DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New Pilot taking off from Houston!

Garritynet

Reactions
Just purchased my very first drone!

I am an avid amateur photographer and I also enjoy camping, the outdoors (not necessarily in Houston) and visiting the West Texas Deserts whenever possible. I've been working a lot these past few months which means I've been thinking about my interest more than participating in them and I've decided that once things slow down at work I want to try out aerial piloting and photography. I also hope to keep my new craft in my Jeep on road trips for fun aerial recon when I'm out off road. I don't plan to do anything dangerous like rely on it for orientation but I thought it would be super cool to be able to take a birds eye view of my surroundings and investigate areas I don't have the time or capability to access provided it's legal and I'm not bothering anyone with the noise. Anyway I just thought a drone would make a great addition to my hobbies.

I was originally going to get a used-but-not-really Mavic Pro on ebay. I see basically new ones going for $600 and by my understanding the Pro is a mature and competent product. Plus it just seemed like a very reasonable amount to spend. Then I started reading online and seriously considered the Spark before eventually settling on the Mavic Air. It was only about a hundred dollars more than a used Pro and I liked the smaller size for when I'm going to be carrying it around in my pack/camera bag. I ran into a serious problem though when I tried to purchase from the DJI store. Somehow I bought a Mavic Pro 2 instead. I knew for sure that of all the drones I looked at I wasn't going to buy the Pro 2 and then I bought it anyway completely invalidating my hours and hours of reading and internal deliberation on the most sensible purchase. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's bigger than the Air but still smaller than my Mamiya 645 and weighs only a little more than my Nikon F3 and I carry both of those everywhere so no regrets on the larger size.

I also got the $11 slip cover and gimbal cover and will get a couple of batteries and a car charger eventually. I don't need a special case for it, it'll either go in a camera bag or one of the existing equipment bags in my jeep.

Now I just head over to the FAA website for registration info, figure out how to mount my giant phone to the controller and learn everything I can about safe flying before it gets here. I have learned a lot and met many great people on internet forums and I'm happy to have found this one!

I am an avid amateur photographer and I also enjoy camping, the outdoors (not necessarily in Houston) and visiting the West Texas Deserts whenever possible. I've been working a lot these past few months which means I've been thinking about my interest more than participating in them and I've decided that once things slow down at work I want to try out aerial piloting and photography. I also hope to keep my new craft in my Jeep on road trips for fun aerial recon when I'm out off road. I don't plan to do anything dangerous like rely on it for orientation but I thought it would be super cool to be able to take a birds eye view of my surroundings and investigate areas I don't have the time or capability to access provided it's legal and I'm not bothering anyone with the noise. Anyway I just thought a drone would make a great addition to my hobbies.

I was originally going to get a used-but-not-really Mavic Pro on ebay. I see basically new ones going for $600 because and by my understanding the Pro is a mature and competent product. Plus it just seemed like a very reasonable amount to spend. Then I started reading online and seriously considered the Spark before eventually settled on the Mavic Air. It was only about a hundred dollars more than a used Pro and I liked the smaller size for when I'm going to be carrying it around in my pack/camera bag. I ran into a serious problem though when I tried to purchase from the DJI store. Somehow I bought a Mavic Pro 2 instead. I knew for sure that of all the drones I looked at I wasn't going to buy the Pro 2 and then I bought it anyway completely invalidating my hours and hours of reading and internal deliberation on the most sensible purchase. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's bigger than the Air but still smaller than my Mamiya 645 and weighs only a little more than my Nikon F3 and I carry both of those everywhere so no regrets.

I also got the $11 slip cover and gimbal cover and will get batteries eventually. I don't need a special case for it, it'll either go in a camera bag or one of the existing equipment bags in my jeep.

Now I just head over to the FAA website for registration info, figure out how to mount my giant phone to the controller and learn everything I can about safe flying before it gets here. I have learned a lot and met many great people on forums and I'm happy to have found this one!
Howdy from Wyoming @Garritynet , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome to our forum .Hope you find all the resources you seek and look forward
to any photos or videos you might post .
Any issues just ask.
Enjoy
0rojyyg-png.48130

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s.
Enjoy the forum! Thumbswayup
**You can look for other local flyers here - Regional Meet-Ups & Local Flyers

Welcome to the forum! :)

I was originally going to get a used-but-not-really Mavic Pro on ebay. I see basically new ones going for $600 and by my understanding the Pro is a mature and competent product. Plus it just seemed like a very reasonable amount to spend. Then I started reading online and seriously considered the Spark before eventually settling on the Mavic Air. It was only about a hundred dollars more than a used Pro and I liked the smaller size for when I'm going to be carrying it around in my pack/camera bag. I ran into a serious problem though when I tried to purchase from the DJI store. Somehow I bought a Mavic Pro 2 instead. I knew for sure that of all the drones I looked at I wasn't going to buy the Pro 2 and then I bought it anyway completely invalidating my hours and hours of reading and internal deliberation on the most sensible purchase. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's bigger than the Air but still smaller than my Mamiya 645 and weighs only a little more than my Nikon F3 and I carry both of those everywhere so no regrets on the larger size.

I also got the $11 slip cover and gimbal cover and will get a couple of batteries and a car charger eventually. I don't need a special case for it, it'll either go in a camera bag or one of the existing equipment bags in my jeep.

Now I just head over to the FAA website for registration info, figure out how to mount my giant phone to the controller and learn everything I can about safe flying before it gets here. I have learned a lot and met many great people on internet forums and I'm happy to have found this one!

Welcome! I live in the Houston area and also like off-roading in my Jeep. Let me know if you ever want to go out flying. I was out at Lake Houston this past weekend and got some good footage of one of the dredges they have out there.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Enjoy your new Mavic, Fly safe and have fun!

Not sure how site works but glad to see a new Mavic pilot. I never owned a drone before. I’m a sailor so good with navigation less sure about all restrictions around. Look forward to seeing how you fly.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

Not sure how site works but glad to see a new Mavic pilot. I never owned a drone before. I’m a sailor so good with navigation less sure about all restrictions around. Look forward to seeing how you fly.
Well you picked a thread to post in that was started in 2018 and
the member you quoted hasn’t been on since Sept of 19.
No matter though you will learn the forum as well as anything
else you want to know. It’s all here ?
Welcome to the forum ?

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair