DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you experienced a Karen, male or female?

Was you kaaren Male Or female?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I often wonder exactly what 'over my house' means? Like, was the drone physically over the "concerned person's" house or did he just happen to see a drone in the air, (perhaps directly over the pilots home) and simply said "It was over MY house!"
I'd be like - see that chimney there on your roof? That's over my house - it's higher than MY house. When you see a passenger plane fly by, it's not over your house, could be miles away but it happens to be visible from your perspective, that doesn't mean it's 'over your house'. Or there is anyone taking pictures of your property...I could go on...sigh...
Same idea, no?

...and I love reading Karen threads!

Reactions: jaymc
problem solved!
Good one. But don't you think that drawing more attention to yourself will make it easier for Karens to find and harass you?

I've had many people, including cops, come over and watch and ask question and ask to see the screen, etc. The only "negative" experience I had was my fault. This was awhile back - I was flying over an ancient Indian Mound that happened to be in a state park. A ranger ran over* and told me, repeatedly, to land and stop. I was quite obviously already heading home to land, but he kept repeating himself. I told him I understood and would he please allow me to finish what I'm already doing. We waited and watched while I packed everything up and then informed me that you can't fly inside a state park. I complied without question. The only thing I said above my regular "inside voice" was that, after three times being ordered to land, that it was pretty obvious that I was in the process of doing just that... so let me do it. While I learned a new rule, he could have enforced it a bit more calmly. I have not flown in a state park since...

Point is, other than that, I've had no negative interactions while flying. I realize that ranger was doing his job and my only issue there was his attitude.

* You can see him in the video because I was still filming as I was returning to land.

When something like that happens, I think it a good idea to politely and kindly educate the official about their violation of the law in continuing to distract you while you are flying complying with his lawful order.

And that the potential penalties for that transgression are much much greater than you flying in a state park.

I don't suggest this out of spite. Allowing a drone pilot to focus 100% on operating a flying aircraft, probably the most critical safety rule, officials should be educated if they don't know this rule in the FARs..

When something like that happens, I think it a good idea to politely and kindly educate the official about their violation of the law in continuing to distract you while you are flying complying with his lawful order.

And that the potential penalties for that transgression are much much greater than you flying in a state park.

I don't suggest this out of spite. Allowing a drone pilot to focus 100% on operating a flying aircraft, probably the most critical safety rule, officials should be educated if they don't know this rule in the FARs..
Excellent point!

Just once and I thought I was alone on a remote area on a hillside with vineyards early in the morning, as I was landing I was approached by someone in a car and she asked "is that your drone up there?" and I replied that it was and let her know I was just filming some of the hillside and wasn't aware there was anyone there, which was true.

She still flipped out on me about her right to privacy, etc. What can you do? I was just polite and tried to apologize as she stormed off, I normally wear my reflector vest which I've found to be a great deterrent, people usually look as if it say "oh okay he must be here for a purpose" type of thing.

Reactions: Torque
Just once and I thought I was alone on a remote area on a hillside with vineyards early in the morning, as I was landing I was approached by someone in a car and she asked "is that your drone up there?" and I replied that it was and let her know I was just filming some of the hillside and wasn't aware there was anyone there, which was true.

She still flipped out on me about her right to privacy, etc. What can you do? I was just polite and tried to apologize as she stormed off, I normally wear my reflector vest which I've found to be a great deterrent, people usually look as if it say "oh okay he must be here for a purpose" type of thing.
OK, levity intended: I KNOW I'm a nerd. My wife reminds me of that on a regular basis. Hell, I play banjo... Still, the reflector vest seems a tad nerdy even for ME. While I see the logic in wearing one, I'm afraid I have to give that some further thought. Sorry ;-)

Reactions: TheGroove
OK, levity intended: I KNOW I'm a nerd. My wife reminds me of that on a regular basis. Hell, I play banjo... Still, the reflector vest seems a tad nerdy even for ME. While I see the logic in wearing one, I'm afraid I have to give that some further thought. Sorry ;-)
Hey man, no offense taken. I do a lot of flying in public areas and that's when I typically wear it, with pride! 😁

Reactions: Torque
Hmmm... maybe I'll get one of those vests with "Commercial drone operation in progress" on it. 🤔

Don't be a right fighter!
Just apologize and speak to them politely OR Walk away if they are that angry. Especially if you are just there flying for fun. If I am there for a job Then they can see by the sign why I am there and if person will not relent Well then- I pay the city a good amount of tax dollars to send out officers to argue with angry people!

Reactions: Dangerly and Torque
Nothing here,i am 6’4” and 270lbs, so…..
I'm 6' 8" so maybe that's why I've never had to deal with a Karen/Ken. :) But seriously, Maybe I've been lucky but I've been flying RC since the late seventies and I have yet to encounter a Karen. Lot's of people were interested in a friendly way, especially as flying in the local "community parks" was/is not an issue. I lived in Denver until I was 42 and I have been living in East Texas since 2003. Maybe people in the "rural" areas fall more on the side of letting you have this sort of hobby.

No comment

Yeah.

This is where you and I will never agree.

The pilot was in the the wrong. Maybe even violating FAA regs.

I won't defend the behavior or language of the angry "victim". I will say that anyone that doesn't "get" how totally wrong, and dangerous it was to fly straight at that guy under the tree is just not "getting it" in general.

Regardless of the risk, failing to understand that innocent bystanders enjoying the park are going to be terrified to have a small drone flying straight at them at 40mph is "screw loose" territory, antisocial and selfish in the extreme.

It's also hypocritical, as they certainly wouldn't want someone doing things to them interfering with their concentration and focus flying – i.e. don't distract the pilot or they'll start quoting FAA chapter and verse – but what happens at 2:00 min in that video is just so much ribald fun!

Those of you worried about greater and greater restrictions on this hobby need to get an attitude adjustment... It's not corporations and commercial use plans that are killing it, it's jerks like this that think people sharing the park are just props for them to have fun flying around.

And then someone gets hurt.

And then flying drones is no longer permitted in the park. For good reason.

• Angry
Don't be a right fighter!

Don't be a dangerous jerk!

Go look at 2:00 in that video and tell me what you think about that flying behavior in a shared park.

Reactions: Cafguy
Don't be a dangerous jerk!

Go look at 2:00 in that video and tell me what you think about that flying behavior in a shared park.
I saw a 5" Freestyle on his Bag but I didn't see the drone that he was flying Maybe it was smaller. Yes I would not have gotten that close to the "victim" as Mr. Heron did nor do I take a 5" freestyle to the park! and that could certainly be cause for concern ( Didn't see to many people though) HOWEVER the guy walking up screaming "Stay away from me with that WEAPON! Is either unstable OR was having a very bad day before the drone. Also the guy is carrying a guitar that he could use as a weapon. There is no reason to fly off the handle AT ANYONE for any reason Call the cops--They do have a weapon.
Ken Herron ( the pilot and OP ) and his spotter should have landed and packed up WAY before the whole thing got out of hand! IMO
Edit Sorry OP of the original video not the subject.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: jaymc and Torque
I know what you mean, I would rather be 6'8" 265 and still running a 4.6 40 than wear the vest. But Banjo is cool regardless!

HOWEVER the guy walking up screaming "Stay away from me with that WEAPON! Is either unstable OR was having a very bad day before the drone. Also the guy is carrying a guitar that he could use as a weapon. There is no reason to fly off the handle AT ANYONE for any reason Call the cops--They do have a weapon.
Ken Herron ( the pilot and OP ) and his spotter should have landed and packed up WAY before the whole thing got out of hand! IMO

I agree with everything you said here. The guy totally lost his cool. He didn't strike me as "all there", possibly drunk or on something else.

And once again Heron handled it totally wrong. He seems to have some steroid problem.

If someone gets that way with me, my first statement to them is to call the police. If they continue, I tell them I'm going to call the police if they don't go away. Then, if they don't, I follow through and call the police.

None of that has any thing to do with whether Heron was flying responsibly or not. I'm not on drugs, drunk, detached from reality, or anything else that that guy might be. However, fly a drone at me like that and I'm calling the police immediately, and filing a complaint with the FAA. Heron provoked the confrontation with his likely illegal flying. Arguably he endangered the guy by flying straight at him at high speed. Playing chicken with other people is frowned upon by the FAA.

That's okay with you? You seem rather unconcerned, instead bothered more by the response of the guy that had the drone flown at him.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: jaymc and Cafguy
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members