DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New iPads (including iPad Mini) announced

Personally for the convenience I wouldn't use an ipad without cellular, no cellular = no onboard GPS. Absolutely necessary?
I bought a 6th generation iPad to fly with as the iPad mini 4 was becoming marginal in it's capabilities depending on your applications. If the Mini 5 had been available then I would would have gone with it gladly.

Regards
Ari

I have a question. It`s a bit off topic but related. I was thinking the Ipad mini 4, wont now, but thought they were too old and my phone works fine. But I want more screen space.
So a bit of a noob question.

As Decado stated no cellular= no GPS. So with a cellular model do you have to sign up for some kind of plan like a mobile phone to get it to work? No plan = no cellular service = no GPS?
Is that how it works? Sorry if it sounds like a basic question.

I have an iPad 4 (-not the mini) and it won't load the Go4 siftware. That's DJI's way of telling you to get something newer.

I have a question. It`s a bit off topic but related. I was thinking the Ipad mini 4, wont now, but thought they were too old and my phone works fine. But I want more screen space.
So a bit of a noob question.

Works fine on Wi-Fi only too. You just have to enable cache maps in the Go 4 app settings.

I bought a new iPad Mini 4 Wi-Fi two weeks ago (and Apple does this! :p) as I was having serious lag and latency issues with my Android Phone. Screen size was a problem too. It fits the controller snugly and I use it exclusively for flying my drones, accessing this forum and You Tube drone tutorials/reviews. Nothing else.

It has worked absolutely fine, so far; no complaints whatsoever. reviews suggest screen brightness has always been an issue with tabs this size (most actually). So if the new model hasn't addressed that, then I don't care! If they have and reviews suggest it's performance in the sun has delivered a marked improvement over the preceding Mini models, then I will have a problem. I will be extremely tempted to buy the new one. Will have to have it in fact! :(

I have an iPad 4 (-not the mini) and it won't load the Go4 siftware. That's DJI's way of telling you to get something newer.

There must be something going on with your particular iPad Mini 4. There are many members of this forum who successfully run DJI Go 4 on their Mini 4s. What's the error message that appears when you try to install the app?

So with a cellular model do you have to sign up for some kind of plan like a mobile phone to get it to work? No plan = no cellular service = no GPS?

Hi monchan

To answer you directly, you have a number of options. You can take out a device repayment option and plan through a telco and pay it out over 24 months which of course means you will be on a plan and paying off the device as well. It's a good option for a business as it's all a tax write off, for the individual it's up to you to decide.

Or you can purchase the device outright from a retailer and then you have three options:-

You can take out a "sim only" plan with a telco

Get a pre paid sim card from a telco and top it up when you need more data or monthly or whatever telcos in your part of the world do

Last of all if it's only the onboard GPS you are after and not mobile data you can buy a cellular + wifi device but there's no one saying you have to even put a sim card in it. Your GPS will still work.

Hope that clears it up

BTW there's a no "noob" or silly questions. The only silly question is the one you regret not asking later on ;)

Regards
Ari

Last edited:
Saw that the new IPad mini is 25% brighter.
Been using the mini 4 w the raised mount. Works great but sometimes gives me an error when also screen recording. Especially when it’s florida hot down here.

Not sure but for very cheap you can get one of the lifts that puts it in a much more comfortable position.

I have the non-mini iPad 4, and it won't load the DJI app. From what others are saying, the iPad 4 mini will. Instead, I'm using my iPhone 7+ which works great!

There's a video on YouTube by ReadySetDrone that addresses compatibility issues, and my particular issue was discussed. Rather than continue to tinker with the problem, my plan is to just buy a new iPad. I now have an excuse!

Screen brightness will continue to be a latent problem though, and that difficulty exists while using iDevices in regular aircraft. I use an aviation program called Foreflight, and reflections and screen dimness haunt me while flying. I've tried non-glare screens to no avail. The only answer is to shade the screen, or keep it out of direct sunlight. Regular aircraft displays are much brighter (-and much more expensive). So we play the cards that we are dealt, and focus on the fun!

Saw that the new IPad mini is 25% brighter.
Been using the mini 4 w the raised mount. Works great but sometimes gives me an error when also screen recording. Especially when it’s florida hot down here.
Mini 4 at 450 nit
Mini 5 at 500 nit
Not sure that represents a 25% increase.
What did I miss?

Reactions: mwardncsu
Does the new Ipad 4 have stand alone GPS. Reason asking is where I fly there is no cell phone signal.

Thus far all of Apple's devices have had their GPS integrated on the Cellular chip which is the reason why you need to have a Cellular model to have GPS. There is nothing saying that because you have a cellular model that you must be connected to a mobile network.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: PJTDrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe