DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Mini in Michigan

Wild Wayne

Reactions
Hello, my name is Wayne. I live in northern lower Michigan. I recently purchased a Mavic Mini. This is my first drone. So far I’m happy with my decision. I have decades of gaming experience however I have never flown a drone. It seems very user friendly. I’ve flown the Mini a few times and feel like I have control over the basic flight functions.

I’ve made mistakes. I keep forgetting to record video. The biggest mistake so far... Not securing Care Refresh within the 48 hours. DJI is strick about the time. I was only a few hours past the deadline. I can’t decide whether or not I’m going to do the ‘proof of life’ video.

Cold climate question(s). What is the downside to flying in below 0 °C / 32 °F temperatures? What is the coldest temperature you would fly your drone?

I have found this forum very helpful. Thank you!!

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Hello, my name is Wayne. I live in northern lower Michigan. I recently purchased a Mavic Mini. This is my first drone. So far I’m happy with my decision. I have decades of gaming experience however I have never flown a drone. It seems very user friendly. I’ve flown the Mini a few times and feel like I have control over the basic flight functions.

I’ve made mistakes. I keep forgetting to record video. The biggest mistake so far... Not securing Care Refresh within the 48 hours. DJI is strick about the time. I was only a few hours past the deadline. I can’t decide whether or not I’m going to do the ‘proof of life’ video.

Cold climate question(s). What is the downside to flying in below 0 °C / 32 °F temperatures? What is the coldest temperature you would fly your drone?

I have found this forum very helpful. Thank you!!
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton, Ohio! I usually limit my flying to 25 Degrees F if I can. Enjoy your new Mavic Mini, Fly safe and have fun!

Welcome Wild Wayne . . . cold weather freezes the battery causing the percentage remaining to drop dramatically. The power is there but cannot be accessed because of frigid temperatures. During flight you may show 80% battery left and the next 60 seconds it (will) drop to critical and possibly land your bird where it is. If you fly, warm the battery first and stay within VLOS (and away from bodies of water).

Hope this helps . . . looking forward to seeing some of those photos.

Reactions: Wild Wayne
Welcome Wild Wayne . . . cold weather freezes the battery causing the percentage remaining to drop dramatically. The power is there but cannot be accessed because of frigid temperatures. During flight you may show 80% battery left and the next 60 seconds it (will) drop to critical and possibly land your bird where it is. If you fly, warm the battery first and stay within VLOS (and away from bodies of water).

Hope this helps . . . looking forward to seeing some of those photos.
Thank you! I flew 1 flight over a freshly frozen lake yesterday afternoon. It was 20 °F. lite breeze. I started with a fully charged battery. 4:50 into the flight the log shows 80% battery life. 10:31 60% battery life. 14:38 45%. This was my predetermined landing number. Touch down 16:09 40% battery life. I limited my altitude to 30 m and my distance to 130 m. All in all I’m really happy with how it performed.
I watched a few videos about flying in cold temps so I was prepared for the battery level drop. Of course I had no idea when it was going to happen…

Last edited:
Thank you! I flew 1 flight over a freshly frozen lake yesterday afternoon. It was 20 °F. lite breeze. I started with a fully charged battery. 4:50 into the flight the log shows 80% battery life. 10:31 60% battery life. 14:38 45%. This was my predetermined landing number. Touch down 16:09 40% battery life. I limited my altitude to 30 m and my distance to 130 m. All in all I’m really happy with how it performed.
I watched a few videos about flying in cold temps so I was prepared for the battery level drop. Of course I had no idea when it was going to happen…
Good job Wayne . . . that's how its done. Mindful of the flying conditions and aware of the birds performance envelope. We'd love to see some photos/videos (if you remembered to hit 'record') ;) . . . nicely done! You are going to be a valuable member.

Good job Wayne . . . that's how its done. Mindful of the flying conditions and aware of the birds performance envelope. We'd love to see some photos/videos (if you remembered to hit 'record') ;) . . . nicely done! You are going to be a valuable member.
Thank you! Any info is greatly appreciated! Even tough love...?

My plan is to only take one flight and use the same (#3) battery every time for below 32 °F flights. I’m not sure if this is necessary but I wanna see how the cold affects the battery.

Here’s some video of the 20 °F flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929