DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New owner, lots of questions!

hallmr09

Reactions
Hi all, I just pulled the trigger and bought a Mavic Air! It'll be my first expensive drone (my previous one was around $100) and I'm really excited to start flying and capturing some amazing videos. However, I have a few reservations about it still and would like some input from you experienced folks.

I'm living in a suburb outside of Chicago, and from what I understand they don't allow drone flying within their parks. There are only a couple of legal places to fly in their parks and you have to pay a fee. So, those of you who live in a densely populated area, where do you fly? We're not living downtown by any means, so if I take off from my home and fly around is it really a big deal (as long as I have notified airports within 5 miles of course, not fly directly over people, etc)? Any advice is appreciated!

Also, I have a question regarding calling and notifying airports of your flights. I download Airmap and have been looking at it and noticed that they have you the phone number of all the airports nearby. Do I really have to call every tiny airport? When I call, what information do I have to tell them besides flight altitude? Is there some minimum altitude where I don't have to call the airports? If my max altitude is going to be like 20-30 feet (which it probably will be while I get used to the drone), do I need to notify them?

Sorry for the wall of questions, I just feel like the regulations surrounding drones are very unclear still. Thanks for your help!

Welcome to Mavicpilots. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

So, those of you who live in a densely populated area, where do you fly?

Find an area outside the NFZ or populated areas to go. It could be just a few minutes from you. O'Hare would probably not be a good place :)

Do I really have to call every tiny airport?

Legally, yes.

When I call, what information do I have to tell them besides flight altitude?

Tell them where you are located.

Is there some minimum altitude where I don't have to call the airports? If my max altitude is going to be like 20-30 feet (which it probably will be while I get used to the drone), do I need to notify them?

If you are within 5 miles of an airport, you have to call.

Welcome to Mavicpilots. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Find an area outside the NFZ or populated areas to go. It could be just a few minutes from you. O'Hare would probably not be a good place :)

Legally, yes.

Tell them where you are located.

If you are within 5 miles of an airport, you have to call.

Thanks Thunderdrones! I'm luckily outside of the 5 mile O'Hare radius. Thanks for the tips!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123