DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New member, Have not purchased DJI unit yet....

Js415

Reactions
Hello from Middle Georgia.

I have been flying a Yuneec Q500 4k and a Yuneec Mantis q for a few years now. I have finally decided it is time to step up and spend some money on a nice DJI model.

I originally started looking at a Mavic Air, thinking it would suit my needs. That led to me then looking at a Mavic Pro Platinum, due to the reviews I have read online.

Now I'm seeing some talk that it might be better to spend a few more dollars for one of the Mavic 2 models.

I'm confused as all get out!!!

I want really good videos and pictures, but I'm not a pro photographer.

Flight time is important, so that makes me think the Platinum is the way to go.

Maybe the Air will be just fine, but I have heard issues of noise and short flight times.

Should I spend more money and get a Mavic 2 model so I can upgrade in the future to a smart controller?

I really only want to spend the money once, so I'm looking for real world advice.

Thanks for any help you folks can pass along.

Jerry

All I can say is I went with the MP when it came out then the M2P when it did and wouldn’t trade em for none of the others. More money but was worth it to me.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

As far as what drone to get....
For all round use I favor the M2P and am happy with the Hasselblad camera and variable aperture.
If the SC is not an issue the Pro is a great bird... loved mine. I love the SC idea and implementation, except for the smaller screen size. I currently fly with a 7.85” CS, but I’d love to skip all the setup that anything other than a CS requires, but I am personally not willing to give up the larger screen.
Here’s a link to the FULL 70 page DJI manual for the M2P, only available online, and way more than the 5-6 pages in the M2P package.
Below is the FULL DJI manual for the MPP to help you decide. It just says “pro”, but it’s for the MPP also.

Best of luck!

I have been flying a Yuneec Q500 4k and a Yuneec Mantis q for a few years now. I have finally decided it is time to step up and spend some money on a nice DJI model.

I originally started looking at a Mavic Air, thinking it would suit my needs. That led to me then looking at a Mavic Pro Platinum, due to the reviews I have read online.

Now I'm seeing some talk that it might be better to spend a few more dollars for one of the Mavic 2 models.

Maybe the Air will be just fine, but I have heard issues of noise and short flight times.

Should I spend more money and get a Mavic 2 model so I can upgrade in the future to a smart controller?

I really only want to spend the money once, so I'm looking for real world advice.

Jerry
Don’t get the Mavic Air. It’s persnickety

Welcome to the forum :)

I run a Mavic Platinum just about every day of the week and that's working for clients from John Blow to High End clients. While there are better cameras on the market nothing we currently do justifies the added expense and complexity of the higher end systems.

That doesn't mean I don't WANT one of the newer system (I really like the Hasselblad camera) but as long as my MPP does everything I need and we're still making $$ with it I can't justify the upgrade... YET!!

You won't go wrong with any of the picks between MP, MPP and MP2. Outstanding platforms. I went through your same decision process and ended up with a Mavic Pro. Whatever battery time you get, it won't be enough and it's good to take a break and install a fresh battery. You can get a used turn-key MP system for about $750. Never regretted my choice after nearly 90 flights and 12 hours in the air.

Lot's to learn, but that's part of the fun. This is a great forum with a lot of experts (I'm not one of them). Welcome to Mavic's and this site.

I went through your same decision process and ended up with a Mavic Pro.

I love my MP too, really like the M2P added benefits, but see no reason to change as yet.

Fitting the 8331 props has made the MP a real pleasure to fly, noticably quieter, could give a fraction longer flight time, but that is so variable it's hard to measure for sure.
I'd say I can get 25 mins no problems sometimes and be within a reasonable safety margin on the battery, maybe 10%, but usually happy to land with 20% reserve power.
That all varies too depending on weather / wind conditions and any extra risks where I am flying (over the ocean is one of those locations).

We welcome you to the Forum Js415

It is a tough decision . . . one you'll have to make alone. All we can do is give you our best recommendations to follow.

The Air is a fabulous aircraft. As said in the prior comments, either of the Mavic Pros are best.

If you want to become a photographer (or interested in it) probably the M2P. If you are going to take video such as sunrises/sunsets, Panoramas' or time lapses . . . once again you'll need time in the air to process the footage and the MP's will give you that needed time.

So it is probably the MP series you want. The only advantages of the M2P over its predecessors is OcuSync 2 and the 1" sensor for night photography. Tough decision . . . make it a good one.

I have a Mavic Pro & a Mavic Pro 2, I now only fly the Pro if I run out of battery's for the Pro 2. That sort of says it all.
My backpack holds both but the Pro 2 is the go to every time.

I would say if you only want to spend once go for the Pro 2 but in the end it's up to you.

I'm a novice but figured I'd get the state of the art tech: M2P and SC. My only limitation is myself. Wanted to minimize the odds of beginner mistakes. I had used the P4P with iPad mini, controller, and sun shade. Seemed like awkward retro technology. The SC is an ergonomically designed unit with beautiful display, even in bright sun. It's a pleasure to use.

Don’t get the Mavic Air. It’s persnickety
I learned a new word ? And Bret, stop hating the MA so much, it is not good for you :p Having said that, if budget is not an issue the MP2 is the one to get. But the MA is still a fabulous little drone full of wonders. My only dissatisfaction with it is with it's limited time in the air.

Welcome to the forums, @Js415.

I have a Mavic Pro with the standard RC and a 5th generation, 9.7” iPad. I get ~20 minutes of flight time per battery and I have three batteries for this aircraft. I’ve had issues with DJI GO 4 freezing while flying a Phantom 4 Pro but I’ve experienced no major issues thus far with either the Mavic Pro, controller, or DJI GO 4. The camera on the Mavic Pro is good enough for what I do but most of the hardcore photographer types here prefer a better camera such as what’s offered on the M2P.

Jerry
Hey Jerry, first off Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! I also have the MP and M2P, the M2P is worth the extra money if you can afford it, if not the MPP will do just fine. Fly safe and have fun!

Reactions: Thomas B
If you have the money then spring for the M2P, I didn’t and went with the MPP and I love it.

Reactions: BigAl07

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000