DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New member looking for some advice

When you turn everything on what errors do you get If your drone shows you a 40012 error then the IMU will need to be replaced.
Yes, I get the 40012, 30050, 30047 errors. Also get a couple of GPS/gyro related errors, I'm guessing that's because I'm in doors. Could you elaborate more on the 40012 error, I can't remember the exact wording, but it has something to do with the gimbal not connecting.

Code 40021: Gimbal IMU data error. From the DJI error book It basically means it is an error internal to the board ( the drone cant see it) DJI's answer for this is ..Replace component. If you are certain that the cables are seated firmly on the board and you cannot calibrate without getting errors or it just wont do it ...Replace the unit. 30050 is the calibration needed notice and 30047 is the Barometer ( that will show with other errors)

Sorry BUT the 40012 error is a bad gimble board.
Code 40012: Gimbal unable to connect. Repairs required. Contact DJI
Support for assistance. Need to replace the gimbal.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoodHippie
Code 40021: Gimbal IMU data error. From the DJI error book It basically means it is an error internal to the board ( the drone cant see it) DJI's answer for this is ..Replace component. If you are certain that the cables are seated firmly on the board and you cannot calibrate without getting errors or it just wont do it ...Replace the unit. 30050 is the calibration needed notice and 30047 is the Barometer ( that will show with other errors)

Sorry BUT the 40012 error is a bad gimble board.
Code 40012: Gimbal unable to connect. Repairs required. Contact DJI
Support for assistance. Need to replace the gimbal.
Thanks for that info. I was also thinking of replacing the GPS board at the same time. When I was checking the GPS, the ceramic antenna part (I guess it's ceramic) looked discolored like it had been hot. I've never had a GPS unit get hot, at least not the ones I've used. Anyway, a GPS board with IMU on Ebay is only a few more bucks (55$)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
Thanks for that info. I was also thinking of replacing the GPS board at the same time. When I was checking the GPS, the ceramic antenna part (I guess it's ceramic) looked discolored like it had been hot. I've never had a GPS unit get hot, at least not the ones I've used. Anyway, a GPS board with IMU on Ebay is only a few more bucks (55$)

It's likely that some of the error messages you see are symptoms of a problem, rather than indicating the cause of the issue.
For example the messages sugesting recalibration of components are just indications that there is no connection to those components.
If you can make a screenshot of the error messages that might help understand the situation better.
Something like this ...
i-vsWmTdt-X2.jpg

It's likely that some of the error messages you see are symptoms of a problem, rather than indicating the cause of the issue.
For example the messages sugesting recalibration of components are just indications that there is no connection to those components.
If you can make a screenshot of the error messages that might help understand the situation better.
Something like this ...
i-vsWmTdt-X2.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240929_212729.jpg
    Screenshot_20240929_212729.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 10
Yes .. those messages are indicating that the connections to those components is the issue, not necessarily the components themselves.
DJI's message wording can be misleading.

Last edited:
Yes .. those messages are indicating that the connections to those components is the issue, not necessarily the components themselves.
When I took the drone apart, I cleaned the connections with some electrical cleaner and a brush. Made sure all the cables clicked back into place properly. Thats about all I can do for that.

When I was checking the GPS, the ceramic antenna part (I guess it's ceramic) looked discolored like it had been hot
From my memory of other drones, that did not have GPS problems, the, what I think is the GPS units had brown circular marks on their top surfaces.
Look closely at any air 2s dismantling videos they you can find for comparison.

Unfortunately the big problem with diy repairs is that you frequently end up guessing what part is at fault and buying a replacement only to find that your guess was wrong.
That can quickly cause repair costs to mount, be careful, and give some thought to sending it in for repair if your first guess isn't correct.

Unfortunately the big problem with diy repairs is that you frequently end up guessing what part is at fault and buying a replacement only to find that your guess was wrong.
That can quickly cause repair costs to mount, be careful, and give some thought to sending it in for repair if your first guess isn't correct.
I hear ya, replacing parts until you find the problem is not the best way to do things. I guess I'll take a chance on it though. Ordered a GPS/IMU board off Ebay (62$). If that doesn't work, I doubt if I'll go any further with it. Will probably end up back on Ebay.

An alternative approach would be to buy a wrecked drone, cracked or broken shell or arms etc., but with which everything works correctly then either canniblise that drone for parts or put its innards into the shell of your existing drone.
I did the latter with a bought-wrecked mini 2.

Last edited:
An alternative approach would be to but a wrecked drone, cracked or broken shell or arms etc. but with which everything works correctly then either canniblise that for parts or put its innards into the shell of your existing drone.
I did the latter with a bought-wrecked mini 2.
That is a good option. I've done that with an old Mavic Pro that I've got. What I'd really like is a Air3 with the RC2 controller. Can't swing it right now though. Maybe they'll put them on sale, or I'll hit the lottery.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Reactions: sarahb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
XANNA1976@HOTMAIL-COM