DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic combo, undecided what tablet to use - Ipad or samsung?

I was going round and round about this same issue and ended up with a Galaxy Tab S2. It fits the controller, has a bright screen, and was over $200 cheaper than an equivalent Mini4. I read about the PITA issues with startup but that's with GO 4. I'm planning on transitioning (fairly quickly) over to Litchi which appears to be more stable on Android. The issue with Android is that different manufacturers implement the OS differently so if your device doesn't respond as expected to something in the App code - and that particular incompatibility isn't handled properly - then everything goes nuts. According to Litchi: "As a general rule, Litchi supports most mid to high-end Android devices." which sounds like my Tab S2. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Reactions: Turn11 and locoman
For those that wonder why IOS tends to be more stable than Android. This is a good video that explains why it's harder for DJI to build an app that works on Android without issues. After some initial problems with my Moto G4, it has become quite reliable now. I did disable local video caching, but I'm a little short on internal flash right now.

The short of it is that Android is a much harder target to hit with all the manufactures hacking/customizing the OS. The closer to stock Android OS you are, the more likely you are to have success. The solution, use a non-famous branded Android device instead of an expensive one. Even more ideal, dedicate a device that only runs the Go app.

Apple exercises absolute control over the hardware and minimizes the number of versions that are out there. I'm not saying this is a good thing, just that it makes it easier on app development.

As most have mentioned here and on the advice of a DJI technician/troubleshooter I will only use Apple devices with DJI. It’s far more stable to fly on iOS than Android. As someone who works closely with Samsung devices it’s a shame that this is the case but alas it’s a small sacrifice to ensure trouble free flight.

Reactions: locoman
Not to be a fly in your ointment, but just lately there have been a lot of iOS devices that got hosed by an iOS update. I believe it is fixed now but it just shows that no system is immune to the software bugs that tend to crop up. I have a cheap, under-powered Samsung Tab A that originally was not on the DJI approved list but it works fine. Yes, it has had problems caused by updates but the combination installed on it now works great and it is locked down so it will not change.

Don't get me wrong, I am not an iDevice basher. I think they make great products. But going with them will not "ensure trouble free flight". In fact, before you do any flying other than purely recreational, test it before you need it. There have been too many cases where an update, planned or unplanned, has messed up the system.

Now go have fun!

Don't get me wrong, I am not an iDevice basher. I think they make great products. But going with them will not "ensure trouble free flight". In fact, before you do any flying other than purely recreational, test it before you need it. There have been too many cases where an update, planned or unplanned, has messed up the system.

As both an ios and Android developer, I can see the pitfalls of both OSes on a bit more "insider" level and can confirm that it's not all roses on ios side either. The myth that the app development for ios is more robust is just apple communist propaganda. Apple is still riding the mobile tsunami Steve Jobs created, but been slowly but surely rotting, and now is a chocolate covered apple with **** inside (no wonder it's 84th in the Glassdoor list of best companies to work for).

Uncountable number of times I would open my Xcode projects only to find out that apple - yet again - changed their API's beyond recognition and nothing compiles anymore, with hundreds of compilation errors and warnings. They became very ignorant and just spit on developers and their lovingly crafted code. And don't get me started on resolution/UI layout fragmentation... the only time it was great when the genius Steve introduced iphone 4 with retina, maintaining aspect ratio, just doubling resolution, so all that devs needed to do was make 2x-res image resources and include them in project, done! Now not only we have a bunch of weird aspect ratios, but... EARS. :D:D:D

Reactions: Afremont
Yeah, that cutout has got to be loads of fun to work around. Been a programmer for decades, but not an app developer. Not a fan of "modern" languages, more of a low level "C" without a safety net kinda guy.

Is DJI very open about the protocols and information being exchanged between the controller and the device?

I have had zero issues with my iPad 4 mini w/cellular, the only complaint is the screen brightness is not so great.

I use a Samsung Tab A Android 5.1 ($100.00) as an exclusive interface (go 4 only) with my MP. The tablet doesn't have phone capability which is fine with me. Note however - that I always have the tablet and controller fully charged before use since the tablet tries to charge via the controller cable.

I'm running an S8 and it works fine. No crashes. I own an iPad air 2,but so far have not had the need to try anything different. Ymmv. One of these days will try the bigger screen, but my phone works fine.

You all make great points for Android and IOS products. I have tried both and each seem to have advantages but because of the screen brightness issue, I bought a Crystalsky and never looked back. No more fumbling with the silly hoods. And now that you can use Litchi it makes the CS a great package. This is just my opinion and nothing else.

Cheers- Kleetus

My 2c....

Appel is an "American made" device..
DJI is not...
Samsung also not...

I got the mini 4 as an alternative big display/backup device, using a Xperia z5 as a more compact option/primary device.

Apple... Trouble every so often (specially after certain updates)
Xperia... Trouble every so often (specially after certain updates)

"They" say DJI developed their devices around apple devices. Even says something similar to that on the packaging, yet it almost always seems like the Android version of the app works a slight bit better and "looks" the better app. Yet that could only be due to the fact that I'm not a big IoS fan.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Hi all,
Question please about tablets,.. I was looking at a Huawei and noticed on the spec sheet this-
***GPS
Supports GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, and BDS.
Note: Kobe-W09C, Kobe-W09CHN do not support A-GPS.***

I know nothing about A-GPS and was wanting to see whether or not this should be a concern. Noob with a Mavic but been flying drones going on three years- just new to dji. The model I was considering matches the A-GPS. Any thoughts?

I use a Samsung Tab A Android 5.1 ($100.00) as an exclusive interface (go 4 only) with my MP. The tablet doesn't have phone capability which is fine with me. Note however - that I always have the tablet and controller fully charged before use since the tablet tries to charge via the controller cable.

Exactly what I have,.. how is the video reception when flying? Waiting on weather to break to try mine,.. any issues?

I'm surprised you're using the Go4. I plan to only use Litchi (installed, linked and seems to be fine as yet to fly). Litchi won't allow both apps on this device if I recall as I did RTFM.

Last edited:
I have ben using my Huawei MediaPad M3 8" for a few months now on both my Mavic Pro and Phantom 3 Adv. with no issues as of yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman