DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mavic Pro or Air?

im45us

Reactions
I can get a new Mavic Pro for $799 with a free backpack from Costco. Same price as the Air. Since price is the same which would you choose?

I have looked at specs and I am leaning to the Pro because of the controller more than anything but not really sure.

Thanks for the info

I had a Mavic Platinum and sold it. First one I got was defective and DJI replaced it. Second one still wasn't very impressive. My Spark takes better pictures. I sold it and have a Mavic Air coming. Other reasons I opted to get rid of the Mavic was the camera is extremely delicate.

I can get a new Mavic Pro for $799 with a free backpack from Costco. Same price as the Air. Since price is the same which would you choose?

I have looked at specs and I am leaning to the Pro because of the controller more than anything but not really sure.

Thanks for the info

What do you want to use a drone for? What's important to you?

They are two different drones, so your intent and feature-needs largely determine which is best for you.

Reactions: Omega Flight
If you need it for footage, get the Air. The Mavic Pro can get decent footage but it takes much more “work” to get the footage you want.

The only downside to the Air is the remote and WiFi-transmission system.

Thanks for the info
The beauty of Costco is they have one of the best return policies of any retailer. My vote is for the Pro, but as Microlinux said, it really depends on your needs and desires. If I were you I would get the Mavic from Costco, fly it for at least a month or so (90 day return policy) and if you don't absolutely love it, return it for a full refund. I would be surprised if you didn't love it. Just know that the Mavic Pro 2 will probably be out in a few months, but definitely by the end of the year, and that will blow away the original Mavic Pro.

Reactions: im45us
The only downside to the Air is the remote and WiFi-transmission system.

The Wi-Fi transmission system along is why it’s worth getting the Pro was very the Air. Once you have Ocusync you won’t go back.

If the range, flight time and the controllers were similar, I would probably get the Mavic Air. I know there is a MA SDK released, but I haven't heard if it will work with Litchi waypoint missions or not. Even so, the limited range and flight time of the MA tilt my choice to the MP since many of my missions are 6 to 8 miles in length.

So again, it is what you want to use it for. I bet for VLOS flying, video and pics, the MA will be fine for most. Also, the focusing of the MP's camera was a problem for me at first, but I have no problems with it now. Still, flying my P4 was thought free on focusing, just like the MA, so that may be an issue too if you don't want to deal with any focusing issues of the MP.

Reactions: nathanwms
Im in the same position deciding between the MP Platinum fly more bundle or MA fly more bundle. In the end i decided to go wait it out and see the pricing for the Mavic 2 when it arrives. I want the features of the Air but was concerned over wi-fi range and stability and judging from the few Air clips showing up on Youtube evenin optimal conditions in the wide open with little to no other wi-fi interference max range is just short of 2km so in built up areas i'm sure that would be dramatically and have seen one user who only reached 500mtr in built up area.
So for me hopefully the mavic 2 will have similar features as the Air with occusync. Obviously it''ll be considerably more expensive which means for me probably just getting the basic model and getting a couple extra batteries along the way.
Now I just have to wait!! not too long hopefully.

Reactions: ToddR
I've been droning since the P1 days, and I can tell you different strokes for different folks. I have the Pro but orderd the Air also. Don't listen to what anyone says about this DJI drone is better than that DJI drone. One thing I've noticed from DJI is that they never stop innovating.

For me, I'm not after the best cinematic shots. I'd rather just setup, fly and go. I plan to use the Air mainly to film my family on vacations. The added small form factor, rear obstacle avoidance, and hand gesture modes, new flight modes make it the ideal fast setup family drone, at the moment, for me. It's also fixed focus so you dont have to focus peck like the Pro. I also build racing drones and like the fact the Air is faster and more agile.

The Pro is an awesome bird too. If you plan on making great cinematic shots, get it. If your passion is going into post-process and making a movie, go mavic Pro. If flying long distances, exploring is your thing, get a pro.

Also, don't listen to any of the mumbo jumbo about the wifi being bad, no ones really done a review on it yet. I'm willing to bet DJI innovated on the wifi too. Albeit its not Occusync marathon distance, I doubt its like P2 Vision wifi either.

What do you want to use a drone for? What's important to you?

They are two different drones, so your intent and feature-needs largely determine which is best for you.[/QU

My wife will be the primary user. Mostly photos and some video. We live 1 mile from the ocean and like to spend weekends in the New Hampshire white mountain area and that is 2 places we will use the drone. We both have real cameras but are amateur photographers and the drone will be a new part of our hobby.

I had a Mavic Platinum and sold it. First one I got was defective and DJI replaced it. Second one still wasn't very impressive. My Spark takes better pictures. I sold it and have a Mavic Air coming. Other reasons I opted to get rid of the Mavic was the camera is extremely delicate.

The pro is not a point and shoot selfie drone, that will be why.

If your Spark takes better pics than your MP, then something is wrong.

I ended up getting the Pro at Costco. I have 3 months to decide and will not lose a fortune.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31