DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot Looking for Feedback!

Abjones45

Reactions
Hello all,

My name is Andrew and I recently bought my DJI Mavic Air (roughly 2 weeks ago). Since then, I have been shooting in my hometown along the coast of South Carolina. Being close to Myrtle Beach, there are lots of great scenic shots over the Marsh and other water filled areas...

This is my latest video!

Im looking to take my video production to the next level. If you have any tips for a newbie they would all be welcomed and appreciated! Creative feedback helps us all get better shots!

Much love

-Abjones45

Hello all,

My name is Andrew and I recently bought my DJI Mavic Air (roughly 2 weeks ago). Since then, I have been shooting in my hometown along the coast of South Carolina. Being close to Myrtle Beach, there are lots of great scenic shots over the Marsh and other water filled areas...

This is my latest video!

Im looking to take my video production to the next level. If you have any tips for a newbie they would all be welcomed and appreciated! Creative feedback helps us all get better shots!

Much love

-Abjones45

Welcome!
I’d send this video on over to the showcase thread where people show off their work if you’d like as much feedback as possible.
I think you are on the right track and it sounds like you will definitely do what you need to do to get to that next level you’re looking for.
Here is my feedback, but keep in mind I’m pretty new as well.
Slow down on scenic, especially when low to the ground and also when pointing the camera straight down. I like going fast and I like going fast and low but it doesn’t always help maximize your scene. If shooting a scenic, I like it a bit slower to take in the details and colors and shapes and the general scene. Going to fast doesn’t allow the viewer enough time to take in all that you’re scene has to offer. Now, an action shot of some fast moving vehicle for instance, like a motorcycle, jet ski, motor boat or whatever, fast and low would be ideal in my mind.
So basically choose a speed based on subject matter, but also remember you can slow video down in post if your speed was consistent.
Another thing is set your gimbal setting to cinematic or something close to it- go to YouTube for this. (Seriously, this site is awesome but YouTube videos are so incredibly helpful for learning. You can watch people stick movements and see how they match up with how the drone moves, cool helpful stuff like that. And if your looking to step up your game, those you tubers are making a living with their info videos on how to be a better droner.)

I like the technique of going sideways and videoing straight and your pan of that car was relatively smooth, again, go to YouTube to learn how to make it super smooth and Hollywood style.
Also, it can be a bit disconcerting to turn the video while changing altitude, something I noticed happen right at the beginning... that’s just practice, happens to me still. Stick practice. (There is probably a situation where turning and changing altitude, when done smoothly, would look fantastic.... probably would want a moving subject to pan to, hmmmm.
Hey good luck my man. Hope to see your stuff get better and better in the “Photos and Videos” showcase thread!

Marty

welcome aboard!
if you ask they will answer
as far as the video its gorgeous! nice job
Very nice footage- especially for your stage of beginning. At around 1:22-1:27 you could lighten up the foreground (shadow slider).

Reactions: Abjones45
Great video !!

Great video Andrew ... Just wanted to say you are brave for a newbie! My rule number 1 when I was learning, was - never fly anywhere I couldn't walk to, to pick the drone up if it crashed!
Have a look at some vid's about tuning the sensitivity of the 'yaw' control of your Mavic, so that you can include some panning shots in there.
Good work tho' ... have fun and fly safe ...

Welcome to the Forum from the Nature Coast of Florida!

Welcome!
I’d send this video on over to the showcase thread where people show off their work if you’d like as much feedback as possible.
I think you are on the right track and it sounds like you will definitely do what you need to do to get to that next level you’re looking for.
Here is my feedback, but keep in mind I’m pretty new as well.
Slow down on scenic, especially when low to the ground and also when pointing the camera straight down. I like going fast and I like going fast and low but it doesn’t always help maximize your scene. If shooting a scenic, I like it a bit slower to take in the details and colors and shapes and the general scene. Going to fast doesn’t allow the viewer enough time to take in all that you’re scene has to offer. Now, an action shot of some fast moving vehicle for instance, like a motorcycle, jet ski, motor boat or whatever, fast and low would be ideal in my mind.
So basically choose a speed based on subject matter, but also remember you can slow video down in post if your speed was consistent.
Another thing is set your gimbal setting to cinematic or something close to it- go to YouTube for this. (Seriously, this site is awesome but YouTube videos are so incredibly helpful for learning. You can watch people stick movements and see how they match up with how the drone moves, cool helpful stuff like that. And if your looking to step up your game, those you tubers are making a living with their info videos on how to be a better droner.)

I like the technique of going sideways and videoing straight and your pan of that car was relatively smooth, again, go to YouTube to learn how to make it super smooth and Hollywood style.
Also, it can be a bit disconcerting to turn the video while changing altitude, something I noticed happen right at the beginning... that’s just practice, happens to me still. Stick practice. (There is probably a situation where turning and changing altitude, when done smoothly, would look fantastic.... probably would want a moving subject to pan to, hmmmm.
Hey good luck my man. Hope to see your stuff get better and better in the “Photos and Videos” showcase thread!

Marty
Hi marty,

First off thanks for the tip on the correct feed to post in! i wasn't positive on where to post at first so I figured I would try a few and see where I got the most feedback.

Second, I have been rifling through youtube videos left and right to learn the bulk of the techniques in that video, but I like your speed comment. The one about going with the speed of what you are trying to capture! I never thought of it like that, and I admit to being a shaky on turning slow and smooth. Any tips on whether I turn down my yaw sensitivity or do I mainly fly in cinema mode to aid with this?

Finally thank you for taking the time to help me out! I really do appreciate the level of support this forum has given since I joined!

-Abjones45

Reactions: Imagineimagery
Very nice footage- especially for your stage of beginning. At around 1:22-1:27 you could lighten up the foreground (shadow slider).
I agree with you. I was messing with a new ND filter at the time and I didn't fix it in post :(

Great video Andrew ... Just wanted to say you are brave for a newbie! My rule number 1 when I was learning, was - never fly anywhere I couldn't walk to, to pick the drone up if it crashed!
Have a look at some vid's about tuning the sensitivity of the 'yaw' control of your Mavic, so that you can include some panning shots in there.
Good work tho' ... have fun and fly safe ...
I used to fly an old Phantom years ago but it had been away since I had been behind the sticks! I started in open fields and in the circle my house is on, but none of that is worth editing and making into a video, if you know what I mean!?

As for the Yaw sensitivity, do you have specific settings you'd recommend?

I appreciate the feedback, and thank you for the kind words

I found this for you-

I haven’t read it all the way through but it looks like it may be helpful.

One thing I found was that when I manually changed a setting, I needed to hit the enter button in order to make the change apply. I kept making an adjustment and then clicking the next slider to adjust without hitting the return first- I believe the settings were not changing because of this. I’m not sure about this but I’m doing something incorrectly as I am have had to change the gimbal and yaw setting numerous times.
If you find an awesome link, send it over to me!

I found this for you-

I haven’t read it all the way through but it looks like it may be helpful.

One thing I found was that when I manually changed a setting, I needed to hit the enter button in order to make the change apply. I kept making an adjustment and then clicking the next slider to adjust without hitting the return first- I believe the settings were not changing because of this. I’m not sure about this but I’m doing something incorrectly as I am have had to change the gimbal and yaw setting numerous times.
If you find an awesome link, send it over to me!
Sounds good I will take a look! Thanks for the help and I hope I can figure it out for the both of us!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial