DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot advice

Thanks for the tip! This is very helpful. So anything inside of the X (center box) will be in the AC’s path. Ex. Flying toward a tree. It’s within center grid box. Move AC slightly left or right putting tree in any of the outer boxes will fly the AC close but make no contact. Is this correct?
Yes. Things that are far away will certainly be in the center box, but as you get closer, they will move to the outer box areas. If they don't, and remain in the center box, then you need to take action to avoid them.

Here is an example video using the technique. The video clips have been reversed for "effect", but you can get an idea of how close you can come. The real close sequences are about 50 seconds into the video.

Reactions: Ron Boger
For those of you who have been flying for a while, what do you suggest as the best way learning to visualize your drone in flight? Should I focus more on the drone itself or should I focus more on the controller and screen? I am keeping my mini within VLOS yet flew it into some tree branches in my yard while watching the drone & not the screen. I’m afraid I’ll do that once I start venturing out perhaps over water or at a higher altitude.
As with all things, practice practice practice. If you are flying around a open area the VLOS is practical and you will do little screen time. however in the real world VLOS is a fallacy as most pilots fly in diverse scenic areas full of trees, valleys or large structures and VLOS is not possible so the screen is your eyes and yes FPV in general is how you fly. I have 4 drones and have been flying recreationally and commercially for 4 years and the keys have been situational awareness and keeping an eye on the screen not the drone as it is way gone and out of sight. Water is not an issue as long as you stay 10 or 12 feet up. What happens is when accelerating the bird tends to drop an if it sees now solid material underneath it could splash. I normally start at 18 feet and go from there to be safe. Another tip is when flying back to the home position and getting close to where VLOS is actually possible turn the bird around and fly backwards as the sticks will operate in a normal manner instead of opposites.

As with all things, practice practice practice. If you are flying around a open area the VLOS is practical and you will do little screen time. however in the real world VLOS is a fallacy as most pilots fly in diverse scenic areas full of trees, valleys or large structures and VLOS is not possible so the screen is your eyes and yes FPV in general is how you fly. I have 4 drones and have been flying recreationally and commercially for 4 years and the keys have been situational awareness and keeping an eye on the screen not the drone as it is way gone and out of sight. Water is not an issue as long as you stay 10 or 12 feet up. What happens is when accelerating the bird tends to drop an if it sees now solid material underneath it could splash. I normally start at 18 feet and go from there to be safe. Another tip is when flying back to the home position and getting close to where VLOS is actually possible turn the bird around and fly backwards as the sticks will operate in a normal manner instead of opposites.
Thanks! That is a good piece of advice about turning the bird around on return home. I appreciate your insight.

Reactions: old man mavic
Yes. Things that are far away will certainly be in the center box, but as you get closer, they will move to the outer box areas. If they don't, and remain in the center box, then you need to take action to avoid them.

Here is an example video using the technique. The video clips have been reversed for "effect", but you can get an idea of how close you can come. The real close sequences are about 50 seconds into the video.
Beautiful footage. So serene. I see how the tree lines were in the outer 1/3 boxes. Perfect. I’ll try this with the MM and let you know how it goes.

The comment is always made about using a spotter whenever using goggles, why is that. With any kind of distance between you and the aircraft it can't be seen except for the screen (especially with the MM) it disappears from site so quickly with either the trees or obstacles at least if you're using goggles you are in the pilots seat correct? Just guessing how it works since I haven't flown yet let alone used the goggles.
Found out the hard way.... when using goggles, your AC may fly behind a building. Resulting in a quick disconnect. You can only see forward and not able to realize a rock, hill or building is now in the way of your radio signal. Thus you need a spotter.

I've flown RC for almost 40 years. Obviously, that was all under direct visualization since for almost all of that flying over the decades since there was no capability for FPV. I see flying a modern GPS-equipped, stabilized drone like a Mavic or Phantom as utterly boring flying...no challenge to it when all you have to do is take your hands off the sticks and it will stop and wait for you to figure out what to do next. What I enjoy, and my sole purpose for owning a Mavic 2 and Phantom 4, is use as a photographic tool. It allows acquisition of really unique images that one just can't get from the ground with a camera. In that regard...I use autonomous flight (Litchi) routinely, and as an enhancement to controlling the drone accurately for photography, I fly almost exclusively FPV with goggles. I found that to be so interesting that I've started flying freestyle quads and just started building a cinewhoop, and have a DJI Air Unit that I'm going to put in an FPV wing.

Bottom line, you'll need to fly your Mavic using both your controller and direct vision. You won't have to take it out very far to completely lose your orientation as to what way it's flying, and if that's all the farther you're flying it, you'll ultimately get bored because there is no challenge.
[/QUOTE
What is
I've flown RC for almost 40 years. Obviously, that was all under direct visualization since for almost all of that flying over the decades since there was no capability for FPV. I see flying a modern GPS-equipped, stabilized drone like a Mavic or Phantom as utterly boring flying...no challenge to it when all you have to do is take your hands off the sticks and it will stop and wait for you to figure out what to do next. What I enjoy, and my sole purpose for owning a Mavic 2 and Phantom 4, is use as a photographic tool. It allows acquisition of really unique images that one just can't get from the ground with a camera. In that regard...I use autonomous flight (Litchi) routinely, and as an enhancement to controlling the drone accurately for photography, I fly almost exclusively FPV with goggles. I found that to be so interesting that I've started flying freestyle quads and just started building a cinewhoop, and have a DJI Air Unit that I'm going to put in an FPV wing.

Bottom line, you'll need to fly your Mavic using both your controller and direct vision. You won't have to take it out very far to completely lose your orientation as to what way it's flying, and if that's all the farther you're flying it, you'll ultimately get bored because there is no challenge.
What is an FPV wing?

What is an FPV wing?

opterra.jpg

Last edited:
Found out the hard way.... when using goggles, your AC may fly behind a building. Resulting in a quick disconnect. You can only see forward and not able to realize a rock, hill or building is now in the way of your radio signal. Thus you need a spotter.
When flying with goggles you need a spotter in all cases.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial