DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New in South Carolina

motoboy

Reactions
HI!
I was given a MM for Christmas and was nonplussed. I never had any interest in UAVs and it was a "oh. a blue sweater. thank you." kind of thing.

However, once I got it all together and figured out the updates needed and had the first flight I was thrilled! Of course I first flew it in the front yard which is 4.9 miles from an airport. Duh. Eventually I educated myself and learned where to fly and now photography is becoming my favorite hobby.

Sadly, I go for rotator cuff/SLAP tear surgery next week, so no more flying for a while. So it's time to read up on composition, 107 & technique and to look at all the great pics on here for inspiration.

Thanks for a fine source of information.
20200816_074301.jpg

HI!
I was given a MM for Christmas and was nonplussed. I never had any interest in UAVs and it was a "oh. a blue sweater. thank you." kind of thing.

However, once I got it all together and figured out the updates needed and had the first flight I was thrilled! Of course I first flew it in the front yard which is 4.9 miles from an airport. Duh. Eventually I educated myself and learned where to fly and now photography is becoming my favorite hobby.

Sadly, I go for rotator cuff/SLAP tear surgery next week, so no more flying for a while. So it's time to read up on composition, 107 & technique and to look at all the great pics on here for inspiration.

Thanks for a fine source of information.
View attachment 110943
I too now reside in SC (Piedmont). I live extremely close ( about a mile as the drone flies:p) to Departure/Arrival runway at a Major Airport. I was finally told to stop calling the tower as they know where I fly and how high I fly and it isn't a concern as long as I stay under 300'...which I do :) Welcome to the hobby :) Would you rather have the Blue Sweater?? LOL. A $400 Present...someone must of thought you were worth a bit ;)

I too now reside in SC (Piedmont). I live extremely close ( about a mile as the drone flies:p) to Departure/Arrival runway at a Major Airport. I was finally told to stop calling the tower as they know where I fly and how high I fly and it isn't a concern as long as I stay under 300'...which I do :) Welcome to the hobby :) Would you rather have the Blue Sweater?? LOL. A $400 Present...someone must of thought you were worth a bit ;)

Ha! I grew up in White Plains (Williamston), went to Wren, worked/lived in Pelzer. I'm now in Greer working at GYH.

It was a good gift, for sure!

Ha! I grew up in White Plains (Williamston), went to Wren, worked/lived in Pelzer. I'm now in Greer working at GYH.

Your old stomping grounds, do you know the fishing pond on 20 going to Pelzer (@2:50)? I gave it a look on this flight.
My First flight with my new M2Z, for your enjoyment ;) That is Route 20 on my right at takeoff and through the video.

Last edited:
Your old stomping grounds, do you know the fishing pond on 20 going to Pelzer (@2:50)? I gave it a look on this flight.
My First flight with my new M2Z, for your enjoyment ;) That is Route 20 on my right at takeoff and through the video.
Oh, Yes! I used to ride my dual sport on that trail that parallels the RR tracks on my way to and from work back at the turn of the century.

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Welcome to our forum, motoboy, from Hauptmann in Texas.

You'll find that the Mini almost flies itself. This can lead to overconfidence. Try to be conservative at first, and expand your horizons gradually. The Mini, at only 249 grams, doesn't handle wind as well as the heavier drones do. On windy days it's best to fly the Mini so that you have a tail wind on the way back.

Read your manual (link below), and practice using "Find My Drone". Chances are you'll crash and perhaps lose your drone. Don't wait 'til that happens to try to learn under stress in less than ideal conditions. We have over 100,000 members from around the world who will help you learn your new hobby. Ask for help when you need it. Share your work when you can!

Glad you've joined us!
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/20200212/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome to the forums - a lot of good info here. So, take a look around and hope you enjoy some of the fine photography and information posted by the members.

If looking for an online course for Part 107 Gold Seal offers an excellent one IMHO
HERE is a link to their school and they are an approved vendor.

Pass Your Part 107 Exam
Or We'll Pay For It

• Taught by FAA Certificated Flight Instructors
  • Practice with actual FAA questions and examples
  • Lifetime Access
    100% Pass Guarantee
Also, if you haven't done so yet, consider getting the AirMap and KittyHawk apps. I also suggest this Visualize it: See FAA UAS Data on a Map

I did some UAS work just off the end of one of the runways at Donaldson for a client building a new structure. We had a 100' clearance and while we were there a group of T-6 Texans were flying from there to a show and they were so close I could see the pilots clearly as they passed over. I didn't have time to get my camera out before they were already gone. Was AWESOME to be there and see that.

They asked you to stop calling probably because you weren't/aren't following the new regulations. It now depends on the AIRSPACE you're flying in and if under LAANC you get electronic approval before flying. Without actual approval you can not legally fly in Controlled AirSpace regardless of distance from the airport/runway etc.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reactions: Hauptmann
Welcome to the forum. You will find much support and assistance here. We look forward to your contributions and your view of the world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sound