DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Member Confirming Research

WNYBill

Reactions
New member and I have been researching drones. I have watched the "DJI MINI 3 Pro Beginners guide on YouTube". Now I need real time experience from real people.
Looking for something simple to fly with a mile range and 30 minute flight time. Going to use for recreation and in a family outdoor blog.
Something that will take decent stills and video. Did I say, easy to fly and self-contained. I have narrowed it down to a DJI Mini 3 Pro with a RC control. Don't want to use my phone. Am I on the right track? Or is there something else I should look at? I am over the top in my budget. But........ Buy once, cry once!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4006448
Hi and welcome! The Mini 3 Pro will not work with the RC2. Mini 3 Pro works with the older generation of remote controls (DJI RC, RC Pro, RC-N1 (no screen, connects to phone)) RC2 works with Mini 4 Pro and Air 3 only. If you were looking to spend less, I'd say the Mini 3 Pro is fine. But since you say buy once cry once, I'd recommend starting with the Mini 4 Pro. The Mini 4 Pro will give you omnidirectional obstacle avoidance ActiveTrack 360, and further range with OcuSync 4.

If you're new to the hobby you'll want to review the requirements and take the TRUST before you start flying:

If there is a chance you'll be using the bigger batteries with whichever aircraft you get, the drone may end up weighing more than 249 grams and you'll need to register on the FAA Drone Zone here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/register_drone

Also if your outdoor blog is monetized (even if just supported by ads), you'll want to look into getting a Part 107 commercial license: https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/become_a_drone_pilot

If you are just flying recreational and your blog is just for fun, you might not need the Part 107. Welcome again, and good luck on whatever you choose. Have fun and be safe!

have watched the "DJI MINI 3 Pro Beginners guide on YouTube".
The Mini 3 PRO is a NICE drone BUT its not very handy in the wind.
Looking for something simple to fly with a mile range and 30 minute flight time.
All of DJI's drones are actually simple to fly SO your choice of drone is pretty much unlimited. A mile is no problem for the drone AS LONG as its no problem for your eyesite.
I have narrowed it down to a DJI Mini 3 Pro with a RC2 control.
The RC2 only works with the Air3 and MINI 4. There are screened controllers for the MINI 3 PRO BUT you are limiting yourself to that small screen when flying NO support for an Ipad display. Unless you purchase the black RC PRO.

Read up more on 'obstacle avoidance' and its limitations so that you don't fall prey to its weaknesses. Realistic battery time is another topic to fully understand, especially as to what can use up battery time quickly.
Good luck!

Reactions: Paint Rock Drones
New member and I have been researching drones. I have watched the "DJI MINI 3 Pro Beginners guide on YouTube". Now I need real time experience from real people.
Looking for something simple to fly with a mile range and 30 minute flight time. Going to use for recreation and in a family outdoor blog.
Something that will take decent stills and video. Did I say, easy to fly and self-contained. I have narrowed it down to a DJI Mini 3 Pro with a RC2 control. Don't want to use my phone. Am I on the right track? Or is there something else I should look at? I am over the top in my budget. But........ Buy once, cry once!
A couple of things.

First, you can't fly that out a mile. That would be illegal. You are legally required to keep you drone in sight while you fly. You won't be able to see at that far away.

Second, if you can swing it, get the Mini 4 Pro instead. Both are good drones (I fly both for my business), but the Mini 4 Pro is better. At least as far as camera settings go.

I only use my Minis for operations over people with my waiver, and for areas where I need to fly a smaller craft.

Either way, you'll be happy with either the Mini 3 Pro, or the Mini 4 Pro. However, if you choose the Mini 4 Pro, it won't broadcast RID with the smaller batteries. Just something to keep in mind.

Also, @pilotinstitute has a couple of free Deep Dive videos on each of those drones. Greg does a great job on both of those videos.

Mini 3 Pro: DJI Mini 3 Pro Deep Dive - Pilot Institute
Mini 4 Pro: DJI Mini 4 Pro Deep Dive - Pilot Institute

Hey @Vic Moss, does your waiver allow flight without prop cages over people? If so, how did you get that, or what hoops do you have to jump through for such flights?

Hey @Vic Moss, does your waiver allow flight without prop cages over people? If so, how did you get that, or what hoops do you have to jump through for such flights?
No, prop cages are required.

The FAA waiver office is in a process of changing OOP waiver approval policy. Once that happens, we will be sharing more information.

Thank you all for being patient with me.

I am looking at DJI Mini 3 Pro (Refurbished Unit). The Mini 3 does not have obstacle avoidance, but the Mini 3 pro does. I don't understand the difference in obstacle avoidance between the Mini 3 Pro and the Mini 4. My understanding they both can be set at a constant elevation and if you try to fly it into a tree or building, they both will avoid it, same with crashing into the ground. Can someone give me a simple explanation of the difference? I am old, slow and tech challenged.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Greetings, and welcome to the forum, from Chicago the Windy City.
FLY SAFE & FLY SMART ALSO FLY LEGALLY.

Thank you all for being patient with me.

I am looking at DJI Mini 3 Pro (Refurbished Unit). The Mini 3 does not have obstacle avoidance, but the Mini 3 pro does. I don't understand the difference in obstacle avoidance between the Mini 3 Pro and the Mini 4. My understanding they both can be set at a constant elevation and if you try to fly it into a tree or building, they both will avoid it, same with crashing into the ground. Can someone give me a simple explanation of the difference? I am old, slow and tech challenged.
If you try hard enough to fly into a tree, you will succeed! :) :)

Mini 3 Pro has 360 degree obstacle avoidance (front/back/left/right). Nothing facing up. If you are under a tree and try to go up you can go right into a set of leafs. (ask me how I know this!) From what I understand about the Mini 4 Pro you have omnidirectional which means you get some obstacle avoidance above as well.

No, prop cages are required.

The FAA waiver office is in a process of changing OOP waiver approval policy. Once that happens, we will be sharing more information.

Looking forward to it. Our friends in the EU, even with their labyrinthine drone regulations, are more reasonable about some OOP flight, like transits, particularly for the sub-250g class.

If you try hard enough to fly into a tree, you will succeed! :) :)

Mini 3 Pro has 360 degree obstacle avoidance (front/back/left/right).

THIS IS INCORRECT.

The Mini 3 Pro has forward and backward OA. It is completely blind to the left, right, and directly overhead.

From what I understand about the Mini 4 Pro you have omnidirectional which means you get some obstacle avoidance above as well.

Yes, the Mini 4 Pro is full 360° spherical sensing, and can react to obstacles from any direction, provided it can detect it.

My understanding they both can be set at a constant elevation and if you try to fly it into a tree or building, they both will avoid it, same with crashing into the ground. Can someone give me a simple explanation of the difference?

Drones are omnidirectional aircraft. The main camera is what gives it a "front", and a sense of forward/reverse.

The 3 has OA cameras facing forward and backward. There are no cameras looking left and right. Consequently, when moving sideways ("roll" L/R) , the drone is blind, and can slam into anything in the way at full speed. Automatic avoidance only works flying forward or back.

The Mini 4 Pro by contrast replaces the 4 OA cameras on the Mini 3P with full 180° wide angle units mounted on the 45° diagonal, so any two cameras together can provide a full view in the 4 ordinal directions, as well as all 4 combining to give a vertical view above.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown