DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot on mavic, used to phantom. Anything I should know?

Red_Raven

Reactions
Hi Im getting my mavic tomorrow, I'm quite used to phantom.
I'm wondering is there anything crucial to know before flight?
And should I update firmware when I receive it? I ask because I'm reading about issues with latest update?

Latest firmware is fine on it's own and the Go4 app - but both Litchi and Autopilot have issued statements to say their software has problems with the .500 firmware.

Litchi is OK with waypoint missions but not with some other modes - whereas Autopilot is OK with POI & focus modes but not waypoints!

Reactions: Red_Raven
Several differences, One is that you no longer have a switch for ATTI mode.

I'm wondering is there anything crucial to know before flight?
Before flying, it would be a good idea to read the Mavic manual. You can download it from the Mavic downloads page. I'm not sure which Phantom you've been flying, but you will find differences between the Mavic and all Phantoms.

Also, you can find a lot of good Mavic tips at MavicHelp.com.

Autopilot will work with firmware version 1.03.0200 or below, I guess Litchi is the same so if your Mavic arrives with that firmware and you use those third party apps it might be worth holding off the upgrade.

Once difference that I encounter is because its much lower to the ground than the Phantom you need a better surface to land on. If you land on grass for example you will run the risk of overloading the gimbal and cutting a bit more grass with the props.

Aside from that you'll notice you'll charge the controller more as the battery in there must be tiny in comparison to the Phantom controllers.

Reactions: tanasit
Is there any replacement / workaround?
There have been many many requests to include a soft switch for ATTI mode on the Mavic, but no indication that there ever will be one. But, if you never switch on ATTI mode on your Phantom, then you won't miss having a switch on the Mavic. Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to manually use ATTI mode unless you are trying to qualify for a commercial license.

The Mavic will switch between GPS and OPTI on its own, depending on GPS strength, but you wouldn't know it without the controller informing you, it's so seamless. Contrary to what many might tell you, the Mavic is not likely to go "haywire" when switching between modes on its own; it is rock-steady no matter which P-mode it is in. If you find yourself in a situation where the Mavic goes to ATTI mode, like say, 50m up and a sudden loss of GPS (which is very unlikely) your piloting skills would be tested in getting it back home on a windy day. And the controller always announces when it enters ATTI mode, so you're aware you're losing automatic positioning.

Reactions: tanasit
There have been many many requests to include a soft switch for ATTI mode on the Mavic, but no indication that there ever will be one. But, if you never switch on ATTI mode on your Phantom, then you won't miss having a switch on the Mavic. Honestly, I don't know why anyone would want to manually use ATTI mode unless you are trying to qualify for a commercial license.

The Mavic will switch between GPS and OPTI on its own, depending on GPS strength, but you wouldn't know it without the controller informing you, it's so seamless. Contrary to what many might tell you, the Mavic is not likely to go "haywire" when switching between modes on its own; it is rock-steady no matter which P-mode it is in. If you find yourself in a situation where the Mavic goes to ATTI mode, like say, 50m up and a sudden loss of GPS (which is very unlikely) your piloting skills would be tested in getting it back home on a windy day. And the controller always announces when it enters ATTI mode, so you're aware you're losing automatic positioning.

I find it crucial to know how to fly in atti, you won't learn that without practice.
And it's a while lot of fun in my opinion, so I would prefer that switch.

In case of TBE due to Compass issue or magnetic interference, Switching to ATTI mode will avoid crash. I also owned Phantom and I really Mavic has a switch for ATTI.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ