DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Law Would Give Feds the Right to Shoot Down Your Drone

webidextrous

Reactions
Buried in an FAA bill that comes to the House floor Wednesday is language that lets the FBI and DHS shoot down “credible threats.”

New law would give feds the right to shoot down private drones in U.S.

“But critics say the language in the bill doesn't define credible threats or areas where drones could be taken down, and that the federal government may now be able to circumvent current federal laws that limit surveillance.”

In other words, “we have certain buildings and areas that are secret and that you’ll never know are secret until you find that your drone has been shot out of the sky”

How would one know where one can fly if a no-fly zone is a secret from the public?

If they miss, were would that bullet go and how far? The 4th of July, people have been killed by stray bullets, also goes for News Years eve.
Risky for sure - but not for Spiderman!
No fly zones then should b updated either on a weekly or monthly basis. How r we 2 no what is a no fly zone is if it's not posted.

I downloaded a app on my phone called Airmap and so far it has served me well. When I go to an area I open it and it even shows if there is a fire truck or other such in the area.

So it means that your neighbors nor the local LEO have no rights to shoot your drone/s down flying w/ in FAA regs.

I would have thought they could do what they want anyway.

I would hazard a guess that shooting down isn't done with a gun but electronically.

I'm kinda thinking most EMS and police depts. will have "electronic guns" pretty soon --- aim it at a drone and it overwhelms the little bugger with a massive amt. of RF interference --- drops out of the sky --- PROBLEM SOLVED

Reactions: Turn11
Oceanside, CA, a city in San Diego County, has had an electronic "drone killer" since April. They have not been able to use it (so far):

Emergency Responders Can’t Use 'Drone-Killer' Technology

I suspect that HR 302 contains language that will allow law enforcement to use such electronic "forced return to home" devices.

The linked article mentions that two drones were flying over a brush fire in Oceanside in 2017 and the drone presence prevented a water-drop helicopter from flying. The brush fire spread more quickly because the helicopter couldn't fly.

I hope HR 302 leads to not only forcing these illegal drone flights out of the sky, but also leads to the arrest of (and significant fines for) future morons that fly their drones over emergency situations.

Mark

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803