not been able to take off in. So I arranged to do jobs and travelled to first site. Did the job (with Autel) client was satisfied. When he left I tried Mavic. to my astonishment it took off. It said firmware update needed. But it took off. Updated the done, went to other places near me where I previously coulldnt fly albeit I have an authorisation waiver and sure enough it took off??. Tomorrow I am going to two jobs in a LAANC area so will see what happens there. Dont regret buying the Autel I had to work. and of course I am able to fly so I can complete the job. But being able to fly the Mavic again is brilliant. I dont know what Dji did in couple of weeks I was away but my goodness a massive relief to me, and if all carries on well in next month I will probably get the Mavic 2 Pro

I have posted in past complaining about not being to take off especially when with clients. Last week I returned from a vacation and had 3 jobs waiting for me all in areas I had previously not been able to take off in. So I arranged to do jobs and travelled to first site. Did the job (with Autel) client was satisfied. When he left I tried Mavic. to my astonishment it took off. It said firmware update needed. But it took off. Updated the done, went to other places near me where I previously coulldnt fly albeit I have an authorisation waiver and sure enough it took off??. Tomorrow I am going to two jobs in a LAANC area so will see what happens there. Dont regret buying the Autel I had to work. and of course I am able to fly so I can complete the job. But being able to fly the Mavic again is brilliant. I dont know what Dji did in couple of weeks I was away but my goodness a massive relief to me, and if all carries on well in next month I will probably get the Mavic 2 Pro
Taffybrian,

thanks for the heads up. Please let us know if you indeed are finding the incorrectly drawn DJI NFZs are no longer an issue. This could be good news.

-Angel

well Today I went to my two Jobs. One within a LAANC authorised zone and one just outside of any restrictions whatso ever. Thank goodness I took the Autel. I was unable to take off. What can I say so dissapointed but the jobs got done. But for anyone considering the Autel the horizen tilt is a constant adjustment and thats for stills -with video it would be a nightmare

well Today I went to my two Jobs. One within a LAANC authorised zone and one just outside of any restrictions whatso ever. Thank goodness I took the Autel. I was unable to take off. What can I say so dissapointed but the jobs got done. But for anyone considering the Autel the horizen tilt is a constant adjustment and thats for stills -with video it would be a nightmare
Hi,

well that's disappointing. Thanks for the heads up!

So, is anyone down to get together to start our own, US-based drone manufacturing company to compete with the Mavic? I can provide emotional support and some field-experience. Haha!

-Angel

First, welcome to the forum!... there’s a lot of good info here.

Some zones will remain no fly, like the 30 miles presidential visit in Florida. For routine NFZs like airports, etc, I use AirMap for LAANC clearance on my iPhone. It’s instantaneous. I have never been “grounded”.

Check all the other threads on this. They are numerous with a lot of info, how to’s, and explanations.

Pay attention. You are "grounded" by DJI, not the FAA or LAANC. To fly, you have to not only get permission through LAANC, now you have to get permission from DJI. Kinda hard to do if your controller does not have cell data capability.

This has basically rendered my drone USELESS for business purposes. As a licensed 107 pilot who flies multiple missions a week, to have to unlock TFR's that are improperly put into place and stacked (READ: MLB games stacked one on top of each other in perpetuity in Cincinnati, OH) and for the unlock to only last 3 days, I have had to turn down thousands of dollars in missions in this area due to the last minute nature of the jobs to guys who are running outside of the system using either non geofenced drones or drones which circumvent the restrictions via illegal apps and hacks!!
Sucks to pay attention and follow the rules and only be shut down because of it.
Add to all of that, DJI does not approve more than 75% of the time because they require "documentation" which in the US, we do not have or need for TFR's that aren't actually active!!!! SMH

I, too, have had my business basically blown up by DJI's geozone system. The geozone system for FAA airspace should be in place only for pilots who are not FAA licensed. TBH, I'm looking around for a class-action lawsuit to join.

Pay attention. You are "grounded" by DJI, not the FAA or LAANC. To fly, you have to not only get permission through LAANC, now you have to get permission from DJI. Kinda hard to do if your controller does not have cell data capability.
It does seem that getting permission from DJI is a problem for many. I have never asked DJI for permission to fly. I have always used FAA or it’s LAANC designees.
Of note: on the FAA DroneZone site:
You can get as much as 30 day clearance even including NFZs electronically, takes 2-3 days... I have one for a 4 square mile area I use for practice.they also have an extended version with a longer wait that allows 3-6 months of clearance for these areas.
Again, I have never asked DJI for permission ... mostly because they define and illustrate NFZs much differently than all other LAANC providers.

You are really only doing anything even resembling "getting permission" from DJI if you are trying to fly in a restricted zone (custom unlock). Otherwise it's a simple self-unlock process. If the problem is a lack of connectivity at the site, then you can also unlock in advance from the Fly Safe website.

I can catagorically state that I have obtained permission for a location to be unlocked and it showed up as such in when I went to unlock I still was not allowed to take off. I think you are making unfounded suppositions. There is probably a bug in the unlock sequence or the controller . Also how does one unlock a location that is not restricted on GE fence map and has no pins anywhere near it, but drone cannot take off

I can catagorically state that I have obtained permission for a location to be unlocked and it showed up as such in when I went to unlock I still was not allowed to take off. I think you are making unfounded suppositions. There is probably a bug in the unlock sequence or the controller . Also how does one unlock a location that is not restricted on GE fence map and has no pins anywhere near it, but drone cannot take off

I'm simply pointing out how it is supposed to work, which certainly doesn't rule out that something may go wrong with that process. However, you have not clearly demonstrated, as far as I can see, that geofencing is the reason that it would not take off - there are other potential reasons that might happen. Correlation is not necessarily causation.

Discard and reload all the software for you devices and computer. Then try using AirMap or Kittyhawk. I have never asked DJI. For permission to fly (and won’t)... got my clearance through FAA directly and I have never had a problem in about a year with my M2P. I use AirMap at time and location of TO.

You're confusing FAA clearance vs unlocking geofencing built into the DJI firmware/app. If you are in a zone DJI has as restricted, the AC won't let you fly no matter what you did in Airmap or Kittyhawk.

If you're talking about the future where LAANC will be integrated into Go app, that might streamline unlocking geofence since then Go can see your FAA authorization and unlock, instead of it being separate processes.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98