DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot Over Water - Mavic Pro Banks On Its Own

AceDJ123

Reactions
While doing a flight at a local park the other day, my Mavic did something strange while flying over a pond at about 75ft...it stated banking on its own first left...then right.

I started the flight with a full battery, in P-Mode with 16+ GPS satellites and all onboard sensors engaged. The Mavic responded perfectly to my controller inputs until I was about to come out of a turn that had brought me out over water. The Mavic just went into a left bank...then into a right bank. When I noticed the Mavic was no longer tracking my inputs, I immediately tried to increase altitude thinking there may be some interference. The aircraft did raise and then came back under control. I did happen to look at the screen during this time and saw that the controller was reporting full signal strength from the Mavic and no warning of interference popped up in the Go 4 app.

Piloting over water is nerve-racking enough, but to have the Mavic suddenly do something unexpected, makes it even more of an adventure!

Weather during the flight was clear skies, temperature of about 52 degrees F with absolutely no wind. After looking at the footage I captured, I thought it could have been downward VPS detecting a bird underneath it and taking action or I got caught in a thermal, but I would love opinions. I've since read that having downward VPS on over water may be bad. The water was almost completely still at the time and there was a massive sun reflection.

Last edited:
Are you in fixed wing mode??
This from msinger: Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Log is up: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

A message of Speed Error was up during the time of the banking. After looking up "Speed Error" another forum member said they spoke with DJI about that condition, and was told that it could happen if there were not enough GPS satellites being tracked (my Mavic was tracking 19 at the time) or if the compass wasn't calibrated (I had done a compass calibration earlier that morning).

Well you are very lucky to have gained control of yours! I however was not[emoji17] this happened to me on day 4 of unboxing my MP and just the 4th flight with hardly 13 mins total flight time. After sending all data and spending 11 days in frigid 20* weather and 5’ of water I found it. Tried all ways possible to dry it out. Couple days passed and it turned on but was giving me a ESC error... [emoji30] sent it to dji and a month later I’m expecting my new replacement to hit my door step Friday. They reviewed the data log and confirmed it was not my error but a malfunction with the drone. But I DID turn off all OA sensors bc I knew I was going over water in some areas. Idk but it was def a horrid sight watching you drone fly out of sight banking into a rock cliff and then finding its way to the bottom of a creek

Well you are very lucky to have gained control of yours! I however was not[emoji17] this happened to me on day 4 of unboxing my MP and just the 4th flight with hardly 13 mins total flight time. After sending all data and spending 11 days in frigid 20* weather and 5’ of water I found it. Tried all ways possible to dry it out. Couple days passed and it turned on but was giving me a ESC error... [emoji30] sent it to dji and a month later I’m expecting my new replacement to hit my door step Friday. They reviewed the data log and confirmed it was not my error but a malfunction with the drone. But I DID turn off all OA sensors bc I knew I was going over water in some areas. Idk but it was def a horrid sight watching you drone fly out of sight banking into a rock cliff and then finding its way to the bottom of a creek

Another scary story, sorry for your trouble.

Another scary story, sorry for your trouble.

Yea man it’s been a heck of a ride these past couple weeks from not hearing a thing from dji in regards to my case other than “it’s under investigation”, “please be patient”, “ I’m sorry for your inconvenience”. You know all he typical script reading bologna! I’m just glad that I woke up yesterday and found an email saying they are sending me s new one free of charge covered under warranty! It’ll be a cold day in hell before I do that again [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memotec