DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic combo, undecided what tablet to use - Ipad or samsung?

Hi all,
Question please about tablets,.. I was looking at a Huawei and noticed on the spec sheet this-
***GPS
Supports GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, and BDS.
Note: Kobe-W09C, Kobe-W09CHN do not support A-GPS.***

I know nothing about A-GPS and was wanting to see whether or not this should be a concern. Noob with a Mavic but been flying drones going on three years- just new to dji. The model I was considering matches the A-GPS. Any thoughts?

Let Me Google That

For those that wonder why IOS tends to be more stable than Android. This is a good video that explains why it's harder for DJI to build an app that works on Android without issues. After some initial problems with my Moto G4, it has become quite reliable now. I did disable local video caching, but I'm a little short on internal flash right now.

The short of it is that Android is a much harder target to hit with all the manufactures hacking/customizing the OS. The closer to stock Android OS you are, the more likely you are to have success. The solution, use a non-famous branded Android device instead of an expensive one. Even more ideal, dedicate a device that only runs the Go app.

Apple exercises absolute control over the hardware and minimizes the number of versions that are out there. I'm not saying this is a good thing, just that it makes it easier on app development.
Good video link. Thanks.... Not too far into the weeds, but enough to provide a broad understanding of the environment. I particularly liked that he pointed to the number of resources that DJI uses and then ties his closing recommendations to 1) close/shutdown anything/everything that could be running in the background using resources, 2) keeping firmware and applications in sync.

I'll continue running my iPad Mini 3, dedicated to my quad applications ( Parrot, Mavic, Traxxas and a few "toy" drones ). And each time I fly, clearing the Apps and turning off any Notifications. I DID join the Lemmings in purchasing one of the Huawei phones and have been stripping it of as many extraneous apps and processes as possible. I WILL -however- wait to use it for a few weeks. No way I'm hooking up a cheap ( aka inexpensive ) device without having someone else "beta test" and report on their success :) Again, thanks for contributing this video link.

Reactions: Afremont
I'm an Andriod person and I have used various Andriod tablets with very little luck. I just got an iPad 9.7 via Best Buy with the Apple Care and the Mavic is flying like there's no tomorrow. I don't know how or why, but my Mavic's flight range seems to have improved with iPad.

my choice would be the Nvidia tablet with Litchi program. I’ve been flying like this for 9 months. I do use an iPhone with djigo for updates and to stay fresh on djigo but prefer Litchi and an Android.

Not a fan off apple stuff but picked up a used iPad mini 4 just for the Mavic.

Not one issue.

I have had my Asus ZenPad 8s for about 6 months now and never had one issue... I use the tablet for the mavic and the mavic only... all bloatware and other programs not related to DJI or the mavic have been deleted... Point is... whatever you get, make it your mavic's... dont use it for daily use and you should never have an issue. I bought a tablet that was not on the "Verified by DJI or other members list" and has been trouble free since day one!

2m26hjk.jpg

Reactions: MadValley
Just consider your old Large phones. Was using note 5 to fly Drone, definitely large enough display and clicks in below controls but was running out of space. Just bought Note 8 with large data (60g). Decided to keep note 5 and use hotspot off new phone. That way if someone rings while u are flying, its not controlling drone!!!! Then I removed all but a few apps from Note 5 to increase storage space. Works well for me.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Just bought Note 8 with large data (60g). Decided to keep note 5 and use hotspot off new phone. That way if someone rings while u are flying, its not controlling drone!!!! Then I removed all but a few apps from Note 5 to increase storage space. Works well for me.

Southozzie, I have the Note 8 and an older galaxy S7. I might just try what you are doing.

Whatever you end up with, once you find a Go 4 version that works for you keep a copy of it handy. Updates have been known to introduce problems.

What is the procedure to "keep a copy of it handy"?

Thank you.

What is the procedure to "keep a copy of it handy"?
I had to download Go 4 version 4.1.15 from a repository and install it. That install file is kept available for re-installation if the working copy gets corrupted or replaced by an unplanned update.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki