DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New member from Cardiff, UK

Andreipala

Reactions
After a very long debate with myself I've finally purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom. Tried it out early morning on the seaside as well as over Bute Park for some quick shots. Also got Civil Aviation Authority registration but I have to say;

After spending the last couple day reading about where you can and where you cant fly, I'm left disgusted with all of this. No parks, no national parks, no beaches, no nothing without being on the wrong side of some (by) law.

What was a very exciting beginning, thinking I could finally start creating the content I always dreamed of and share it with the likes on YouTube and social media, rapidly turned into... I'd rather refund this and move on with the mundane restricted life we've been put into.

After a very long debate with myself I've finally purchased a Mavic 2 Zoom. Tried it out early morning on the seaside as well as over Bute Park for some quick shots. Also got Civil Aviation Authority registration but I have to say;

After spending the last couple day reading about where you can and where you cant fly, I'm left disgusted with all of this. No parks, no national parks, no beaches, no nothing without being on the wrong side of some (by) law.

What was a very exciting beginning, thinking I could finally start creating the content I always dreamed of and share it with the likes on YouTube and social media, rapidly turned into... I'd rather refund this and move on with the mundane restricted life we've been put into.
welcome to the forum, there are many many places to fly in Wales you just have to travel to find them

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, it seems like the hobby is being hobbled more and more as time progresses.
Still, you will find places to fly.
Not sure why beaches there are off limits ?
Perhaps busy beaches with the 50m rule, but surely isolated beaches are more appealing for their landscapes and lack of people in view.

If things get really bad, I predict a mass exodus away form DJI style drones.
Perhaps FPV racing aircraft will become more sought after, and just forget all the local bylaws, go find a building site / forest / big rock formation, and knock yourself out.

Now get out there and film something :) ;)

I have a holiday home in Borth near Aberystwyth (Holiday home read static caravan) and I fly on the beaches there abouts all the time. Never had a problem, never seen a sign saying no drones. Looked on every app I can think of and perfectly alright to fly on the beaches as long as you don't fly within 50 metres of people. About 5 miles out to sea in Cardigan bay, there is a designated danger area but it's nowhere near the beach. The RAF conduct high frequency radio transmissions out there from time to time, there's always a MOTAM when they are there... Some parts of Wales the RAF conduct low flying exercises you have to watch out for these. I'm thinking in particular the Mack Loop. See RAF low flying timetable for details. Google is your friend.... It might be a bit different around Cardiff, There's an airport there, you might have to jump in the car and drive a few miles to fly... No biggie.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

What do you guys think about posting some of the filmed content online, say its views from National Parks?!

We have a section for videos and photos you should check
out.
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Hello I used to live in Cardiff. moved to Raglan so not too far from you Andre.
I fhave a PPL an fly light aircraft more than I fly Drones so whilst I understand the need for safety related regulation, newer regulation is getting to be more Financialy driven with training organisations being given more business by the simple method of making new rules and restrictions paving the way for getting rid of the casual user.
There wont be much of a Hobby community soon......which is probably a good thing as far too many Idiots are evidently flying at high altitudes and beyond visual range.
A shame for the few who do things properly.

Reactions: Andreipala

Welcome to the forum. I don't know how much you travel but maybe look at those options. I'm not sure if you are banned outright or whether you just need permission. can't hurt to ask.

Reactions: old man mavic

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new M2Z, Fly safe and have fun!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J