DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New iPhone 11 pro vs Crystalsky

There is another thread about using the iPhone 11 Pro as a monitor in the DJI Smart Controller channel.

I too was hopeful when I heard mention of 1200 nits on the new iPhone 11 Pro during the keynote presentation. I don't think you are going to see 1200 nits on the new iPhone 11 Pro very often.

The iPhone 11 Pro - Technical Specifications - Apple

in the Display section for:

Both models:
  • True Tone display
  • Wide color display (P3)
  • Haptic Touch
  • 800 nits max brightness (typical); 1200 nits max brightness (HDR)
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating

Crystal sky’s advantage is the brightness. I sold mine because i usually had to resort to my phone for updates, which the crystal sky always failed at. Phone was so much faster and smoother. Only the brightness was better. Crystal sky is slow and temperamental. The iPhone is smooth, seamless and always works. With more nits on the iPhone, the value on CS drops considerably.

Crystal sky’s advantage is the brightness. I sold mine because i usually had to resort to my phone for updates, which the crystal sky always failed at. Phone was so much faster and smoother. Only the brightness was better. Crystal sky is slow and temperamental. The iPhone is smooth, seamless and always works. With more nits on the iPhone, the value on CS drops considerably.
Interesting, my CS has always done the updates unless I chose to ignore on startup. My iPhone 11 is no faster and relatively hard to read due to size. Not experiencing any glitches and control is real-time, immediate, plus quick. Value may be down, but only for those happy with iPhone to control.

Reactions: Category 5
I want to get a 12.9 iPad Pro to use. I currently have an iPhone XS Max and a Note 8 for phones that i can use. My note has screen burn in issues. I’m not sure if I’ll replace my Note with a Note 10 Plus or iPhone 11 Pro Max. My iPhone is my personal phone and the Note i use for my business phone. I currently also have an iPad Air and a iPad Air 2. I haven’t tested out the iPad on my M2P yet.

I wanted to buy s smart controller but it seemed like a waste of money because i can get a Note 10 Plus for the same amount with the $300 gift card At&t is offering right now.

Are the iPads i have no adequate for me to use? Both are the cellular versions. Are the processors on the iPads i own strong enough? I’ve seen videos where the iPad Pro 1st generation is still powerful enough?

I want to get a 12.9 iPad Pro to use. I currently have an iPhone XS Max and a Note 8 for phones that i can use. My note has screen burn in issues. I’m not sure if I’ll replace my Note with a Note 10 Plus or iPhone 11 Pro Max. My iPhone is my personal phone and the Note i use for my business phone. I currently also have an iPad Air and a iPad Air 2. I haven’t tested out the iPad on my M2P yet.

I wanted to buy s smart controller but it seemed like a waste of money because i can get a Note 10 Plus for the same amount with the $300 gift card At&t is offering right now.

Are the iPads i have no adequate for me to use? Both are the cellular versions. Are the processors on the iPads i own strong enough? I’ve seen videos where the iPad Pro 1st generation is still powerful enough?

You can see the list of officially supported devices here:

iOS V 4.3.24
Requires iOS 10.0.0 or later (Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom requires iOS 10.0.2 or later).
Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4.
Optimized for iPhone X.

And this is an unofficial one compiled from user feedback:

It looks like both the ipad pro and ipad air 2 should work fine although it may be worth getting people's thoughts on the size and the weight of Ipad Pro on the controller, I use a 10in which is about as big as I'd want to go although I said that about an 8in tablet before.

Reactions: Thanohano44
If you want HDMI output for video streaming or sharing a separate monitor, it is still easier to use CS (Apple TV is cumbersome), but it wont work with a lot of apps, so the iphone is still a good bet. I kept and use my 6s+ As a dedicated controller along with my CS when I need it.

If you want HDMI output for video streaming or sharing a separate monitor, it is still easier to use CS (Apple TV is cumbersome), but it wont work with a lot of apps, so the iphone is still a good bet. I kept and use my 6s+ As a dedicated controller along with my CS when I need it.
Thanks for the advice.

I use my Ipad mini 4 most of the time but if I need a bright screen I have a CS 7.85. Most of the time I can find shade to stand under with my Mini but there are times there's not.

Too bad i
Too bad iPhones and iPads don’t have a HDMI output while using them as a controller, CS does. And streaming it with Apple TV is not nearly as functional nor higher quality as using a basic HDMI cable.

I agree 100%. The CS is sluggish at times. Without the brightness and the screen size I wouldn't even use it. Looking forward to one of you guys giving a report on the iPhone 11 Pro Max with M2P.

I agree 100%. The CS is sluggish at times. Without the brightness and the screen size I wouldn't even use it. Looking forward to one of you guys giving a report on the iPhone 11 Pro Max with M2P.
I just switched from an iPad Mini 5 to a SC. Coming from the go4 app on iOS to the Android version is already one significant disappointment for me: No offline sat/hybrid maps. Nevertheless the switch to the SC was the right decision. I‘ve realised that a bigger screen is not much of a help if it is too dark. Finding shadow worked to see at least see something on the iPad screen. The SC performs far better here. In bright sunlight I still see more on the SC that on iPad Mini screen in the shadow.

Furthermore the iPad tends to dimm the screen AND the CPU when its getting hot (>28 Celcius) In thoses cases I‘ve ended up with a dimm screen and a slighty stuttering video feed because of a throttled down CPU. In icy temperatures the battery of the iPad goes down fast like hell.

For „normal“ situations the iPad Mini 5 is the better and cheaper solution. I have forgot to mention that the overall handling of the SC is better than a regular combo.
However I share the public opinion that the SC would find much more buyers if the price would be 450.-

Anyone who tries out a iPhone 11pro or 11pro Max with GO4, please post your reaction.
I I also also Put this post on another site but I will repeat it. I have tried and rejected mini iPad 4, iPhone 7 plus, iPhone X. Yesterday I tried my new iPhone 11 promax. We don’t have very sunny days often in the UK but it was a normal reasonably bright day. I was flabbergasted at how clear the screen was. (A word of warning make sure you switch off automatic brightness and turn the brightness up to the maximum, and also to avoid unwanted interruptions put it into airport mode). I definitely will not be buying the crystal sky 5.5 inch as its screen is smaller, the battery lasts for far less time, it is much bulkier and heavier and the screen resolution is dramatically less than the iPhone 11 Pro Max. I suspect the reason the results are so good are because of a combination of the high nit rating and the incredible contrast.
to be on the safe side I also purchased a screen sunshade but to date I have not used it. I would be fascinated to hear if anyone has tried it out in Arizona or Texas where I believe you really do get bright sunshine.

Hi guys I just want to know if you use iphone 11 pro with Mavic 2 ZOOM without any problem as it is not on the list of compatible devices. and if so which version of software you use. I am gonna buy iphone 11 and I want to use it with mavic 2 zoom

I just want to know if you use iphone 11 pro with Mavic 2 ZOOM without any problem
I am using iPhone 11 Pro (iOS v 13.3.1) along with iPad mini 5 with various DJI aircraft.
Using GO4 (v4.3.32) without any problems.

I I also also Put this post on another site but I will repeat it. I have tried and rejected mini iPad 4, iPhone 7 plus, iPhone X. Yesterday I tried my new iPhone 11 promax. We don’t have very sunny days often in the UK but it was a normal reasonably bright day. I was flabbergasted at how clear the screen was. (A word of warning make sure you switch off automatic brightness and turn the brightness up to the maximum, and also to avoid unwanted interruptions put it into airport mode). I definitely will not be buying the crystal sky 5.5 inch as its screen is smaller, the battery lasts for far less time, it is much bulkier and heavier and the screen resolution is dramatically less than the iPhone 11 Pro Max. I suspect the reason the results are so good are because of a combination of the high nit rating and the incredible contrast.
to be on the safe side I also purchased a screen sunshade but to date I have not used it. I would be fascinated to hear if anyone has tried it out in Arizona or Texas where I believe you really do get bright sunshine.
Not sure what control device you meant, but I have or do own them all. I don’t like the 5.5” SC or 5.5” CS as much as my 7.85” CS. I am flying mostly in AZ and I use a foldable hood (sunshade) for my 7.85 CS for best screen visibility... also folds flat as a screen protector. I love the quick setup of the SM... sometimes use it on longer hikes to save weight.
I use my iPhone XMax for what it is, never as a controller.

I switched from my iphone 11 pro to the smart controller and then swtiched back because the brightness of the display of smart controller is not significantly better and the worst of all, the video feed is very choppy because of it's limited video processing power. I have been told that the CS is even worst in this regard.

Choppy video feed of SC :

I switched from my iphone 11 pro to the smart controller and then swtiched back because the brightness of the display of smart controller is not significantly better and the worst of all, the video feed is very choppy because of it's limited video processing power. I have been told that the CS is even worst in this regard.

Choppy video feed of SC :

What was the brand and specs on the video card?
Was the frame skipping evident to you on the SC only, or on the iPhone also?
Assume that the posted video is a screen capture.... correct?

What was the brand and specs on the video card?
Was the frame skipping evident to you on the SC only, or on the iPhone also?
Assume that the posted video is a screen capture.... correct?

The choppiness has nothing to do with the video card of the computer. The SC simply can not process the live video feed quick enough to produce a smooth video.

iphone 11 pro does not have such problem.

Yes, it's a screen capture of DJI GO 4 done with the SC. The posted video above is not mine. I found it after I saw the same phenomenon on my SC so I concluded that it's a common problem of the SC. This video is mine :

My question was poor... I meant the SD card brand, history, and ratings.
As FYI, I only record to the SD card in my drone as change it with each flight.
Is the drone new? Is all software current?
I am not experiencing this problem with SC or CS controllers recording to the SD cards in the drone in over 700 flights.... mine is M2P.
Let’s see if others offer opinions. Might be useful to contact DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie