DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Air owner - Brisbane, Australia

striff

Reactions
Hi All,
Been waiting a "real" Drone for a while and finally bit the bullet with a Mavic Air.

Thought it was the best balance between features cost and size.
Was part Birthday present too, and ironically the week-end I got it, it was raining constantly.
There was a small break in the rain, so I took it out (never read the instructions but did watch plenty of videos) so this video is just learning, I have since configured everything to my liking.

I had nothing but issues trying to update it, got stuck at 30% (Showing on my Galaxy S8), after reading some solutions, I unplugged the usb cable, it then jumped to 90%, plug the usb cable back in, and got stuck at 99%.
Sigh.

SO then downloaded the software and updated on my PC.
Then when (so far) I connect it to my controller, it says something about inconsistent firmware, and updates; done this twice now...

I'm yet to buy a memory card, but also trying to work out how to manually take off in Alti Mode.

Tried the two sticks downward then re-centre but nothing!?
Anyone can share light on how to, mostly for indoor flying..

Cheers

Take big breath. Always a little frustrating when we first start and need to update. It sounds like you have updated the bird ok via computer. That’s why you are getting inconsistent firmware as the controller also needs updating. I’m not sure about the batteries, but all other DJI products need these to also update.
Start with making sure all your batteries are fully charged, connected to good wifi signal, and start up. In theory you should just have to follow directions and the controller will update to match the controller. It can sometimes take a while.

I would get everything up and running and updated before trying to fly indoors.

Welcome and have fun

Where abouts in Brisbane are you? I might be able to give you a hand if it keeps playing up

Last edited:
Reactions: striff
Take big breath. Always a little frustrating when we first start and need to update. It sounds like you have updated the bird ok via computer. That’s why you are getting inconsistent firmware as the controller also needs updating. I’m not sure about the batteries, but all other DJI products need these to also update.
Start with making sure all your batteries are fully charged, connected to good wifi signal, and start up. In theory you should just have to follow directions and the controller will update to match the controller. It can sometimes take a while.

I would get everything up and running and updated before trying to fly indoors.

Welcome and have fun

Where abouts in Brisbane are you? I might be able to give you a hand if it keeps playing up
Cheers mate,

North West, Upper Kedron near Ferny Grove.
Just going to turn it on shortly to see how it goes with regards to complaining about updates!
Yeah, the controller updated when first connected, all batteries were / are fully charged

Cheers mate,

North West, Upper Kedron near Ferny Grove.
Just going to turn it on shortly to see how it goes with regards to complaining about updates!
Yeah, the controller updated when first connected, all batteries were / are fully charged
Thought I recognised the hills in the background. I’m just over the other side at my crosby

The rules
  • You must not fly your drone higher than 120 metres (400 ft) above the ground.
  • You must not fly your drone over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway (without prior approval). This could include situations such as a car crash, police operations, a fire and associated firefighting efforts, and search and rescue operations.
  • You must not fly your drone within 30 metres of people, unless the other person is part of controlling or navigating the drone.
  • You must fly only one drone at a time.
  • If your drone weighs more than 100 grams:
    • You must keep your drone at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes (usually those with a control tower)
    • You may fly within 5.5km of a non-controlled aerodrome or helicopter landing site (HLS) only if manned aircraft are not operating to or from the aerodrome. If you become aware of manned aircraft operating to or from the aerodrome/ HLS, you must manoeuvre away from the aircraft and land as soon as safely possible. This includes:
      • not operating your drone within the airfield boundary (*without approval)
      • not operating your drone in the approach and departure paths of the aerodrome (*without approval)
  • You must only fly during the day and keep your drone within visual line-of sight.
    • This means being able to orientate, navigate and see the aircraft with your own eyes at all times (rather than through a device; for example, through goggles or on a video screen).
  • You must not fly over or above people. This could include festivals, sporting ovals, populated beaches, parks, busy roads and footpaths.
  • You must not operate your drone in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, person, or property
  • You must not operate your drone in prohibited or restricted areas.
* Approval is generally linked to an approved model flying association and its members

Please respect personal privacy. Don’t record or photograph people without their consent—this may breach state laws.

Important: tips for flying within the law
  • There might be local council and/or national park laws prohibiting drone flights in certain areas.
  • Research the area you plan to fly and contact your council or national park if you're unsure.
  • Don't operate near emergency services aircraft – if you fly, they can't.
Find out more
You’ll find these rules, plus useful videos and resources, on our dedicated Drone Flyer website.

Model aircraft
Remotely piloted aircraft used for sport or recreational purposes that weigh 150kg or less are considered to be operating privately and are regulated by the provisions for model aircraft.

Contact us
Still have questions? Call us on 131 757 or contact us via our online enquiry form.

Last modified: 22 January 2018

Hi All,
Been waiting a "real" Drone for a while and finally bit the bullet with a Mavic Air.

Thought it was the best balance between features cost and size.
Was part Birthday present too, and ironically the week-end I got it, it was raining constantly.
There was a small break in the rain, so I took it out (never read the instructions but did watch plenty of videos) so this video is just learning, I have since configured everything to my liking.

I had nothing but issues trying to update it, got stuck at 30% (Showing on my Galaxy S8), after reading some solutions, I unplugged the usb cable, it then jumped to 90%, plug the usb cable back in, and got stuck at 99%.
Sigh.

SO then downloaded the software and updated on my PC.
Then when (so far) I connect it to my controller, it says something about inconsistent firmware, and updates; done this twice now...

I'm yet to buy a memory card, but also trying to work out how to manually take off in Alti Mode.

Tried the two sticks downward then re-centre but nothing!?
Anyone can share light on how to, mostly for indoor flying..

Cheers
Howdy from Wyoming @striff , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
:)

So I connected and powered on the MA again, firmware check and no more prompting about firmware.

Still can get it to power on when it's in Alto mode though.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

also trying to work out how to manually take off in Alti Mode
Make sure you disable beginner mode first. When that's enabled, you will not be able to start the motors like that when there is not a good GPS connection.

BTW, flying inside (especially in a house) is pretty dangerous and could lead to costly damage. It would be a good idea to attach the prop guards if you must fly indoors.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Make sure you disable beginner mode first. When that's enabled, you will not be able to start the motors like that when there is not a good GPS connection.

BTW, flying inside (especially in a house) is pretty dangerous and could lead to costly damage. It would be a good idea to attach the prop guards if you must fly indoors.
Totally understand,
I actually don't intend to actually fly indoors, just making sure it works.
Turning off Beginner mode was the first thing I did.

Very odd.

What do you see at the top, left of DJI GO right before attempting to start the motors?

Hello striff,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC PRO/PLATINUM MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0-.pdf
*MAVIC AIR MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic Air/20180213/Mavic Air User Manual_v1.2.pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

What happens when to attempt to start the motors while outside?

Got it sorted.
Instead of going straight down on the controllers, I went down at a 45-degree angle.
Found a thread on it, in this forum!...

My intention was to just see, but I ended up putting on the guards and flew around for a few minutes, then did a video (up to ISO and slowed down the shutter [I'm quite confirmable with manual camera settings] of the house inside.

Just totally impressed, I had doubts about the low light performance and high iso settings with a small sensor, but it came out great.
Flying was a breeze too, they make these things so easy, my "toy" drone, that could do backflips was a lot harder to master, definitely helped !

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman