DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot from Worthing, UK

Ok, so the local guys know the score with this.
Basically, an offshore windfarm is nearing completion. This excavator, designed to work in shallow seawater experienced 'problems' and could not make it back to the safety of the shingle beach.

Cue, one mullered piece of equipment, thats currently seen two high tides wash over it. With more to follow until they can retrieve it.

Flying in with caution from altitude to assess the layout. Safety boat to warn other mariners.

IMG_1011.JPG

No attempt has been made to contain the diesel fuel leaking from the excavator. The slick is easily seen drifting on the outgoing tide.

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1015.JPG

Getting in for some closeups.

Very difficult when viewed on a tiny iphone screen in the sunshine!

IMG_1016.JPG IMG_1017.JPG IMG_1018.JPG

I launched from the beach in front of the white flats due to parking my van.

This was my first foray over water!

Picture taken when RTH was engaged and at 30mtrs.
IMG_1019.JPG

This was it a week or so prior to it's swimming lessons...

IMG_1010.JPG

Reactions: Soundtekk and Pedro
I popped out to say hello this evening..

Oh and I frightened a gull at 1:23 in the video. Was a hazy evening with the sun setting, you couldn't see any of the turbines in the wind farm.

https://youtu.be/SWunHSKNefM

digger2.jpg digger1.jpg

Nice one Pedro.

I hear they are awaiting on a special barge coming from Holland to salvage the excavator.
I may have to be dismantled due to the weight!

I guess all the diesel has been washed out of the fuel tank now?

There is still oil or fuel leaking out of it Steve, you can see it quite clearly.. I didn't get as close as you did as there were a few gulls about and they're the only thing I worry about when flying over the sea, one clip and she'd be in the drink.. :)

Btw, what a totally mind deadening job the guys on the watch boat have just sitting there 24/7.. Unless they like fishing!

That seabd is just pure sand for miles, so crap for fishing.
Not deep either!

I cannot honestly believe they have not even attempted a spill containment effort?!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato