DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Air Pilot Questions

bmoore1118

Reactions
Good Day everyone. I am new to drone flying and new to mavicpilots.com.

I have been a still (ground) photographer for over 10 years but decided to take the next step and get into drones as a hobby. I got the fly more mavic air pack at best buy on a screaming sale. I have been flying all weekend and love love love this thing. I know the photos are not going to be the best because if the fixed focus but the 4k video is stunning. I love flying (almost had my single engine license until life got in the way) so flying drones comes easy to me.

I just had a few questions before i embark.

Are there any tips and tricks that people have to make sure I have fun and stay safe. (I am aware of the faa rules)?

Are there any accessories that people would recommend me buying?

Anything else people can let me know about please let me know.

Thank you all!!!

Don’t underestimate that little camera! Shoot RAW and fly during blue and golden hours. You will be pleasantly surprised!

I would say a first must buy is a set of good ND filters.

Reactions: Flying Nun

d154963bbcb90b1366106cf626884a4e.jpg

Unfamiliar with those.
These are the ones I use, and they are a great set.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I would say a carrying case too, preferably customized for the Mavic Air and its accessories. I purchased the fly more combo package but quickly realized what an advantage having a proper carrying case for the Air plus accessories would be. It ensures you have all your gear you may need in one place while out flying. Best way to keep it safe too.

Reactions: dragontw
Learn how to slow the controls and gimbal down in the app. It will make any footage you get so much better and
more satisfying when you sit down to view it.

I have looked at those settings some (tripod mode, ect). Also played with the gimble speed settings. Anyone have a balenced gimble speed setting you use for filming. It was just a guess for me?

One Other question for everyone. I have had the DJI insurance pop for me in the app. Is this worth my money?

I have also seen on amazon they make little flotter feet for the drone when flying on water. Would you recommend these?

d154963bbcb90b1366106cf626884a4e.jpg

Unfamiliar with those.
These are the ones I use, and they are a great set.

I have the same ones, decent filters, but they do seem to add a bit of a blue tint to my imagery. Can be color corrected though in post-production.

Learn how to slow the controls and gimbal down in the app. It will make any footage you get so much better and
Check out the video on this subject on 51 Drones YouTube channel. I used his settings, and they have dramatically improved my videos.

One Other question for everyone. I have had the DJI insurance pop for me in the app. Is this worth my money?
If you live in the US, reach out to State Farm Insurance Agency and ask them for a stand alone personal articles policy. For $60 a year, you can cover your drone and accessories with $0 deductible and will cover for crashes even if you cannot recover your drone. The coverage is much more comprehensive compared to DJI coverage.

Reactions: dawgpilot
i guess state farm does not offer that anymore

Why do you say that? It's possible that your state is excluded, but plenty of people have had success buying that policy. Apparently some agents aren't as enthusiastic about selling the policy either, so you might have luck trying another agent.

i guess state farm does not offer that anymore
They absolutely still offer a personal articles policy. Some agents aren't familiar with "Drone Insurance", so you have to use the proper wording when you inquire. Call and ask for a stand alone personal articles policy specifically. They will ask you what articles you want to cover and what are the value(s). I have heard that some State Farms in certain states such as California do not offer the coverage if its for a drone, but I have not seen or heard this directly from State Farm. But they definitely do offer this in my state and many many other states that I've heard of. Either call back and discuss further or try a different agent in you area with different wording.

Reactions: offtheback
My footage was full of erratic unpleasant movements till I learned this. Makes a world of a difference.

Reactions: monchan
I saw a post on a drone forum about 9 months ago that that person got an letter from state farm that they are canceling it. On state farms site it is not listed anymore.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elikruj