DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New member here on The Crystal Coast.

By-tor

Reactions
Hello,

I'm new and looking into purchasing my first Drone (4 prop thing), but have been flying RC Sailplanes since the 70s. I live in Cape Carteret and don't think I could live in a worse area to fly drones.

What is a good app to use for this information?

By looking at the OpenSky app I feel I live in one giant no fly zone.

Anyone in this area have any advice on where to fly?

Thanks
Mark

Hello,

I'm new and looking into purchasing my first Drone (4 prop thing), but have been flying RC Sailplanes since the 70s. I live in Cape Carteret and don't think I could live in a worse area to fly drones.

What is a good app to use for this information?

By looking at the OpenSky app I feel I live in one giant no fly zone.

Anyone in this area have any advice on where to fly?

Thanks
Mark
I used B4UFLY and looked you up. Between that and an app called AirMap you are in a Class d low altitude area all around you. The marine corp base doesn't help either :) You can get a LAANC but it looks like most of the area is 100 200 elevation restrictions with some at 400
Looks like you can get out of it around bear creek and up to Maysville. But you are really close to camp lajune and cherry point.
IMG_4114.PNGIMG_4115.PNG

By-tor, welcome to the forum, from Hauptmann, in North Texas!

You'll love the flexibility of vantage points an aerial camera platform affords--you'll get shots and videos you could only dream of before! I fly a Mavic 2 Pro now, but will soon be upgrading to the Mini 3 Pro.

Nobody but the FAA can declare a "No-FLy Zone". Even so, A drone pilot can obtain permission to fly within "No-Fly Zones" thru LAANC, an easy-to-use FAA utility set up for drone pilots like us! The link is below:

We have over 150,000 members who enjoy helping each other get the most out of our hobby. Most of the questions you'll have have already been addressed, and are easy to search. If you have NEW questions, just ask!

Glad to have you with us!

Rich R (aka Hauptmann)

Thank you both for posting.. I was looking at getting the Mini 3 (not pro) as my first drone mostly due to the RC controller.

I was reading through the LAANC site and it says you have to register the drone. Does that also apply to a drone under 250g?
I'm guessing you have to ask for permission every time before you can fly..

The Marine Corps Bogue auxiliary air field is about 2 miles away as the crow fly's, but is not used all the time and you can't miss seeing and hearing it when it is in use.

Thanks again
Mark

…I was reading through the LAANC site and it says you have to register the drone. Does that also apply to a drone under 250g?
I'm guessing you have to ask for permission every time before you can fly…
Under 250g drones do not need to be registered for recreational flying. If a high capacity batt puts it over 250g it should be registered. Five bucks, & label the drone.

Asking for permission couldn’t be simpler once you’ve done it a couple times. Input flight info on a phone app, receive clearance via an automated text a couple minutes later.

Reactions: By-tor
Reading through just the state rules on flying drones is very depressing. All these rules/laws are a huge turn off to even wanting to purchase a drone.

I see so many wonderful inflight video's online and now wonder if any of that is possible in my area. Even the public/state parks are off limits...

Maybe I'm just reading to much into this...

Camp LeJeune sure generates a lot of prohibited airspace!

Nearer to the center of Cape Carteret, there is a lot of 200’ and 400’ AGL airspace with LAANC clearance. As a photographer/videographer, I find the most interesting altitudes at less than 200’. Every day that I have students flying I have to get LAANC clearance, my campus is near enough to a large airport.

It’s true that there are multiple state and fed agencies’ regs impacting drone flying. It’s also true that there is a lot to learn if one wishes. On the other hand, once you figure out your LAANC clearances and local flying areas it gets pretty easy on a day-to-day basis.

250g and below - no need to register the drone, but you can, and it’s easy and costs $5. You do need to take the TRUST training/exam. It will take you about 40 minutes online, plus/minus, is free, and reviews the safety and regulations basics. That’s enough for most recreational flyers.

I see the LAANC statement you’re concerned about on this page:

I agree that’s how it reads, but as I understand the regs it is incorrect. It should read (to use LAANC as recreational pilot) “… you must register your drone (if 250g or over)…”

Pt. 107 pilots are different. All their drones must be registered, including those under 250g.

There are many sources of guidance. Typically the faa.gov website is the best, so I’m surprised at what you found. If you’re concerned a quick email to [email protected] may clear it up.

Attachments

• 01179A66-CCC3-4B8C-BFAF-17AA1FEF5476.png
    01179A66-CCC3-4B8C-BFAF-17AA1FEF5476.png
    1 MB · Views: 4
I agree there is a lot I need to learn about all of this and plan on taking TRUST training later tonight.

What APP did you use for that attachment that shows all the altitudes?

I really appreciate your time in helping me give this part of the hobby a try.

Mark

…What APP did you use for that attachment that shows all the altitudes?…
Like @MA2 317 I use Airmap - that’s what the screencap image was from.

Typically I use a combination of B4UFly and Airmap. B4 gets me the general area, and Airmap to request LAANC clearances. It’s always come through with a clearance in less than 3 minutes.

On the other hand, you don’t have to go far to be outside the restricted airspace, and you might want to find such an outside spot for your first few flights. It can be a lot to juggle when just getting started.

Where do you fly RC sailplanes? There’s a park near me that allows RC cars, planes, etc., and now drones too.

Reactions: MA2 317
Like @MA2 317 I use Airmap - that’s what the screencap image was from.

Typically I use a combination of B4UFly and Airmap. B4 gets me the general area, and Airmap to request LAANC clearances. It’s always come through with a clearance in less than 3 minutes.

On the other hand, you don’t have to go far to be outside the restricted airspace, and you might want to find such an outside spot for your first few flights. It can be a lot to juggle when just getting started.

Where do you fly RC sailplanes? There’s a park near me that allows RC cars, planes, etc., and now drones too.

Can you request clearance through an app or is it only from the website? Do they send you an email?

My house is in one of the 0' boxes on the airmap app, but next to two 400' boxes. Starting out under 200' or 400' would be ok as a ceiling at first. I also have a large ball field area only a couple min. away and could use that when not being used for sports. Also a couple of schools in Swansboro, just down the road.

The last time I flew my sailplanes was 6 years ago in what is now a 200' box (not sure that was in effect then), but I would hit 300' to 400' on launch and start searching for thermals from there and have been carried up to 2000'+ from there. I have thought about getting back into it, but the video and pictures coming from these drones is amazing.

With that said if I went outside before loading the planes up and heard any aircraft I would not go and if I showed up at the field and heard them I wouldn't put anything in the air. Mainly they were AV-8 harriers and you can't not hear them for miles...

Thanks again

Can you request clearance through an app or is it only from the website? Do they send you an email?…
I most often use the (edit: Airmap) app, the result is both a text and an email with the clearance.

Drones have a ceiling of 400’ AGL in the US.

Last edited:
I most often use the app, the result is both a text and an email with the clearance.

Drones have a ceiling of 400’ AGL in the US.

Sorry, but what app. to get clearance? I now have a lot more app's on my phone.

Yeah 400' is now the norm, but way to low for sailplanes...

Thanks

Sorry, but what app. to get clearance? I now have a lot more app's on my phone.

Yeah 400' is now the norm, but way to low for sailplanes...

Thanks
Sorry, I meant to say the Airmap app for LAANC clearance. There are a number of free apps, when I researched them a few years ago Airmap seemed the most straightforward.

TY

I have my TRUST certificate..

Reactions: SethB
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Distantdoc