DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot - Hi from San Diego

earlyretirement

Reactions
I’m totally new to drones but love technology. I just bought a Mavic Pro last week and been really enjoying flying it.

A big thanks to all of you that have shared valuable and helpful and informative posts.

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC PRO MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf
*MAVIC PRO PLATINUM MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171123/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual V1.8.pdf
*MAVIC AIR QUICK START GUIDE: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic Air/Mavic Air Quick Start Guide v1.0 .pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

I’m totally new to drones but love technology. I just bought a Mavic Pro last week and been really enjoying flying it.

A big thanks to all of you that have shared valuable and helpful and informative posts.
Howdy from Wyoming @earlyretirement , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . Thumbswayup

Ah yeah you’re close. We will have to meet up sometime and fly our drones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nathanmot
Awesome! im in Carlsbad. You should head over to the Southwest regional topic, we have some conversations on San Diego area flying. I actually fly around black mountain a lot for practice.

Reactions: earlyretirement
Awesome! im in Carlsbad. You should head over to the Southwest regional topic, we have some conversations on San Diego area flying. I actually fly around black mountain a lot for practice.

Cool! Yeah around Black Mountain is perfect. Lots of hang gliders and hot air balloons here daily so makes for some great scenery.

I like to sit in a chair and fly around at Carlsbad state beach. I usually setup in front of the power plant half way down the cliff.

Reactions: Ktmrydr827
Looks like a good place to be! Welcome and keep sharing the vids, love to see them

Ah, will do. That's great to hear there is a more regional forum. Sounds like a lot of pilots from San Diego area.

Awesome Fellas! Yeah I’m good to meet you all and get acquainted. Black Mountain seems like a good meet up place if we decide to fly.

@earlyretirement nice vid. How far did you fly out your drone? I live in between 2 mountains (Sycamore Creek) in Poway and did a fly test with my 2 boys. Went out too far and lost sight of it. Being a first time drone owner, it freaked me out. **** good thing for that return to home command.

Reactions: earlyretirement
Awesome Fellas! Yeah I’m good to meet you all and get acquainted. Black Mountain seems like a good meet up place if we decide to fly.

@earlyretirement nice vid. How far did you fly out your drone? I live in between 2 mountains (Sycamore Creek) in Poway and did a fly test with my 2 boys. Went out too far and lost sight of it. Being a first time drone owner, it freaked me out. **** good thing for that return to home command.

Hi Kantoosion. Yeah, Black Mountain area would be perfect to meet up so definitely send me a PM and we can coordinate. My first flight I went out about 8,000 feet (1.5 miles). The second time the other day I was golfing over at Torrey Pines and on the way back home I pulled over in Del Mar and flew it towards La Jolla and managed 15,500 feet (almost 3 miles) and back.

I know what they say about line of sight but the reality is once it's up past 200+ feet and not too much distance it's really hard to spot.

I watched dozens and dozens of videos online before getting it over the past year so I don't feel nervous at all when I lose sight of it. Probably not a good thing but it is what it is.

I love the Del Mar flights over the lagoon. I like to wait for a train to come by and get low and film
Nathan, I'm 5 minutes from that lagoon...is that the one by the race track ..... both sides of the 5 ?
Where do you launch from when you fly there.....I'm looking for a "secluded" spot where nobody bugs me!
I launched once from this parking lot, adjacent to the preserve, and I got some very upset people saying it's "not allowed" etc etc.....so, packed up and left....but do you have a better spot to launch from?

Ah, will do. That's great to hear there is a more regional forum. Sounds like a lot of pilots from San Diego area.
I have a similar video but from "the other side" ....on the eastern edge of SantaLuz.
I launched close to those fields where the baseball park is at the base of black mountain and then I fly west along the canyon.....I can get a couple miles out there!
Ping me of you're flying there one of these weekends......I'd love to meet up with you. I launch from the "RC Park" that's a small distance from the parking lot by the baseball fields. Great open area and kinda just outside the 5 mile line of Palomar Hospital heli pad......so no interference there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada