DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot who got confronted when flying, I need to check I'm in the right here.

Personally, I try to fly in places that have few people in the area, to avoid confrontations.

Try Drone Scene , it will let you know if you are good to fly at the location you want to, cheers Len
Hi Len, sadly I have learned to use Drone Scene as a 'guide' but with caution.... it shows where people have flown, as opposed to where you are allowed to fly. Digging a bit more into local bye-laws you soon see many spots re sadly 'illegal'.... YMMV

Sorry to ear you had this annoyance, lots of stigma on drones still

1. Print out CAP 2012 to show them, highlight the "Fly over uninvolved people, but not over crowds" and "Legacy (placed on market before 1 Jan 23)" and whatever else you want.... that can demonstrate anyone can fly that weight of drone over people and near people, with no limitation to fly in "residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas"

2. As for flying drones there, see this website, and you can see it says "Flying drones over and around Red Castle is not permitted without prior authorisation from the Red Castle landowner and should be avoid during the breeding season of the fulmars who nest in the ruin from early January to late September", so it's not banned and you'd probably be fine at the right time....

Also see this informative link. Again point to landowner permission, and lastly this, a bit woolly.... I don't find any bye-laws for the Castle, so are good if it get landowners approval, whoever that is....

2. As for flying drones there, see this website, and you can see it says "Flying drones over and around Red Castle is not permitted without prior authorisation from the Red Castle landowner and should be avoid during the breeding season of the fulmars who nest in the ruin from early January to late September", so it's not banned and you'd probably be fine at the right time....
A lot of owners try to stipulate these kinds of prohibitions, but my understanding is that in fact, they do not control the airspace above their property - this is governed not by the land-owner, but by the Civil Aviation Authority. The land-owner can stipluate that you cannot take off or land on their property, but cannot stipulate that you cannot fly over it. (I expect other, more knowledgeable, contributors to the forum will be able to confirm or correct my understanding)

A lot of owners try to stipulate these kinds of prohibitions, but my understanding is that in fact, they do not control the airspace above their property - this is governed not by the land-owner, but by the Civil Aviation Authority. The land-owner can stipulate that you cannot take off or land on their property, but cannot stipulate that you cannot fly over it. (I expect other, more knowledgeable, contributors to the forum will be able to confirm or correct my understanding)
Yes indeed it's the take off/landing primarily... if they have bye-laws they (the landowner) have a bit more sway... but at the end of the day, legally it is about risk these days since the new CAPs...
Interestingly BMFA members in the UK are allowed to fly model aircraft at NT sites, and drones are being applied for... I asked the main Drone bloke recently

You're right, they're wrong but I know from experience that its hard to have conviction in your knowledge. Oddly, ever since I started wearing a reflective jacket marked 'Drone Pilot' I haven't had a single 'angry man' approach me. Those people who do are out of curiosity and when I explain what I'm doing e.g. "an aerial survey of the new building", they happily walk away (especially when I say that I can't land with them within 30 meters). I've had some lovely conversations with passers by (sadly depleting my batteries but hey-ho). Enjoy your flying!

Unreasonable people are well, just that. Unreasonable.
Of course this probably won't work in Scotland, but when folks are being jerks and demand to see my documentation on anything, I'll oblige, and "accidentally" hand them my concealed weapons permit.;)
Ha! In all of my 32 years of CCW, I never thought of that. Now that is funny.

How does that work out when a police officer asks for a driver's license or a customs official asks for a passport?

I imagine that a police officer or customs official would be uniformed and badged and would properly identify themselves and probably not be asking for a driver's license or passport while the OP is flying the drone but while operating a vehicle or attempting to cross a border…

police.png

I imagine that a police officer or customs official would be uniformed and badged and would properly identify themselves and probably not be asking for a driver's license or passport while the OP is flying the drone but while operating a vehicle or attempting to cross a border…

View attachment 145180

You have a very tolerant dog.

As the other fellow said, "but when folks are being jerks and demand to see my documentation on anything, I'll oblige, and "accidentally" hand them my concealed weapons permit."

I sometimes wonder why some people who get concealed carry permits want to tell everyone. But we're wandering far from drone topics. I'm off to do some yard work.

This sort of thing happens rarely to me, but I first say:
'I cannot safely discuss this with you while I am flying. Wait till I land and we can talk about it.'
If they continue, just say:
'I am certain that I am operating safely and legally. If you are the Police, show a badge and state a specific law that I am violating otherwise, If you are certain that I am in violation, call for the Police or please just step away so I can focus on the task at hand.'
Or: 'Harassing or diverting the attention of a pilot controlling an aircraft in flight IS indeed a violation of the law. Please step away.'
If this happens regularly, wear a GoPro and record the harassment and inform them that they are being recorded.
Nobody has a right to harass or attempt to serve as self-appointed law enforcement.
Greetings from Yorkshire
Agree with this, been there it’s painful but:
You do not have to justify yourself to bystanders
Do not try and get pally or try to educate or offer to show video
Tell them to stop interrupting whilst you are “working” as it is illegal!

read the above quote well, remember the gist so you can spout it out, practice saying it.
Do not bother with any conversation, do not make eye contact it’s just not worth it and will make zero difference.

If you haven’t got your operators ID, go get it even though it’s not necessary for sub 250gms but you’ll learn the answers to your initial questions, it’s only £9 pa

Hi I'm a bit of a new pilot and had a bit of an unfortunate incident today.

I was flying in Red castle near Inverness today the weather was clear and no wind. I took off from a small car park (public land) and flew out and over the water, at some point a fellow who I think was sitting near by said "I wasn't allowed to fly within 50m of people". I explained my drone was less than 250g and hence was able to fly within 50m of people. He then grumbled that I was disturbing the peace and walked off, I put it down to someone who has a hatred of drones and moved on. I was conscious of the people there and felt like I kept a good respectable from them, although most likely may not have been always greater 50m but I felt I was not causing a nusicane.

Shortly after another unrelated man then shouted at me that I was "breaking the law". He said he had prior spoken to the police and drone flying was not allowed here due to the proximity to the houses and it scaring the horses. I explained to him there is no regulations stopping me since my drone was less than 250g and there is no restrictions from flying in this area (I triple checked this but if anyone knows different please let me know) and since I was approximately 100m from the horses at take off (and no closer) I suspect they wouldn't even be aware of it. He also mentioned I was not allowed to fly near at the near the castle either since it was a historic site. Again after looking into this I see no such regulations or requirement for permission but again I could be wrong.

After he approached me I said I would to stop flying since I don't want to antagonise him but informed him I believed (and still do) I was well within my rights to fly here. Annoyingly I didn't have the CAA site handy to show him because I believe he is quoting old regulations before the 250g limit got introduced.

Since I'm a new pilot i'm a bit raw and I can't help but feel I got a bit bullied from flying there by a couple of guys who seem to dislike drones. Still I want to check that I'm not misinterpreting the rules or otherwise was mistaken.
Tell them to call the police if they have a problem, but I would check the regs for your country and city as they can vary per city/town. Forums are a great place for us to all get information, but honestly if you want 100 percent accurate information check with your local law enforcement and the regulators of the sky directly. This information can also be found on their websites.

Don't take peoples words here as not everyone lives where you do in the forums.

Reactions: ICHOTT
Late to this thread, and local to this area. I'm friends with a number of wildlife enthusiasts in the area, and Redcastle is an area that at least one breeding osprey pair nest. As ospreys are highly lauded and protected here, maybe this is one mitigating factor for locals being over protective, very like they are with powerboats and dolphins. Drones can interfere with raptors in general if misused.

Reactions: LoudThunder

I was flying in Red castle near Inverness today the weather was clear and no wind. I took off from a small car park (public land) and flew out and over the water, at some point a fellow who I think was sitting near by said "I wasn't allowed to fly within 50m of people". I explained my drone was less than 250g and hence was able to fly within 50m of people. He then grumbled that I was disturbing the peace and walked off, I put it down to someone who has a hatred of drones and moved on. I was conscious of the people there and felt like I kept a good respectable from them, although most likely may not have been always greater 50m but I felt I was not causing a nusicane.

Shortly after another unrelated man then shouted at me that I was "breaking the law". He said he had prior spoken to the police and drone flying was not allowed here due to the proximity to the houses and it scaring the horses. I explained to him there is no regulations stopping me since my drone was less than 250g and there is no restrictions from flying in this area (I triple checked this but if anyone knows different please let me know) and since I was approximately 100m from the horses at take off (and no closer) I suspect they wouldn't even be aware of it. He also mentioned I was not allowed to fly near at the near the castle either since it was a historic site. Again after looking into this I see no such regulations or requirement for permission but again I could be wrong.

After he approached me I said I would to stop flying since I don't want to antagonise him but informed him I believed (and still do) I was well within my rights to fly here. Annoyingly I didn't have the CAA site handy to show him because I believe he is quoting old regulations before the 250g limit got introduced.

Since I'm a new pilot i'm a bit raw and I can't help but feel I got a bit bullied from flying there by a couple of guys who seem to dislike drones. Still I want to check that I'm not misinterpreting the rules or otherwise was mistaken.
Read all the replies and too be honest I believe you to be right in your regard of following the rules. One thing I allways do is have my id card and pilots licence card around my neck, this has helped in both of my confronts with non drone folks.
Savesca bit of grief and by default makes you look pro. Just my take on it.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
Been flying for over 5 years now, and have never had someone approach me in that manner.
I fly with two drones, one is Mavic Pro, the other is M2..
The Mavic Pro is very intemaditating to most people, so I take off from a cancelled area if people around.
And do not fly anywhere with people being present, and never fly over them. But, with the M2, because it's so small, most people look at it as a toy. And approach me, and ask where can they buy one of those.
Just curious if any other pilots have had positive experiences with the M2?

The Mini 3 is the saviour under 250 g is the answer officially you have a toy. My M3 will go on ebay.

The Mini 3 is the saviour under 250 g is the answer officially you have a toy. My M3 will go on ebay.
Sadly in the UK it is not a toy.. But the good news is it only needs operator registration and you have the freedom to fly most anywhere there are no NFZs and bylaws

From your description i'd say you're correct.

You're flying a drone under 250g so operating in A1 ( Open Category - Civil Drones | EASA ).

Assuming you've registered with the CAA and have an operator ID (you dont need a flyer) then its fine. Registration requirements for drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Provided there are no airspace restrictions you're good to go.

As for "scaring the horses" its subjective and likely nonsense. Just use common sense as you would with anything else that might scare animals from a motorbike to a chainsaw. Don't go to close.

Its useful to screenshot or print the EASA regs from the website so show if queried.

Reactions: wmrichar
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike