DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New pilot who got confronted when flying, I need to check I'm in the right here.

Dr Spaceman

Reactions
Hi I'm a bit of a new pilot and had a bit of an unfortunate incident today.

I was flying in Red castle near Inverness today the weather was clear and no wind. I took off from a small car park (public land) and flew out and over the water, at some point a fellow who I think was sitting near by said "I wasn't allowed to fly within 50m of people". I explained my drone was less than 250g and hence was able to fly within 50m of people. He then grumbled that I was disturbing the peace and walked off, I put it down to someone who has a hatred of drones and moved on. I was conscious of the people there and felt like I kept a good respectable from them, although most likely may not have been always greater 50m but I felt I was not causing a nusicane.

Shortly after another unrelated man then shouted at me that I was "breaking the law". He said he had prior spoken to the police and drone flying was not allowed here due to the proximity to the houses and it scaring the horses. I explained to him there is no regulations stopping me since my drone was less than 250g and there is no restrictions from flying in this area (I triple checked this but if anyone knows different please let me know) and since I was approximately 100m from the horses at take off (and no closer) I suspect they wouldn't even be aware of it. He also mentioned I was not allowed to fly near at the near the castle either since it was a historic site. Again after looking into this I see no such regulations or requirement for permission but again I could be wrong.

After he approached me I said I would to stop flying since I don't want to antagonise him but informed him I believed (and still do) I was well within my rights to fly here. Annoyingly I didn't have the CAA site handy to show him because I believe he is quoting old regulations before the 250g limit got introduced.

Since I'm a new pilot i'm a bit raw and I can't help but feel I got a bit bullied from flying there by a couple of guys who seem to dislike drones. Still I want to check that I'm not misinterpreting the rules or otherwise was mistaken.

Hi I'm a bit of a new pilot and had a bit of an unfortunate incident today.

I was flying in Red castle near Inverness today the weather was clear and no wind. I took off from a small car park (public land) and flew out and over the water, at some point a fellow who I think was sitting near by said "I wasn't allowed to fly within 50m of people". I explained my drone was less than 250g and hence was able to fly within 50m of people. He then grumbled that I was disturbing the peace and walked off, I put it down to someone who has a hatred of drones and moved on. I was conscious of the people there and felt like I kept a good respectable from them, although most likely may not have been always greater 50m but I felt I was not causing a nusicane.

Shortly after another unrelated man then shouted at me that I was "breaking the law". He said he had prior spoken to the police and drone flying was not allowed here due to the proximity to the houses and it scaring the horses. I explained to him there is no regulations stopping me since my drone was less than 250g and there is no restrictions from flying in this area (I triple checked this but if anyone knows different please let me know) and since I was approximately 100m from the horses at take off (and no closer) I suspect they wouldn't even be aware of it. He also mentioned I was not allowed to fly near at the near the castle either since it was a historic site. Again after looking into this I see no such regulations or requirement for permission but again I could be wrong.

After he approached me I said I would to stop flying since I don't want to antagonise him but informed him I believed (and still do) I was well within my rights to fly here. Annoyingly I didn't have the CAA site handy to show him because I believe he is quoting old regulations before the 250g limit got introduced.

Since I'm a new pilot i'm a bit raw and I can't help but feel I got a bit bullied from flying there by a couple of guys who seem to dislike drones. Still I want to check that I'm not misinterpreting the rules or otherwise was mistaken.
I don't have much to offer in terms of drone regulations in Scotland, but I applaud you for handling those potentially volatile situations with calm and dignity. Good on you.

Oh, if the castle is National Trust, there has been a LOT of threads on the forum here regarding them trying to control overflight of 'their' properties.
It seems to be about photography rights in some of their website type comments, but makes little sense, you can take photos on other types of cameras on the ground.
I think you have to be aware of all UK drone rules and make sure these are followed, but many will just film from around the location, over woodland / open ground etc to avoid any issues.

I had a quick check and Scotland does fall under the usual UK CAA rules, inc sub 250g with camera needing the operator ID, and this on the drone as per regs.

Welcome to the forum.
Unfortunate for you to bump into these grumpy people.

You SEEM to be totally correct in your assessment.

Drones - flying in the open category | Civil Aviation Authority

Assuming you are flying open category, and still have to do the online pilot flyer ID, displayed on the Mini / Mini2 ??

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP2003_EU_Drone_Rules_Factsheet_V7 1.pdf

I'm sure @old man mavic or other knowledgeable UK pilot will be along to clarify.
Yeah I have the Mini 2 with the operator id on it.

Oh, if the castle is National Trust, there has been a LOT of threads on the forum here regarding them trying to control overflight of 'their' properties.
It seems to be about photography rights in some of their website type comments, but makes little sense, you can take photos on other types of cameras on the ground.
I think you have to be aware of all UK drone rules and make sure these are followed, but many will just film from around the location, over woodland / open ground etc to avoid any issues.

I had a quick check and Scotland does fall under the usual UK CAA rules, inc sub 250g with camera needing the operator ID, and this on the drone as per regs.

Had a look the castle is not under national trust, not sure who runs it etc but couldn't find any information online regarding drones. The chap just claimed it was a historic site and the police have informed them drones are not allowed in the area. On reflection it is a very small community that lives there and I feel they have a bit of a thing against drones. I wish they just put up some signs saying please no drones instead of trying to shout at people who are otherwise well within their rights.

Reactions: Galeforce1
I think you are all good to go then, if unclear on the castle and any restrictions (there SHOULDN'T be) try a google search of > (name of castle) drone
See if anything comes up.

Edit - Just did this . . .

Protected as a category B listed building . . .

I can't see anything above to overrule airspace rules, nor can I find anything under the search I suggested (red castle inverness drone) . . .

https://www.google.com/search?q=red+castle+inverness+drone

Just some drone videos and photos etc.

Last edited:
I think you are all good to go then, if unclear on the castle and any restrictions (there SHOULDN'T be) try a google search of > (name of castle) drone
See if anything comes up.
Yeah that's what I normally do. On reflection I feel what happened is this very small community of maybe 4 or 5 houses occasionally they must have had some drone hobbyists in the area and for whatever reason they didn't take kindly to it.

Reactions: Galeforce1
Yeah that's what I normally do. On reflection I feel what happened is this very small community of maybe 4 or 5 houses occasionally they must have had some drone hobbyists in the area and for whatever reason they didn't take kindly to it.

Sure sounds like simple anti drone sentiment.

Maybe if this happens again, assure them you are flying in accordance with all legal requirements, that you respect peoples safety, and the locals peace and quiet (your flights are only 20 mins or so).

If you can get them to talk to you reasonably and with tolerance, maybe offer them some aerial footage of their little community, or to view your device screen to see what your are videoing / photographing.
Good to get them on side if possible.

If they persist is an antagonising way, then maybe you need to say something like . . . you appreciate their concerns, but you are sure you are operating totally within all rules, and if they feel otherwise they should (leave you to fly in safety and) call the police . . . sounds like they might need educating too, if indeed they have their info on local drone flight wrong.

@Dr Spaceman ,hi there fellow flyer,i would advise you to check up on Scottish land access laws ,they do differ to the rules in the rest of the UK with regards to trespass ,as far as the flying is concerned then as long as you follow the drone code have your flyer ID and your operator ID displayed on the outside of the aircraft then you should be good to go ,sometimes even if you are flying legally and are following the rules ,it doesnt mean that your flight may be to the liking of the residents of the place you are flying ,and as you found, diplomacy and polite conversation ,does have the effect of defusing the situation
there have most likely been other drone fliers that have flown there in the past, who may have upset the small community by being rude and not flying within the rules who knows

The problem is well understood. National Trust and others can only ban you from Taking Off and Landing on their property. If you take off outside it and then fly above the minima set up in the rules, they have no command of the sky above them. That is entirely down to the Civil Aviation Authority which, I believe, operates across all the countries of the UK.

It is also my understanding that no licence, either for the aircraft or yourself, is required for a drone below 250g. Bear in mind that anything more than a filter on the lens will take you over the 250g limit and then you need to be registered as a pilot and the aircraft must be registered as well.

It was hard luck that you met two miseries. It has happened to me once only. My chap demanded to see my licence and I said that I would be glad to show it to him in the presence of a police officer if he wanted to organise that. On other occasions people have been very interested in what I am doing. I try to take off and land in places where there is no-one around.

You certainly played your cards right by deciding to land in order to reduce the tension. Well done! Don't let this discourage you.

Best wishes,
Mike

Unreasonable people are well, just that. Unreasonable.
Of course this probably won't work in Scotland, but when folks are being jerks and demand to see my documentation on anything, I'll oblige, and "accidentally" hand them my concealed weapons permit.;)

Unreasonable people are well, just that. Unreasonable.
Of course this probably won't work in Scotland, but when folks are being jerks and demand to see my documentation on anything, I'll oblige, and "accidentally" hand them my concealed weapons permit.;)
How does that work out when a police officer asks for a driver's license or a customs official asks for a passport?

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!

Yeah I have the Mini 2 with the operator id on it.

Had a look the castle is not under national trust, not sure who runs it etc but couldn't find any information online regarding drones. The chap just claimed it was a historic site and the police have informed them drones are not allowed in the area. On reflection it is a very small community that lives there and I feel they have a bit of a thing against drones. I wish they just put up some signs saying please no drones instead of trying to shout at people who are otherwise well within their rights.
Try Drone Scene , it will let you know if you are good to fly at the location you want to, cheers Len

This sort of thing happens rarely to me, but I first say:
'I cannot safely discuss this with you while I am flying. Wait till I land and we can talk about it.'
If they continue, just say:
'I am certain that I am operating safely and legally. If you are the Police, show a badge and state a specific law that I am violating otherwise, If you are certain that I am in violation, call for the Police or please just step away so I can focus on the task at hand.'
Or: 'Harassing or diverting the attention of a pilot controlling an aircraft in flight IS indeed a violation of the law. Please step away.'
If this happens regularly, wear a GoPro and record the harassment and inform them that they are being recorded.
Nobody has a right to harass or attempt to serve as self-appointed law enforcement.

It is also my understanding that no licence, either for the aircraft or yourself, is required for a drone below 250g. Bear in mind that anything more than a filter on the lens will take you over the 250g limit and then you need to be registered as a pilot and the aircraft must be registered as well.

From what I read in the links I attached above, if the drone has a camera, you do need to abide by normal recreational drone requirements, pilot flier ID / drone labelling.
Of course I'm not quite 100% sure (changes often in many places), which is why I had a quick search . . . it could be confusion with EU / older UK rules, but those were CAA website pages that mentioned that.

Sounds like the same hatred for automobiles when they were first introduced.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31