DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic 2 owner - how to manually discharge batteries? Decided to get M2P and M2Z pair instead of M3

pchaps

Reactions
My question: what’s the best charger that can discharge Mavic 2 batteries?

The rest of the story:
After having a chronic lost RC connections experience with MA2 and RC Pro, and not needing the funky second camera on M3, I decided a) that I will use a basic controllers and a tablet (TriplTek 8 Pro or my existing iPad with some McGuyver cooling), and b) I would buy both a used Mavic 2 Pro -and- Mavic 2 Zoom. I shopped hard locally and found the Zoom first (from a fine young man with 2 very young children), and the the 2 Pro from a law enforcement officer (who flies Matrice 300 for his department). Both fine individuals and solid test flights. I now have both aircraft, 2 basic controllers, extra props, 3 batteries, chargers, and two very nice cases with perfectly fit foam inside — for LESS than a Mavic 3 with basic controller at Best Buy.

My question: as I read through the great collection of posts here, my immediate want is for a charger than can discharge to storage voltage. I know about the smart batteries, I just want a way to discharge my fully-charged batteries after and assignment.

What is a proven make/model of a unit that can discharge Mavic 2 batteries to ideal storage voltage? Do they have for good cooling, and the ability to attach more than one battery, even it’d it discharges one at a time.

Thanks for the prompt reply! How do you like your Tripltek?

Reactions: MA2 317
Thanks for the prompt reply! How do you like your Tripltek?

The Tripltek is awesome.

If interested, there were a couple of the 7" Pros on sale in the classifieds not too long ago for a reasonable price.

Reactions: pchaps
Thanks. I sent the seller a PM.

Reactions: MA2 317
To answer the question posed in the title.
I either fly the drone or use the battery adapter to charge something else, no point in wasting the energy. But I also have the auto discharge set to 1 or 2 days.

i just have my auto discharge set to 2 days. No need for anything extra. No problems in 2 1/2 years.

i just have my auto discharge set to 2 days. No need for anything extra. No problems in 2 1/2 years.
Thats remarkable as some folks mention having battery issues after 2 years. I will see how the used batteries that came with my two used M2's are set, then do the same for my new batteries that just arrives. Now I am reading the March 6th post from Yaros about their issues with auto-discharge. I need to delve into that setting tomorrow. Pretty excited! My impression is that I am astonished that I have two complete M2 kits in these compact protective cases!

From memory Yaros is flying an air 2 or air 2s which is a different drone/battery and control app.
I have not encountered any problems with auto discharge with the Mavic 2 pro/zoom batteries but one thing you should be aware of is that they give off heat when discharging, not huge amounts but it might be wise to allow them ventilation.

From memory Yaros is flying an air 2 or air 2s which is a different drone/battery and control app.
I have not encountered any problems with auto discharge with the Mavic 2 pro/zoom batteries but one thing you should be aware of is that they give off heat when discharging, not huge amounts but it might be wise to allow them ventilation.
Thanks. Will do! I currently fly with 10ah lipos and do diligent battery maintenance Does anyone store their DJI batteries in the fridge?

Thats remarkable as some folks mention having battery issues after 2 years. I will see how the used batteries that came with my two used M2's are set, then do the same for my new batteries that just arrives. Now I am reading the March 6th post from Yaros about their issues with auto-discharge. I need to delve into that setting tomorrow. Pretty excited! My impression is that I am astonished that I have two complete M2 kits in these compact protective cases!
There was a brief flurry of swelling problems on M2 batteries but those seemed to be isolated to a small manufacturing date window. Some folks were attributing it to charging issues but I haven’t heard of any cases in a year or so.

Thanks. Will do! I currently fly with 10ah lipos and do diligent battery maintenance Does anyone store their DJI batteries in the fridge?
Aren't there recommendations for minimum storage temperatures?

Aren't there recommendations for minimum storage temperatures?
71.6 F to 86 F (22 C to 30 C). I found a PDF of the manuals for the M2P and and reading it cover to cover now. Even RTH is more complex than I thought. Cheers!

71.6 F to 86 F (22 C to 30 C). I found a PDF of the manuals for the M2P and and reading it cover to cover now. Even RTH is more complex than I thought. Cheers!
Yeah the RTH is indeed complicated, plus you can add to it's actions with the constant altitude (or some such name) thing. Did you read the failsafe behaviour?

My question: what’s the best charger that can discharge Mavic 2 batteries?

The rest of the story:
After having a chronic lost RC connections experience with MA2 and RC Pro, and not needing the funky second camera on M3, I decided a) that I will use a basic controllers and a tablet (TriplTek 8 Pro or my existing iPad with some McGuyver cooling), and b) I would buy both a used Mavic 2 Pro -and- Mavic 2 Zoom. I shopped hard locally and found the Zoom first (from a fine young man with 2 very young children), and the the 2 Pro from a law enforcement officer (who flies Matrice 300 for his department). Both fine individuals and solid test flights. I now have both aircraft, 2 basic controllers, extra props, 3 batteries, chargers, and two very nice cases with perfectly fit foam inside — for LESS than a Mavic 3 with basic controller at Best Buy.

My question: as I read through the great collection of posts here, my immediate want is for a charger than can discharge to storage voltage. I know about the smart batteries, I just want a way to discharge my fully-charged batteries after and assignment.

What is a proven make/model of a unit that can discharge Mavic 2 batteries to ideal storage voltage? Do they have for good cooling, and the ability to attach more than one battery, even it’d it discharges one at a time.
Hey, I make a gadget especially for this (i.e. discharging to storage or full calibration), for most types of DJI battery. I call it the Phantom Angel (once upon a time first I made it for my own Phantom 2!). More info here: Phantom Angel

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute